• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is Juicing Without Large Intestine ok?

Hi, I've asked on the "My story" forum but didn't get much feedback so I'm hoping I can find a little more advice on here.
I had my entire large intestine removed in 2008 and had a stoma for almost four years. I had my reversal surgery nearly two years ago and have been looking for a diet that would give me more nutrition and not disagree with me. I'm interested in juicing but I'm afraid that because it's already in liquid form, my body won't absorb much of it and it may just go straight through me (cause diarrhea). Because I don't have a large intestine, I don't absorb liquids very well so I've been eating a very limited diet that I know will bulk things up. Is there anyone who has had this surgery and may be familiar with juicing? Is there a supplement I can add to the juices to help with better digestion? Or may have a beneficial diet plan?

:) Thank you!

nogutsnoglory

Are you currently inflamed or dealing with strictures? If not you can use shakes which break down fiber but will bulk you up and give nutrition.

If that's an issue, straight juice is healthy but it will increase diarrhea because you lack a colon to absorb the water and the sugar content rushing into your blood stream may be an irritant.

nogutsnoglory

I drink juices all the time with my ileostomy. When the colon is no longer there the small intestine does begin to try to play part of the role. The GI tract is very smart but it's true that liquid will never be absorbed in the same fashion.