• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

:):) Met the doctor and yesssssssssss good news only!!!:):)

HELLO FRIENDS :) Went to meet my doctor yesterday with lots of questions in mind to ask her..with a little bit of fear.. But yeeeeeeeeeeee :)at the end of it all i received only good news and encouragement :) :) :) Ok here it goes how it went :) First question i asked her was what does ? Crohn's mean in my colonoscopy report. So she told its a clinical term wherin a question mark in front of Crohn's means that it has to be co-related with the biopsy report. So she told that i have Crohn's. (Well this is not the best news but the best is yet to come). Next i asked does pranayama helps. To this she replied that it does !! She has seen and heard from two of her patients that they have been relieved off the medicines but one thing they do religiously is practise pranayama or meditation and are in remission :) :) Next i asked does Crohn's come back after remission. So she told that if we can maintain diet, remain stress free then it may not come again :) I told that i'm having trouble in getting my stomach clear and having gastric touble. The doctor gave a medicine for 15 days :) She asked me to include yoghurt daily as it contains good bacteria and is a must !! :) I have been told that my Crohn's is mild and more importantly not to get too much into thinking that i have this disease or else it will bog me down :) So yeah folks, after coming back fom her chamber i am a new person :) :) And i'm raring to go !!!!! I will tell you all about my progress with my condition and whether Pranayama helps me or not :) But i can tell you one thing that i am totally confident that i will lead a normal life :) :) We are no different from others barring few problems. Now my goal is to remove stress and relieve the symptoms :) :) And i pray that all of you should totally be cured :) :)

the dairy in the yogurt may bother you, so if it does, take daily probiotics in pill form. There are numerous kinds, so test some until you find one that seems to balance you. Congrats on the news. Yes, yoga does seem to help. I found the hot yoga very good for me.

If the dairy in the probiotics is bad for you try kevita -- I had one today for the first time today, normally I have watery stools, but this time although the stool looked really soft, there was no water! This happend for 2 bowel movements after that too!

ASISH, that is great news, and I hope you find your way with pranayama, meditation and diet.
I find home-made yoghurt that is fermented for 24 hours to be a great source of probiotics. (This is recommended on the SCD diet which many people on the forum are on for crohn's). Because it is fermented for so long it has more probiotics, and nearly no lactose, so there is a better chance of being able to tolerate it.
I have been practicing yoga for a very long time, and recently I started including some pranayama techniques in the hope that it would help with the crohn's. But I didn't have any guidance from a teacher, just what I looked up in various books about pranayama. I would be really interested if you could describe which pranayama techniques specifically are thought to be beneficial for crohn's?

ASISH, that is great news, and I hope you find your way with pranayama, meditation and diet.
I find home-made yoghurt that is fermented for 24 hours to be a great source of probiotics. (This is recommended on the SCD diet which many people on the forum are on for crohn's). Because it is fermented for so long it has more probiotics, and nearly no lactose, so there is a better chance of being able to tolerate it.
I have been practicing yoga for a very long time, and recently I started including some pranayama techniques in the hope that it would help with the crohn's. But I didn't have any guidance from a teacher, just what I looked up in various books about pranayama. I would be really interested if you could describe which pranayama techniques specifically are thought to be beneficial for crohn's?
Hello Helena101 :) You very rightly said that the home-made yoghurt is the best and most beneficial. In india its home-made mostly so in that matter we are lucky. And moreover the home-made yoghurt also contains good bacterial and works as a good pro-biotic and as well keeps the stomach cool :)
Regarding the pranayama, even though there is no specific type of pranayam for Crohn's but several people have benefited with the "Kapal Bhati" pranayam. There are types of pranayam namely "Bhastrika","Kapalbhati","Anulom Vilom","Bhramari" & "Udgeeth". If you do this regularly then i am sure you will reap benefits :) But one word of caution. Don't do it forcibly and read the instructions carefully. And gradually build your timing for doing it ie initially 25 breaths and then rest for 1 min, then as days goes and you feel comfortable do it for 5 mins and so on. Keep taking rests in between. Other than this these pranayamas won't do you any harm...only Magic :) If you search in google you'l find the instruction as well as videos :) For any further help please feel free to ask anytime :) Good luck :)

Roughly described Kapalbhati pranayam is the one where you just concentrate on releasing the breath forcibly. As you do this your tummy goes inside each time you force the breath out. By this we are working out the abdominal muscles as well as forcing the carbon dioxide out. But do this putting less pressure. For better instructions always search it on google and look out for the videos :) But this does surely help !! I am confident about this.

Thanks ASISH, I am familiar with most of the techniques you described, apart from Ugdeeth which I have never heard of. I was doing bastrika, ujayi, and anulom vilom for about a 15 minute stretch altogether (about 5 minutes each, maybe only a couple of minutes for bastrika). Your enthusiasm is contagious though, I will try again to add pranayama to my daily routine, and build up to include the additional ones you mentioned! Thank you and take care. :)

Thanks ASISH, I am familiar with most of the techniques you described, apart from Ugdeeth which I have never heard of. I was doing bastrika, ujayi, and anulom vilom for about a 15 minute stretch altogether (about 5 minutes each, maybe only a couple of minutes for bastrika). Your enthusiasm is contagious though, I will try again to add pranayama to my daily routine, and build up to include the additional ones you mentioned! Thank you and take care. :)
Helena101, Udgeeth is nothing but chanting "om" word many times :) It is said in India that the word "Om" is sacred and causes vibrations inside the body which calms the mind. The technique requires you to slowly fill in your chest with breath and then chanting "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomm". I am trying very hard to make you understand through my words :( Just hope you do get what i am trying to say :) When you do this repeatedly and concentrate on this word it calms your mind and when the mind is calm we remain stress-free which will help us in fighting Crohn's. :)