Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Young Adult Support Group

10-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #451
Liam-Sman

My Support Groups:
Organizing a more informal pub trip for crohns and colitis in London very soon! Join the group if you're interested in meeting up with other people with IBD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153745571382044/

Medication I'm on at the moment:
Remicade

You can normally find me in chat, pop in some time!
http://www.crohnsforum.com/chat.php
11-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #452
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
can relate to so many of you who are struggling with work. Was diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago (now 23) and I purposely jumped into my education right after highschool as I was very sick then and knew I had to find stability quick. Wasn't diagnosed with Crohn's till 7 years after a long battle of misdiagnosis. All my highschool years spent sick. Now as a working professional in the schools my anxiety is on high alert as I'm having to take sporadic days off. I'm constantly in fear of getting a call saying I've been let go. I have nightmares about it all the time. I had to put a medical accommodation this year already which is tragic. I wasn't expecting my life to be like this at such a young age. I look at my friends and they are still in UNI having a good time and I'm here having to plead with my body to just get thru one more day.
2nd Gen affected
02-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #453
chronicallypositive

My Support Groups:
Organizing a more informal pub trip for crohns and colitis in London very soon! Join the group if you're interested in meeting up with other people with IBD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153745571382044/
There needs to be something like this in Ottawa.

Currently on Remicade... and a whole regimen of pills and supplements.

Always trying to keep a happy outlook on any situation.
02-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #454
LilMissCrohnie

My Support Groups:
can relate to so many of you who are struggling with work. Was diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago (now 23) and I purposely jumped into my education right after highschool as I was very sick then and knew I had to find stability quick. Wasn't diagnosed with Crohn's till 7 years after a long battle of misdiagnosis. All my highschool years spent sick. Now as a working professional in the schools my anxiety is on high alert as I'm having to take sporadic days off. I'm constantly in fear of getting a call saying I've been let go. I have nightmares about it all the time. I had to put a medical accommodation this year already which is tragic. I wasn't expecting my life to be like this at such a young age. I look at my friends and they are still in UNI having a good time and I'm here having to plead with my body to just get thru one more day.
I feel you Sarah. I'm 19 and currently in my second year of uni , I've had to defer for 6 months already and have been in and out of hospital for a year. I'm back this trimester and have already missed a class and have had surgery and been into emergency. I've gone back to work after 5 months and have done 3 shifts, as their watching me closely. I went into emergency last Friday and told my boss that I'd keep her updated (never said I couldn't make it) and then the next day said I was fine to work and she pulled the "it's getting really hard because you're always sick"... I cry almost every day because I watch all my peers and family travel and work and go to uni so easily. But I struggle to get out of bed, or even eat for days or leave the bathroom. I feel so alone in the world...
02-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #455
chronicallypositive

My Support Groups:
I feel you Sarah. I'm 19 and currently in my second year of uni , I've had to defer for 6 months already and have been in and out of hospital for a year. I'm back this trimester and have already missed a class and have had surgery and been into emergency. I've gone back to work after 5 months and have done 3 shifts, as their watching me closely. I went into emergency last Friday and told my boss that I'd keep her updated (never said I couldn't make it) and then the next day said I was fine to work and she pulled the "it's getting really hard because you're always sick"... I cry almost every day because I watch all my peers and family travel and work and go to uni so easily. But I struggle to get out of bed, or even eat for days or leave the bathroom. I feel so alone in the world...
20 here.

hey you. You're amazing. Most people would give up. Keep fighting. :C
02-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #456
LilMissCrohnie

My Support Groups:
20 here.

hey you. You're amazing. Most people would give up. Keep fighting. :C
Thanks chronicallypositive.

I'm trying so hard to not give up
02-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #457
chronicallypositive

My Support Groups:
Thanks chronicallypositive.

I'm trying so hard to not give up
Add me on facebook or hell send me a message here anytime.

I'm here for you. If you want!
02-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #458
LilMissCrohnie

My Support Groups:
Add me on facebook or hell send me a message here anytime.

I'm here for you. If you want!
I'd love too! Send me your details and I'll add you ☺
02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #459
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
It's a tough battle trying to find balance between personal identity vs the identity with a sickness. There's often times I wish for that 'typical' life without barriers but I try to believe there is a purpose beyond all of this mayhem. Still trying to find mine.

Be strong. Be kind to yourself. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to.
03-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #460
mitchiedoo42

My Support Groups:
Im 22 and joining in
03-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #461
RomGrl

My Support Groups:
I was just diagnosed. It's been the scariest week of my life and it's only the beginning. I turn 27 this year in October...
03-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #462
LilMissCrohnie

My Support Groups:
I was just diagnosed. It's been the scariest week of my life and it's only the beginning. I turn 27 this year in October...
We are all here for you <3
03-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #463
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
Newly 24 and I was diagnosed in my early twenties. Pretty difficult trying to adjust to adulthood dealing with all the feelings of unwellness. Beginning highschool I was sick---doctors couldn't figure out anything yet now that I look back the Crohn's made perfect sense. Quickly got an education---sort of settled for something I could start paying my dues too so I'd have some support if I need to go on LTD. Lots of pressure to do everything quick...

Now I'm 3 years in working at schools and I'm at a loss really. I love my job. It was a great choice for me then but I wish I had a chance to enjoy university... instead I felt in a time crunch to get everything done if my conditioned worsened.

Moral of the story is---take your time.. even if it takes longer you'll appreciate your education far more
03-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #464
RomGrl

My Support Groups:
LilMissCrohnie, thank you..

MizzSarah, that's quite the story. It all makes sense to me as well. I started college, starting getting a little worse and it ended up ruining the community college for me. Then I got better and was on top of the world (aside from anxiety) got married and moved into our first house. But over the last year 2016 mostly, nobody could figure out what was wrong I had clean colonoscopies, endoscopies, blood results. Then I got c.diff from the guessing of what's wrong with me and that was one hell of a time to fight. Soon after c.diff after 4 relapses, they found the Crohn's disease. It's absolutely insane... I was just getting ready to have a family and now I am not even sure how to go about that, it's absolutely just mentally wrecking.

I run a positive news website that I have been having trouble managing as well. I'm sorry for rambling... I just feel so 'cheated.' I have always been the person bringing people up and here I am at the lowest I've ever felt in my life.

Literally, the lowest... Growing up with an abusive father doesn't seem as painful as learning you have Crohn's... sigh.

Thank you for the love.
03-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #465
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
if your hoping to start having children soon there is a forum somewhere on here where you can communicate with women trying to conceive etc. Definitely mention to your Gastrointestinal that your hoping to start trying for a family. There might be some changes to your Meds etc.

I hope to be in a place soon where I want to get married and have kids. I'm still in the yuck feeling where I don't feel the greatest and why would anyone want me.

Don't want this disease to sabotage my life but it's already happening.

Keep fighting for something that works for you. There might be that one thing that you stumble across and you'll be like where we you all this time?

LilMissCrohnie, thank you..

MizzSarah, that's quite the story. It all makes sense to me as well. I started college, starting getting a little worse and it ended up ruining the community college for me. Then I got better and was on top of the world (aside from anxiety) got married and moved into our first house. But over the last year 2016 mostly, nobody could figure out what was wrong I had clean colonoscopies, endoscopies, blood results. Then I got c.diff from the guessing of what's wrong with me and that was one hell of a time to fight. Soon after c.diff after 4 relapses, they found the Crohn's disease. It's absolutely insane... I was just getting ready to have a family and now I am not even sure how to go about that, it's absolutely just mentally wrecking.

I run a positive news website that I have been having trouble managing as well. I'm sorry for rambling... I just feel so 'cheated.' I have always been the person bringing people up and here I am at the lowest I've ever felt in my life.

Literally, the lowest... Growing up with an abusive father doesn't seem as painful as learning you have Crohn's... sigh.

Thank you for the love.
05-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #466
jahlstrand

My Support Groups:
Just to get some conversation started… Answer any (or all) of the following, or just use them for ideas.

- What "young adult" type situations has IBD affected for you?

- Has IBD affected your educational opportunities and choices?

- Has IBD affected your independence from your family?

- Has IBD affected your social relationships, dating, or your body image?

- Do you feel as if IBD has matured you beyond your age or for kept you from maturing in any way?

- How do you think dealing with IBD as a young adult is different from dealing with it as a child or an adult?
Hi ya'll! I'm 25 and quite often get the "you're too young to have all of these problems!" or "just wait till you're my age; then you'll know what true pain/ illness feels like!" I really struggled with being around friends/ away from home because you never know when you'll need to find a bathroom, and that can be really embarrassing, especially in dating situations. Both of my parents are deceased, but I have to live with my stepdad and sister because I can't afford to live on my own while simultaneously drowning in medical debt. Thankfully, my educational and work choices haven't been affected much yet. I want to get my masters and be a physician's assistant, but I worry that being in medicine (which really is my forte) could pose a significant risk to my health, especially if I'm put on Remicade or another biologic. IBD has made me hyperconscious of my body and my imperfections, including abdominal scarring from surgery. I honestly shouldn't complain; I only have four laparoscopic scars from a cholecystectomy. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I feel like having IBD as a young adult makes things incredibly complicated. If you're a child, you're likely not dating, and social situations are much more fluid for children in general. Also, you don't have to worry about the financial aspects of your illness much, and someone calls the shots for you. You don't have to work, or worry about not being able to work. For a lot of adults, you're in a more concrete place in life; you may have a romantic partner and friends that have been around for a while, and adults in general tend to be more open minded about life's curveballs. Adults typically also have a more stable work environment, and that tends to give them a little more wiggle room on the employment end. Also, bathroom humor (or talk in general) tends to make young adults without IBD squeamish. All in all, I think IBD has its own difficulties for each person regardless of age, and I don't think its "easy" for any of us. I feel that IBD, alongside my other life experiences, has matured me far beyond my years. Thanks for listening to me ramble!
09-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #467
donovan.smith

My Support Groups:
Hello all, my name is Donovan Smith and I am currently a 20 year old college Junior at Mississippi State University working towards a degree in Aerospace Engineering, and I am a member of the professional engineering fraternity known as Theta Tau. I have been diagnosed on the 16th this month with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. I'm currently on my third week of prednisone with tapering doses for another month and am supposed to start treatment asap next month. It's been hard transitioning and figuring out my lifestyle again especially with diet and sleep changes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone can help me figure out how to sleep longer at night without having to wake up multiple times to bowel movements, if that's possible...I need advice with diet too.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Young Adult Support Group