Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Any advice on Pentasa

10-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Tikell

Any advice on Pentasa

I have been on humira for about six months now for crohns. My main symptoms are absolutely no appetite and of course lots of loose bowel movements and pain in my right side. Since the humira only works for about 4 days after an injection (for four days I can usually eat), my gastro doc just put me on Pentasa. Has anyone had any help with this drug and how much do you take. My doc wants me to take 6 per day?
10-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
toota

I have been on pentasa for almost one year I like it and feel it good with my crohns I take 4 per day
10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
michelle56

My Support Groups:
Just my opinion, Pentasa always felt "safer" than the IV injections. I always had a bad feeling about the IV injections. Might just be my ignorance to the medical world, but having to have consistent blood work because of possible side effects of IV injections just seems bad!
10-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
I don't know, but if you are only getting relief for 4 days after being injected with the humira, maybe you should consider stopping it. I mean I would talk to your doctor first of course.
10-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
michelle56

My Support Groups:
Great point, I didn't even think of that part. The time, money, effort and over all lifestyle while using humira should give you more than 4 good days!
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Axelfl3333

I,ve been on pentasa for ages and at the start thought it did nothing.now a few months down the line it's definitely helped I,m feeling pretty good so I feel lucky as I know it's a milder treatment still have occasional bother,I think that might be the norm for me now.persevere with it.good luck
10-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
michelle56

My Support Groups:
I prefer pentasa and I had a doctor that was actually angry that I wanted to stay on that instead of an IV treatment. Needless to say, he's not my doctor anymore.
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I believe I've been on Pentasa for a little over a year. I'd rather be on this medication as long as I can rather than going on IV's. Even though ths stuff is a bit spendy, it's still no comparison to Remicade or Humira.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
michelle56

My Support Groups:
Cross-stitch gal,
what is ulcerative proctitis?
10-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
It's more of a specific diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis. Ulcerative Proctitis is located mostly in the rectum. Here's a little more info about it.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA355538

http://www.badgut.org/information-ce...proctitis.html
10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Jmrogers4

My son is on Pentasa along with his LDN in the hopes that is just the little extra his body needs to make the other stuff work better. He is also on 6 pills a day (3000mg/day). We split it into 2 pills 3 times a day.
Can't say if it is helping or not at this point as he is also on EEN for the 4-6 weeks. He is feeling better but not sure if it is the Pentasa or the EEN

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I took Pentasa for almost 15 years. Your dose is not the highest; mine was 1,000 mg four times a day. Maybe your dose needs increasing but I would not do that on my own. The doctor needs to be aware of what is happening and adjust it accordingly, or maybe add another medication. You really should be experiencing some relief by now. *hugs*

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
LodgeLady

I started Pentasa at 2G per day but have been increased to 4G per day (500mg pills 8 per day). I think it helps but I have not achieved remission (still on prednsione) so I may have to go on Humira to get off of the prednisone. I would get the does upped as suggested.

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
cottonbud

My Support Groups:
OH has been on Pentasa for around 9 months with no relief at all. he take 2x2g also 200mg azathioprine, 20mg omeprazole. new gastro is considering infliximab instead as he thinks there may be fibrotic strictures and that surgery will probably happen within 2 years. :-(
10-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
Tikell

ok.....just got my prescription filled for the Pentasa. 2 tablets 3 times per day and they are 500 mg. I'm due for a humira injection this friday but I forgot to ask my gastro doc if I can take the humira and the Pentasa at the same time. Geezzzz, you would think that she would have told me that. I am soooooo tired of having to be my own best advocate because most doctors just sit there and don't suggest anything. I seem to be the one that has to ask them if I can try something. I learned about Pentasa on my own after I did some research and found out that Pentasa is prescriibed for inflammation in the small intestine and asacol for the large colon. I have been on and off asacol for years and it never seemed to do much. Oh well, I really hope the Pentasa works for my lack of appetite issues.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Any advice on Pentasa