• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira side affects

my story is probably not a lot different from others. I got sick in jan 2005 and went undiagnosed until june. I KNEW I was dying, because they couldn't figure anything out. all tests came back negative, oh great, now I'm just crazy. in late may I finally received my first colonoscopy. DIAGNOSED! It was bitter sweet because I knew nothing of crohns and was taking care of my terminally ill dad, husband (who in reality took care of me), and 3 young boys. started remicade and found out I was pregnant. I stayed on remicade till delivery and then was not able to take any other meds at that time. couple years went by flare up here and there but honestly nothing compared to the beginning. I am currently on humira. the last several days I have been flaring and just super depressed about it. i'm missing my boys sporting events, not cooking dinner every nite and just basically functioning. it's true, people don't get it. I really never thought I was looking for sympathy but quite possibly I am. I talk to a close girlfriend tell her how sick I am haven't eaten for 3 days and sleep all day and she in turn asks me to go to dinner and have drinks w/her and some others???? I don't get angry, I explain I CANT and just politely make an excuse to hang up. please tell me im not the only one who gets super depressed when a flare is occurring. I am honestly a happy, hey lets get out and do something girl the minute im feeling better. HELP someone! tell me im not crazy!
:ybatty:

Your definitely not crazy for feeling like this x

I understand how frustrating it is when you are dealing with a flare. As Mothers we cant just take to our beds and rest, and when we absolutely have to, when there's nothing else to give cos our bodies are so consumed with Crohns there is no other option. It frustrates the hell out of me.

I find that I get windows where I have a little energy, and do a few chores, or even take a bath, and that's it, I'm wiped out!!
I think it would be wise to see your Dr, as you shouldn't be flaring whilst on Humira. and hopefully they can adjust your meds, so you can at least function.
Good luck, and lots of hugs to you x

I just started HUMIRA and it's doing me wonders, it is getting rid of all my anal tags, fissures and fistulars. It actually feels like I no longer have crohns disease either! I got sick when I was 8 and wasn't diagnosed till I was 12 and went through the EXACT same process as you to find out what I had. Such a horrid thing to go through, hanging onto life by a thread and being misdiagnosed until they finally do a colonoscopty and say yep you have crohns...what's crohns? So frustrating.

But I started from hell and now almost turning 18 and life is looking up because of HUMIRA, I'd say go to a doc to check it out and I hope everything will start working better for you xx
I know how difficult it is :( :hug:

I get angry and depressed sometimes, especially if it's one of those flare ups that drains your whole body and mind and has you running for the loo every five minutes.

I sometimes look at everyone else having a good time and think 'I miss that so much, it's so unfair, i'm so young etc', but then I just try and find the good in something little like laughing over something silly or just relaxing in the bath for five minutes.

Hang in there with the Humira, they told me it'd start working in a month, it took three or four for the side effects to diminish and I started to feel more optimistic about life again.

You're definitely not alone.