Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom?

10-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom?

I'm wondering if I can take Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom for stool odor. I know both are similar but one is bismuth subsalicylate while the other is bismuth subgallate.

Both of these are closely related to aspirin which can cause bleeding in IBD.

So will Pepto work and is it safe?
10-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I use Pepto every day to keep my stools as thick as possible. I've never had a problem with using it. The only thing to keep in mind is that it makes your stool very dark.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

10-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm just concerned about the fact that its kind of like aspirin. Have you found Pepto to help with pouch odor? Is it better than Imodium for diarrhea?
10-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Nyx

My Support Groups:
It doesn't help with odor at all, but I have a colostomy not an ileo....not sure if the smell is better or worse for either of those. I don't get diarrhea either (unless I'm sick), the worst I usually get is what I call "pudding poops". My stool for the most part is fully formed, like normal poops. I take the Pepto to keep the pudding poops at bay. The pudding poops are very thick, but they pancake around my stoma and it's really annoying.
10-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
pain in the butt

My Support Groups:
I use non alcohol Listerine in my pouches to help with odor.

Past med. cholestyramine-Entocort-Asacol -flagal - cipro-vancomiacin-aricept-and awhole lot more
10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
pain in the butt

My Support Groups:
I use non alcohol Listerine in my pouches to help with odor.
03-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Eternal Leaker

I would be very cautious using Pepto for anything other than instructed. Pepto is basically liquid pink aspirin and and can lead to problems with thinning blood as well as liver damage.
03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would be very cautious using Pepto for anything other than instructed. Pepto is basically liquid pink aspirin and and can lead to problems with thinning blood as well as liver damage.
I agree

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom?