Share Facebook

04-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Procyon

Best drinks?

So I'll be the first to admit that I have an addiction to diet soda. But I've gotten to thinking -- all of those carbon bubbles could be contributing to the painful gas bubbles that get trapped in my intestines...

So when I flared this time, I tried switching, and I started drinking Powerade and Gatorade all the time. But my doctor said that could actually make my diarrhea worse. (Then again, even in times of non-flare, I rarely have a formed stool. I don't know if that's just the nature of the disease, or it means that I've been in a state of minor flare for years, but the only time I ever seem to have formed stool is when I'm on 30+mg of prednisone.)

So what do you guys think the best drinks are for a person with Crohn's disease?
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Not only the bubbles could be bothering you, but there is something about the artificial sweeteners in diet soda that leach liquid into the intestines (or something like that) and can cause diarrhea too. Sugar can add to inflammation, so basically you want something without sugar and without artificial sweeteners. Caffeine can also aggravate symptoms, and a lot of us don't get along with dairy. Apple juice makes some people crap, and orange juice may be too acidic and bother your belly. That doesn't leave too much, huh?
Water of course is good for you all around. Add some lemon or orange for interest if you want. If you like iced tea, you can make it with decaf tea bags. I make kool-aid once in a while with Stevia, a natural sugar substitute. It doesn't taste like sugar really, but it's not artificial tasting either. It's a pretty good taste. I use 6 packets for 2 quarts. Some people on here have mentioned honey to sweeten things.
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
teeny5

My Support Groups:
The Gatorade is good for preventing severe dehydration when you are having excessive diarrhea, but remember it has sugar in it too and it might upset things as well. For me I go to straight water when I am flaring. Anything else upsets my tummy.

Have you tried G2? I would try lower sugar alternatives or adding low sugar flavor to your water. Tea hot or cold seems to be fine for most people. Again just watch the sugar.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
04-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Mazen

Some drinks I can tolerate are: unsweetened grape juice, fresh carrot juice, apple juice, pineapple juice. Also maybe try some smoothies made from yoghurt, honey and some fruit like banana....
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
danman

I do like Coke, but not the diet one.
I admit, I drink too much of it too, up to 3 cans a day. When I was younger, I drank a lot more.

I suppose, I've never really, not drank it. So I don't know if it affects me in any way.

I also know, it cannot be good for me, has anyone seen the results of the "dirty penny" test with coke?
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Stleger88

I don't drink that much soda but when I do its usually fresca (no sugar, no calories lol ) or diet Dr. pepper.

But what I drink constantly on a daily basis is water and green tea sweetened wiht honey

That one day we will taste the outside air,
free from pain
and the need for meds;
in, deserving better.

Verse from "crohnies"
By: Andy Carrington
http://www.andycarrington.co.uk
04-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Procyon

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

MBH said:
I make kool-aid once in a while with Stevia, a natural sugar substitute. It doesn't taste like sugar really, but it's not artificial tasting either. It's a pretty good taste. I use 6 packets for 2 quarts.
That actually sounds somewhat tasty. Do you buy this Stevia anywhere special?

Dan said:
I admit, I drink too much of it too, up to 3 cans a day. When I was younger, I drank a lot more.
I like the regular coke too. I just never really drink it because of all the calories. Not that diet soda is much better for you, even with the fact that it has zero calories. =/ But yeah, I think it must be the caffeine that I'm addicted to -- I could drink a 12 pack or more per day, if I wanted. If I drink no soda at all, I'm sleepy and my stomach hurts.
04-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
ladyB

You can buy the stevia in the baking isle at the local market, usually.

I find tea is never a bad choice...soda can be excrutiating.
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
mommy1st

I don't drink soda at all, usually just unsweetened hot tea and water.
04-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #10

i've been told that fizzy drinks can leech calcium from our bones.. so i shouldn't really drink it, but i'm a real diet coke addict (caffeine free). i try not to have too much tho, and i also like Vimto (not sure if thats available outside the UK).. its a fruit cordial, really nice either hot or cold.
04-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
danman

Vimto is very tasty. But I haven't seen it here on the shelves in a long time.
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #12

most of the main supermarkets stock it here, Dan.. tesco, sainsbury etc.. you can also get the fizzy vimto in cans but i prefer the original cordial.
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Procyon said:
That actually sounds somewhat tasty. Do you buy this Stevia anywhere special?
I find it in the natural food section of my regular grocery store. My mom has tried many different brands, and the least bitter is Nu Naturals. It's about $10 for a box of 100, which doesn't seem too expensive because I don't use it that often.
04-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
danman

dingbat said:
most of the main supermarkets stock it here, Dan.. tesco, sainsbury etc.. you can also get the fizzy vimto in cans but i prefer the original cordial.
I might have a look the next time I'm in Northern Ireland They generally have the same brands as the rest of Britain.
04-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
daisy_dueller

I loooove diet Pepsi..like LOVE it...but I only let myself have it once every couple of weeks...it's soo bad for me. I can't have caffeine (#1), and it makes me have MAJOR gas pains (#2)

I find that I can drink OJ pretty well most of the time, except for when I'm severely flaring. It really doesn't bother me at all. Probably should, but doesn't.

Milk really isn't good either. I use skim milk...it seems to be a bit easier on the tummy.

I hate water. I don't know why, it's a totally childish thing, but I hate the taste of it. So I don't drink it if I can help it. My main drink of choice is OJ...apple juice is bad for me as well...
04-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
katiesue1506

But water HAS no taste
04-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Stleger88

water is awesome :-)
04-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
BWS1982

water usually tastes watered down.

I'm one of "those" who carries the 1 gallon jug and just refill it, I used to be going through about 1 a day when I could work out, but I just shoot for about 3/4 because it's hard to down so much when you're not active.

I'm a HUGE Gatorade fan, though.....mmmmmm ...Brawndo has electrolytes, what plants crave...

http://www.brawndo.com/

Idiocracy, Luke Wilson and Dax Shepard FTW!!

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
04-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
teeny5

My Support Groups:
danman said:

I suppose, I've never really, not drank it. So I don't know if it affects me in any way.

I also know, it cannot be good for me, has anyone seen the results of the "dirty penny" test with coke?

I think the test with meat is worse. Coke can eat through a piece of meat over a few hours. Gross!

I don't like Coke, I am a Pepsi girl. Diet Pepsi anyway.
04-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
katiesue1506

So teeny... if thats true, we should all have Coke when eating Steak... that way the steak gets digested easier.... RIGHT?!?!
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
danman

Ahh, but Katiesue,
If I'm going to fork out good money on a steak, I want to have wine or beer with it, not coke.
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
Cookie

I'm with you, Danman. Nothing beats a nice juicy steak and a glass of red wine.
When I am on flagyl, I rarely eat steak because I can't stand the thought of not being able to have it with a glass of wine...they just go hand in hand.
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
Mark33180

to quote the Waterboy. H2O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

Diagnosed with Crohn's 11/01 - Battling ever since
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
teeny5

My Support Groups:
katiesue1506 said:
So teeny... if thats true, we should all have Coke when eating Steak... that way the steak gets digested easier.... RIGHT?!?!
If that works then I will turn into a Coke person for sure!

Man, I miss beef!
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #25
kello82

Mark33180 said:
to quote the Waterboy. H2O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Gaaatoraaaadeeee......"
05-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
Mark33180

kello82 said:
"Gaaatoraaaadeeee......"

YOUR Wong!!!!! Water is good and good for you.

I LOVE MY MOMMA!!!
05-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #27
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

My 2 cents:
1. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup, sugar or artificial sweetners.
2. Gatorade only in moderation. High sodium isn't good for you.
3. Lots of water!
4. Tea
5. No milk.

For me it's water, freshly squeezed oj, tea and one cup of coffee a day. That and a few margaritas each week. Yup, I said it.

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

05-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #28
kello82

Mark33180 said:
YOUR Wong!!!!! Water is good and good for you.

I LOVE MY MOMMA!!!
WAter sucks!! it really, really sucks.
WAAAAAter sucks!!! it REALLY really suCKKSSS??!

(that was me, um, singing the water sucks song via type. k.)
05-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #29
BWS1982

If you're dehydrated, moderate sodium assists in rehydration fairly well, so gatorade in moderation is normally good, sodium content is around 100 mg or less I believe per 8 ounces, so 18% RDA of sodium from a 32 oz. bottle isn't bad if you're watching your sodium the rest of the day.

Brawndo has electrolytes!

http://www.brawndo.com/

Idiocracy rules!
05-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #30
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Definately minimal or no fizzy drinks.

Only use drinks with electrolytes in moderation as someone has already posted they can contribute to further diahorrea - keep in mind everyone's level of intake of these kind of drinks varies according to need and metabolising of the content so what may suit one may not suit another (our mantra on here isnt it? ;-) )

Water is the best but again should be balanced with other things. Too much water can flush out your electrolytes - so again its about individual need.

My gastro team recommend drinking peppermint tea or a small amount of warm diluted peppermint oil to help with any cramping and my GP was telling me that the latest research shows peppermint can have a great effect on decreasing intestinal cramping and wind and he now reaches for peppermint based meds initially for his IBS and IBD patients.

As we know with many things here it can vary according to your daily needs: taking into account how active you are (i.e are you doing a very physical job that causes you to sweat or in the gym), how severe and often are you suffering from diahorrea, is what you are eating also contributing to intestinal gas: food alone has a major impact for many crohn's sufferers.

Just thought I would through a few things into the "pot".

Hope you are getting some relief Procyon and anyone else suffering this way.

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.