• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Medronidazole

Hello All,
I had my first endoscopy today and that went ok.
I'm starting Metronidazole and I really haven't seen anyone talk about it. Has anyone taken it before and has it helped? :rosette1::rosette1:

PsychoJane

Hi Melibean,
Don't worry about this treatment. You might already know it under is generic name. Metronidazole is the antibiotic Flagyl. It is generally paired with cipro to treat IBD after diagnosis and for the treatment of abscess and fistula. What is interesting about this antibiotic is that it also show the ability to reduce digestive inflammation.

Aside from the side effects, it is beneficial in my case. Unfortunately, it causes nausea in many people, especially during the first few days and it leaves a rather annoying taste.

PsychoJane

Oh, also, don't be surprise if your urine is really really dark. It is common with this medication, remember to drink plenty of water!

Hi Melibean,
Don't worry about this treatment. You might already know it under is generic name. Metronidazole is the antibiotic Flagyl. It is generally paired with cipro to treat IBD after diagnosis and for the treatment of abscess and fistula. What is interesting about this antibiotic is that it also show the ability to reduce digestive inflammation.

Aside from the side effects, it is beneficial in my case. Unfortunately, it causes nausea in many people, especially during the first few days and it leaves a rather annoying taste.
Thanks Jane,
I just woke up from my nap and I'm feeling sick to my stomach. This is the only medicine besides one other that treats spasims I take that when my stomach starts hirts past ansix.