• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine advise needed please!

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advise, I woke up this morning and have a really sore throat I feel exhausted and my body slightly aches :( and I think my crohn's is possibly flaring up just have to wait for my consultant to get back to me on Friday with regards to the results does anyone know if the sore throat is to do with the azathioprine I have been on it 3 months now, Tia

Xx

Hi Kerry
As I am sure you know the Aza supresses the immune system.
After 3 months (and blood monitoring I hope!) I would have thought you are ok on Aza with regards to side effects. With the change in UK weather and the Aza kicking in it could just be a common cold/flu.

I started Aza 3 weeks ago and had to come off it as I was in extreme pain due to aching. Guess my body just does not get on with it!

Still worth running it past your GI thou. Also make sure you keep up the blood work

As noob said above it may just be a bug. I have caught countless bugs the past few weeks and just as I think I am getting over one another starts. When it is a bad but it can make me have slight crohns symptoms but it settles down after a few days with whatever it is I have had.
If you get worse or it doesn't resolve soon speak to you're GI and see what they have to recommend. Have you had a blood test recently? As this is what they may ask you to do.
Hope you feel better soon x

Hi Kerry, I would suggest you get a blood test ASAP, a sore throat is one of the more common signs of a significant bone marrow suppression.

Best wishes.

Thank you all for your replys I really appreciate them, not sure if this is medication/crohn's or just me lol but I have noticed that when I walk or bend my knees sound Like they are crunching/grinding?? X

Hi Kerry

My daughter has been taking Imuran for about 7 months now. Shes had a sore throat and tightness for over a week now. We thought it might be acid but she has been taking Nexium for a week with no difference. GP says the throat looks normal. I never thought it might be from the Imuran.

I hope your sore throat is just a virus and you feel better soon...:ghug:

Hi Kerry, I would suggest you get a blood test ASAP, a sore throat is one of the more common signs of a significant bone marrow suppression.

Best wishes.
Aussie thanks for this information l'll be contacting my daughters nurse on Monday.

It might be worth mentioning it at your next GI appointment a lot of people of joint/muscle pain along with crohns and they might want to look into it a bit more.
I was sent to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with enteropathic arthritis with most people the joint pain settles once the bowel symptoms are under control. Hope you feel better soon x