Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Purple Stains on Toilet Seat & Under Seat

10-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Kristin1979

My Support Groups:
Purple Stains on Toilet Seat & Under Seat

I started noticing, after symptoms of UC began occurring, that if I go to the bathroom (mainly pee) I will leave then go back & see purple stains from splash on the seat & under the seat. My urine is yellow/pale yellow but these mysterious stains show up. Has this happened to anyone else? I also do not have abdominal pain, save the gurgles & gas associated with UC (I'm assuming). Certainly not acute pain.

RX: Lialda, Fluoxetine, Lisinopril, Novolog
OTC: Vitamins B-6, C; iron, Centrum multivitamin

10-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
SarahD

I had the same thing and it stopped when I came off Pentasa. If you currently take a 5ASA drug it's probably the culprit. As far as Im aware it's not something to worry about, just annoying really.

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
10-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Just saw this post. I take Pentasa and I've been noticing the same thing!
10-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Pentasa can create purple stains and Lialda can create light brown/pink stains. I bought plastic toilet seats for all of my toilets to avoid the permanent stain.

There have been many arguments about Pentasa stains versus porphyria. Some people do in fact have porphyria, but in most cases when someone is on Pentasa and the purple stains show up on the underside of the toilet seat, it is indeed the Pentasa causing this. I broke open a Pentasa capsule and put it in some water. I checked it a few hours later and the water was a slight purple color. Women on Pentasa are going to see this happen more than men will due to the fact that when we urinate the urine splashes all over the underside of the seat.

If you are still concerned, definitely see your doctor about this.

For some reason, it seems that only the patients are aware that this can happen as a result of the medication. Pharmacists, doctors and nurses that I have talked to have all said they did not know this could happen and even some drug reps claim they have not heard of this--which I find highly unlikely.

Like SarahD, once I stopped Pentasa the purple staining went away. Once I stopped Lialda, the light brown/pink staining went away.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
11-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Frog

I just joined because I ran across this topic while searching info on UC diets, and I had to say thank you! I've wondered for a year now what the heck happened to my toilet. Lialda didn't work for me but my toilet has pink and purple-ish stains and now I know why!
11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum, Frog!
11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Wizbit

My Support Groups:
This sounds familiar - I noticed the exact same thing when taking 2g Pentasa a day.

I once saw the result of urinating into a toilet that had bleach in it: deep red water. I thought my kidneys had explored inside me and were leaking out

But from memory of my chemistry lessons at school, it looked like sulphur dichloride. So assuming the chlorine is coming from the bleach, I am guessing that Pentasa takes sulphur out of the body at some point - as the drug's molecule doesn't contain a sulphur atom.

So, I think it's a reaction between the waste metabolites of the drug and the chlorine in your toilet basin - rather than a problem in the body
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
SarahD

I had the same thing with bleach turning red with my urine. Scared me the first time it happened, but when it happened again I cottoned on. I'd love to know the true cause!
11-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
jwfoise

I had the same thing with bleach turning red with my urine. Scared me the first time it happened, but when it happened again I cottoned on. I'd love to know the true cause!
OK, now I'm curious. I found this from Stanford U Department of Urology
http://urology.stanford.edu/about/ar...mal_urine.html
Contamination of the urine sample with hypochlorite bleach can cause a false positive test for hemoglobin
But it doesn't say exactly why.

I foudn this from something called the GP notebook
urine turns red on contact with hypochlorite bleach (toilet bowl cleaner) - aminosalicylic acid
I found a bunch of even less useful stuff, but no definitive answer on the chemistry. It sounds like it might have nothing to do with meds, it might just be a reaction between urine and bleach.
11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It sounds like it might have nothing to do with meds, it might just be a reaction between urine and bleach.
Nope. In my case it was the medication. Purple with Pentasa and Brown/Red with Lialda. I left some granules from a Pentasa capsule in a bowl of water for a few hours and the water turned the same color as the spots on the underside of the toilet seat. I've been off all meds for almost 2 years and still using the same toilet cleaner as I have for the last 5 years or more, and no more spots.
11-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
SarahD

Nope. In my case it was the medication. Purple with Pentasa and Brown/Red with Lialda. I left some granules from a Pentasa capsule in a bowl of water for a few hours and the water turned the same color as the spots on the underside of the toilet seat. I've been off all meds for almost 2 years and still using the same toilet cleaner as I have for the last 5 years or more, and no more spots.
Same for me too. I no longer take Pentasa and since stopping I've had no purple stains on the toilet seat and no colour changes when my urine comes into contact with bleach.
01-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Tat

Purple stains on toilet seat enigma.

I have been on 4 mg daily Pantasa. I have noticed the purple urine, my Dr. ran a bunch of tests and can't find anything.

I wanted to know if others using the medication have the same effect.

Please share as I am doing all these test without a concrete result.

I read that if you dissolve a tablet in water it will turn purple as well. The meds are so expensive I have not yet conducted the experiment.

This is freaking me out just a little
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I don't know what else to share other than what has already been said.
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Armstrow

Thanks for all the input. The group of gastroenterology (Australia) have never heard of this reaction but on showing them your feedback they are taking it up with the manufacturer.
All I would like to see is some written information on the Pentasa pack or the Side effects brochure to make patients aware this can occur - rather then us worrying unnecessarily.
Cheers
04-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
DaveD

My Support Groups:
Same here,just figured it out was my Lialda
04-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #16
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Thanks for all the input. The group of gastroenterology (Australia) have never heard of this reaction but on showing them your feedback they are taking it up with the manufacturer.
All I would like to see is some written information on the Pentasa pack or the Side effects brochure to make patients aware this can occur - rather then us worrying unnecessarily.
Cheers
I agree. My docs had never heard of it. I find it hard to believe that this has never been reported before to the manufacturer or to all of these GIs. It happens with Lialda and Pentasa, so how come nobody ever mentioned it before? Highly unlikely! Nonetheless, at least we have each other here to share our own findings.
04-16-2015, 05:05 AM   #17
DaveD

My Support Groups:
I have the meslamine enema and it warns of it turning dark if left in light so I believe it is the mesalamine oxidizing that causes the discoloration.
04-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #18
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Yep.
06-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #19
Varazdates

I agree. My docs had never heard of it. I find it hard to believe that this has never been reported before to the manufacturer or to all of these GIs. It happens with Lialda and Pentasa, so how come nobody ever mentioned it before? Highly unlikely! Nonetheless, at least we have each other here to share our own findings.
Guys I've had the same issue and have had anxiety about this for s long time. 3 separate doctors said they never heard of it. And they've been GIs for a long time. I stopped taking lialda out of fear that I was having kidney failure or something. One thing that's annoying me is that no one is posting pics so we can compare and see if we are talking about the same thing!

I'll do the honors. Is this what it looks like???

These were from separate days. I don't know if anyone else had the entire toilet contents turn dark purple like that. Thats all urine, no poop. There was no toilet bowl cleaner in there when i peed. The bowl wasn't blue from fresh toilet bowl cleaner but I'm not sure if it was recently cleaned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (189.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (181.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (147.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (174.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (168.3 KB, 26 views)
06-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #20
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I am no longer on any meds, so I can't send pics, but I can tell you that this discussion has come up on other websites as well. It is definitely the Pentasa and/or Lialda that is causing the color change. I took a Pentasa capsule apart and set it in a glass of water for a few hours and the water changed color. I realized one day that I forgot to flush after I urinated because 4 hours later when I went to urinate again, the bowl was full of purple water.

If you are concerned about your kidneys, get them checked out! Go to a urologist...do something. It is much better to get that checked out than to worry, and much better for you to get it checked than to just stop taking a medication that potentially solves your bowel issues.
06-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #21
Varazdates

I am no longer on any meds, so I can't send pics, but I can tell you that this discussion has come up on other websites as well. It is definitely the Pentasa and/or Lialda that is causing the color change. I took a Pentasa capsule apart and set it in a glass of water for a few hours and the water changed color. I realized one day that I forgot to flush after I urinated because 4 hours later when I went to urinate again, the bowl was full of purple water.

If you are concerned about your kidneys, get them checked out! Go to a urologist...do something. It is much better to get that checked out than to worry, and much better for you to get it checked than to just stop taking a medication that potentially solves your bowel issues.
How are you not on any meds anymore? What do you do to stay in remission without meds?
06-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
How are you not on any meds anymore? What do you do to stay in remission without meds?
Total colectomy for UC. No colon, no disease, so no meds necessary.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Purple Stains on Toilet Seat & Under Seat