• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help

My dad for the past week has had really bad ulcers in his mouth to the point that he has had difficulty talking. He went to the doctor today and the doctor said it could be herpes. I went searching the net about it and it never said anything about herpes affecting the throat. I was wondering if anyone knows more about it.

Thanks
I had to rush this and will include more info later

JEff

D

Donna

Hey Jeff...sorry to hear that your father is affected with ulcers in his mouth. Herpes comes in many forms, unfortunately. The type he has probably comes from the same strain of herpes that forms canker sores on people's lips. Unfortunatly, it can cause them in the throat. I only know this because one of my closest friends in high school went out with this one guy. He always ha canker sores on his mouth..and when she would get them she would get them all over her mouth and upper throat.

I am not sure, but I think she had a prescription that took some of the pain away. I know she also used anbesul (spelling?) to numb the ones in her mouth so she could eat.

I hope this helps, and they clear up fast for your dad!!

Donna

hey, i have a book of common oral diseases (i'm a dental assistant). herpes does occur in the mouth. it can recure by triggers such as sunlight, heat, stress, trauma, or immunosuppression. vitamin C might help to prevent. try looking up herpes simplex virus or HSV - maybe that will bring up stuff about oral lesions.
hope that helps.
steph

I looked up that already but I was confused because it said you can have them in the mouth but not in the throat. My dad has never had this before although he always seems to get a few ulcers every so often when he is stressed but he has 17 right now. Two weeks ago he thinks someone on the volleyball team drank out of his gatoraid bottle and that they must have herpes because he has never had sores this bad.

Thanks for the help and support

Jeff

J

Jonny

Hiya Jeff hopefully your dad recovers quickly from it and before long its just a bad memory.

wow, i hope that he can get it treated and settled down soon. the book i have doesn't say anything about the throat - but perhaps because it was in a drink that passed through, not sure though.
you have a great support system here. keep us posted.

Thanks guys. My dad has felt a little better because he has to take these huge horse pills.

Thanks again

I will keep yall posted

Jeff