• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story with crohns

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 20 years ago. My GI hit me with prednisone to put out the fire, then on to pentasa. After a while, I was flaring up, so we got me started on 6MP. The 6MP worked great for probably 17 years! Most days I felt pretty good! Two years ago I started having more and more pain and flair ups. After visits and phone calls to my GI, I jumped back on prednisone. We raised my 6MP dose 2 times until I was at my max. This worked for a few months. Then....here we go again. I started having flair ups. Early this year GI started me on Humira. Nothing really changed. Flair up-prednisone. I knew I can't keep up prednisone long term. My GI set me up with a CT scan. It confirmed 2 narrows near my ileum. We then decide on surgery. My GI picked out my surgeon and hospital. He hit a home run! All involved were great! I had surgery September 23. He had to cut me open, removed 18" if small intestine, smal amount of colon along with appendix, and repaired a third narrow upstream. The lower third of my small ingestine has crohns, but the portion he left appears to respond well to the drugs. I was able to come home on the 4th day.
I am home trying to bounce back now so I thought I would join this forum. I am married male, age 47, with 2 adopted children.

I'm a little concerned about the next few weeks. I will be going back to my GI, and we will be deciding what meds the keep me on. 6mp or humira. I hope not both.

I wanted to say hi and welcome! I hope you are able to find a medication that works for you and gets you back into remission. You mentioned you used to take Humira. I've recently started this and I'm already feeling so much better. How long did you take it before you stopped?

I took humira injections for 6 months. The damage to my small intestine was narrowing caused before I started humira, so it didn't help me. I think the narrowing was scar tissue from many flare ups before I made it to the humira. I do know 2 people that are having good results with it.