Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Possible to have a flare up?

10-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Hermione

Possible to have a flare up?

I've been on Humira for 6 months and it was working great. A month ago I started having cramps and some D, it happens once a day, then I feel fine. Is this a flare up? Will it go away or will I have to switch to new medication? It's the 3rd I try, prednisone and Imuran did not work very well. I'm just tired of switching and having to deal with weight gain and different side effects every time. My crohn's isn't bad enough for surgery, it's just stubborn

I refuse to go on prednisone again, since I felt worse on it than I do without it..

Any advice?
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
lblair

My Support Groups:
I have days like that too I have good days and bad days!!! For the most part Humira is working my blood test show that I still have inflammation but I feel better!!!

I just stopped predisone I have been on it since March not good!!!! My dr said that it may take up to a year to fully work and some people never go into remission but the symptom improve greatly!!

Current Meds:
Randitine 150 mg twice a day!!!!
Effexor 37.5mg 2 tabs everyday
Cymbalta 60mg everyday
HZTC 25mg/12.5mg-high blood pressure
Glipizide 5mg before breakfast and dinner
Calcium-
Vitamin
Vitamin D
Gabapetin-300mg three times a day!!!
Fish oil

Meds that have not worked:
Humara
Prozac
Encort
Imura
Remicade
methotraxe

Bowel resection on 3/24/2014
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Sashawright

My Support Groups:
I've been on Humira for 6 months and it was working great. A month ago I started having cramps and some D, it happens once a day, then I feel fine. Is this a flare up? Will it go away or will I have to switch to new medication? It's the 3rd I try, prednisone and Imuran did not work very well. I'm just tired of switching and having to deal with weight gain and different side effects every time. My crohn's isn't bad enough for surgery, it's just stubborn

I refuse to go on prednisone again, since I felt worse on it than I do without it..

Any advice?
I have. Even on Humira almost a year and have had similar mild flare symptoms. I think it is tolerable for me, hopefully for you too!!!
10-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
rinasme

I have been good for 7 months, I noticed in the last few years is flare ups happen more in the fall and winter months than the summer. Crohn's can flush Vitamin D and B12 therefore lack of sunlight I feel affects flare ups, my GI says Crohn's seems to look for a reason to attack I can recognize the onset of flare ups. Then it is time to stick with soups and drinks.
Prednisone (in the past)
Pentasa
10-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
If it's manageable and your GI doesn't think you are having inflammation you are probably ok to stay on it. If it's not slowing down or stopping inflammation than it's not doing its job as an anti-TNF agent.
10-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
I agree with nogutsnoglory. Chronic inflammation isn't good to just 'live' with long term.
10-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
After being on the H for 3 years I have experienced a bad day every month or two. But as time has gone on those bad days are fewer and fewer.

Good Luck

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Possible to have a flare up?