Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Young Adult Support Group

12-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #61
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I am not sure what "occupational health assessment" is at a University, but it sounds like BS.
Maybe they don't have these in America, but here they do on physically demanding courses where you could end up endangering yourself or others if you aren't up to the job. It's a health assessment where they go through your history, do a basic physical exam etc to see where you are with your health. Nursing degrees are demanding, you are expected to complete 2000 hours of clinical practice, as well as all the lectures, you do the same shift as your mentor on clinical placements, so if your mentor does a 12 hour night shift, so do you. If you do not complete this, you do not gain your registration and you just wasted 3 years, and although you can take an intermission, this can only be for the max of one year, and all theory and practical hours must be completed within 5 years of registration onto the course, if not, you start again. I assure you, they are not 'bs' would you want someone who is in a position where they cannot concentrate because they are too sick themselves to be treating you or your child? I know I definitly wouldn't. One mistake, that's all it takes to ruin a child's life or worse.. So I'd actually rather them be strict and be brutal than let anyone practice that might be a danger for any reason. If I had gone back to uni, I probably would of left again because I just would of got sick and been in a+e again. The screenings are there to protect the students as well as anyone else. Of course, for an ordinary degree, these screenings are either not there or are far less strict, I was told if I wanted to do a less stressful, non physical degree such as English lit. then I could go back whenever I wanted .

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #62
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
The hours and time limits are the governing body's rules and they apply to the whole of the UK, the unis have nothing to do with it.
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #63
hingrum

My Support Groups:
I assure you, they are not 'bs' would you want someone who is in a position where they cannot concentrate because they are too sick themselves to be treating you or your child? I know I definitly wouldn't. One mistake, that's all it takes to ruin a child's life or worse..

I was not trying to step on your toes. I was surprised and would like to know I am not judged or measured based on a diagnosis. We do not have that here in the US. It would never come up that I have Crohn's disease when applying to any program at the school. Everywhere does it differently though. I think it would be a shame not to be able to do what I wanted in life because of government regulations based on a Crohn's diagnosis (where severity varies throughout your life). ANYONE can lose concentration and make a mistake. To each their own.
12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #64
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
It isn't about the diagnosis of crohns, it's about how your health is at that specific time. If you are in remission at the time you apply, with a stable treatment plan in place then you have just as much chance of getting onto the course as anyone else. I also have tachycardia, which at one point was making me go dizzy and collapse with no warning so it wasn't just as basic as having or not having crohns or whatever other condition. Loosing concentration as a nurse could cost someone's life, that's the risk that they have to take. Of course I would prefer not to have to prove myself to these people, but everyone here has to if they want to be a nurse. But this is part of my goal, that I will get well, and prove the people who said I can't do it wrong that's what us crohnies do after all .
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #65
hingrum

My Support Groups:
Thank you for your perspective though Valleysangel92. It helps me understand a lot of the posts from other people who are from the UK.
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #66
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Yes, things are sooooo different here.. Some for the good ( like the screening safe guards patients and students) some for the bad (lack of nurses , hospital beds, being held back because of illness etc) and it's always interesting to see the differences between our countries and I think that does really affect our experiences as young people with crohns too.
12-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #67
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
If you would ever like to talk about these differences more in-depth or you have questions about the way things are here, you are welcome to pm me and I will answer to the best of my ability
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #68
JustAYoungLad

I travel some, but I do not let sickness get in the way of it. I make sure if I get the "urge" to go, I go ahead and stop at a rest stop rather than try to wait.
How long do you go travelling for? Do you plan ahead?

Like I said next year I want to drive around Europe, for a good couple of weeks once I'm all well, can't wait. See a bit of the world. Just worried about getting ill abroad. I think our (UK) EU medical card only covers so much.
12-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #69
Jpow

My Support Groups:
Crohn's really screwed up my goals/dreams. I wanted to join the Army. The military is the only place I feel that I would belong in. Now anything I pursue I just dont feel passionate about doing, which really sucks. :/
12-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #70
Jpow

My Support Groups:
Even if I joined the Army and was a terrible soldier/couldnt make it, I would have known I put everything into it. I just wish I could have had a chance at it.
12-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #71
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I would have loved to be a child counselor. But, it wasn't IBD that changed my plans. My problem was that I couldn't pass the classes for it. Where I'm working isn't the most fun place on earth. But, it does pay the bills and give me medical insurance. If I can take some classes online after Christmas, it's a possibility that I can do something a little different eventually.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
12-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #72
hingrum

My Support Groups:
My traveling is probably more limited than what you want to do. I only have so many weeks of vacation time at my job. So if I wanted to travel far, I would fly.

Cross stitch girl - even though I love my job, now that I am older I realize I may enjoy a different career in the long term. I have also been looking at online programs at the University in my town to begin that process. I wouldn't be able to begin until May though if I do. I waited to late for the spring semester.
Online options are great! My brother does it too at Penn St
12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #73
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
The reason why I can begin at anytime is mine are youtube tutorials. I began with microsoft office 2010 Publisher,Word, Access and Excel. The one I'm wanting to learn is Photoshop. I'm seeing quite a few places I can go if I learn photoshop. So, we'll see what I can do with this new challenge...
12-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
jsrichards41

My Support Groups:
I'm not really sure whether or not this is the place for this, but seeing as it's a young adult group ... How do y'all go about dating? I'm 21 and I know that the more I withdraw myself the more unhappy I'm going to be. There's finally a girl I want to ask out, but I'm currently in constant pain and virtually unable to eat, and there isn't an end in sight right now. Yeah, dating may seem trivial, but I think mental health goes a long way towards physical health, and the more I sit on my couch watching TV, the more depressed I get.
12-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #75
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry. I know that I'm no help. It's been so long since I've dated. I've been married over 13 1/2 years. When my husband and I were dating I was flaring a bit though. Made things a bit of a challenge. We did a lot of hiking and outdoor activity. There was a time or two when we had to stop along the trail for a pit stop. But, my husband even then was very supportive and helpful.

Unlike me. Is it possible to find some indoor activities or something you can do on your dates? I know it's a bit easier for us girls to carry basic neccessities in our purses. But, depending on where you are you could always carry a man bag. Good luck! I hope someone else out there has a few more ideas...
12-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #76
1Lindylou

My Support Groups:
Dating is hard, no one seems to understand what it's like staying in all the time, or everyone around you is drinking and you can't it's less fun. I've been there done that my ex boyfriend would get mad at me and just say I'm lazy and his friends didn't like me because I was to quite, it's not my fault everyone else is drinking and being loud I'm trying to make the best out the situation. My current bf has never seen me with a flare, I guess that will be his alltiment test. Sorry idk how to spell it.
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #77
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
I'm not really sure whether or not this is the place for this, but seeing as it's a young adult group ... How do y'all go about dating? I'm 21 and I know that the more I withdraw myself the more unhappy I'm going to be. There's finally a girl I want to ask out, but I'm currently in constant pain and virtually unable to eat, and there isn't an end in sight right now. Yeah, dating may seem trivial, but I think mental health goes a long way towards physical health, and the more I sit on my couch watching TV, the more depressed I get.
It's not trivial, and my best advice is… just go for it. Personally, all of my relationships have formed out of friendships and they already knew about my Crohn's because we were friends (I'm very open about it). I just find it to be less stressful that way.

However, if the stress of trying to date makes you feel worse… please try not to focus on it so much. It is an important part of life, definitely. However, health needs to come first so that you can get control of your condition. Additionally, dating is easier when you're feeling well. If it does become stressful, I'd suggest just going for friends right now. If it evolves easily from there, that's good, too.

I hope things go well!

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

12-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #78
Essieluv

Crohn's really screwed up my goals/dreams. I wanted to join the Army. The military is the only place I feel that I would belong in. Now anything I pursue I just dont feel passionate about doing, which really sucks. :/
I wanted to join the army, too. But then I got sick and now it isn't a possibility. I was really crushed when I learned that I wouldn't be able to join. I feel you there.

Waiting for a cure!
12-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #79
JustAYoungLad

Dating can be difficult with any problem, but if you find someone who likes you for who you are then you'll be fine. I would say go for any opportunity, you don't know how it will play out. Best of luck mate.

Also Essieluv, have you considered law enforcement?
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #80
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I agree with the others.. dating isn't easy generally, but with a chronic illness it can be even harder.. you just need to take your time, remember that there isn't any rush yet, mental health and physical health do go hand in hand, and having the support of a partner can really help when flaring. That being said, there's no reason to rush into anything, in my experience , the best relationships come from being friends first. That way you slowly build trust and they get to know you and can even get to know your illness from a distance. My boyfriend and I were close friends for a long time before we got into a relationship, and even though I didn't have a diagnosis, he knew I wasn't well, and shortly after we became official I got very sick.. But because we had already built a strong bond as friends, it didn't affect our relationship as much as it could, we hung out at my place a lot, watching films etc and having fun, quality time. If you can make friends and bond like that then it's a good way to start, it builds a good strong foundation.
12-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #81
tessalouise

My Support Groups:
Hi all,

I'm 24 and was diagnosed Inflammatory Bowel Disease however won't have a Crohn's or colitis diagnosis till after another colonoscopy in late February. I was diagnosed about 10 weeks ago after 3 weeks in hospital. Have had 3 infliximab transfusions and am on my last week of prendinsone after tapering down from 100mg. I also take 4 500mg sulfasalazine tablets a day (just dropped back from having 8 a day) and 100g of mercaptopurine. I have noticed since dropping the sulfasalazine back that my stomach has been a bit tender and have had cramping but that is the only pain I have at the moment. I have been experiencing a horrible taste in my mouth over the last couple of weeks which I originally thought was from my meds but my gp suggested it could be from a chest infection I have which came about from my immune system being suppressed. I am flying out of Australia to Europe next week for 5 weeks. Am nervous about travelling with being diagnosed so recently and still being so confused by the disease. My gastroenterologist and GP cleared me to go and I am just hoping I don't have a flair up mid trip. At least I know infliximab and prendinsone work well for me. Happy to see there is a support group for us young ones with this old person disease haha
12-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #82
Saeed

My Support Groups:
I'm 24,taking many medications ,had surgery ,and I go to the hospital a lot. Sometime I think I'm too young to do these things. I really feel I'm not alone here, thank you.
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #83
naffisa

My Support Groups:
Hi I'm Naffisa, completely new to this, have been thinking of joining a forum but always avoided it.
Im 21
Diagnosed with CD and Arthiritis at the age of 9
currently taking - asacol, prednisone
previously taken - prednisone,infliximab,mesalazine,azathioprine,pent asa,steroid injections,nutrition fluids.
just generally feel I need help to see it from someone elses perspective or how someone other than myself lives with this condition.
12-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #84
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Hi I'm Naffisa, completely new to this, have been thinking of joining a forum but always avoided it.
Im 21
Diagnosed with CD and Arthiritis at the age of 9
currently taking - asacol, prednisone
previously taken - prednisone,infliximab,mesalazine,azathioprine,pentasa,steroid injections,nutrition fluids.
just generally feel I need help to see it from someone elses perspective or how someone other than myself lives with this condition.
Welcome, Naffisa! Glad you've decided to join.

Is there anything specific that you're struggling with right now, or just the CD and arthritis in general?
12-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #85
naffisa

My Support Groups:
Hi, Sarah
I just struggle with being myself lately, like I'm finding it all a bit too much, I'm currently suffering from a water infection at the moment and severe abdominal pain due to medicine, my joint pain is under control due to the steroids which I'm more than happy about, but I'm just feeling down and depressed I've never felt like this, I've been reading a lot about patients with CD who have developed cancer through treatment, and I thought nothing of it cause everyone's different but I later found a lump in my breast and I'm too scared to get it checked maybe I'm thinking too much or I'm stressed I guess I just needed someone to talk to
X
12-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #86
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
It's definitely difficult!

How long have you been on the steroids, and are they planning to keep you on them? The steroids could unfortunately be adding to the depression symptoms.

I know it's scary, but please, please get the lump looked at ASAP. If there is anything to worry about (which there likely isn't), the sooner you get to it, the easier it is to treat. Please don't put it off!

Some medications can cause cancer, yes… but that's not common. I personally would not let that deter me from taking a medication, as the symptoms of untreated or improperly treated Crohn's can be just as difficult.
12-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #87
JustAYoungLad

Hi, Sarah
I just struggle with being myself lately, like I'm finding it all a bit too much, I'm currently suffering from a water infection at the moment and severe abdominal pain due to medicine, my joint pain is under control due to the steroids which I'm more than happy about, but I'm just feeling down and depressed I've never felt like this, I've been reading a lot about patients with CD who have developed cancer through treatment, and I thought nothing of it cause everyone's different but I later found a lump in my breast and I'm too scared to get it checked maybe I'm thinking too much or I'm stressed I guess I just needed someone to talk to
X
I'm sorry your going through this . Good you've joined, there is a great community here.

Hope it all gets better for you!
12-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #88
Alicat44

My Support Groups:
I'm new to any type of forum and decided to join because I don't know anyone going through this terrible disease like I am. It would be nice to talk to some people around my age that I can relate to. I'm 19, and live in sunny Florida. I don't really know what to say on this type of forum /:
12-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #89
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
There are many of us on here in the same boat. There's a whole lot of us on here and isn't really much that will surprise us. Even those who have been on here awhile do get scared and need some support. So don't worry. Take a look around, there are a whole bunch of different discussions and not many of them are the same. Let me know if I can help. Xxxx
12-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #90
Alicat44

My Support Groups:
Thank you cross-stitch gal! I really need it. I've had crohns for 9 years but it just seems to be getting harder running out of options /: it's nice to talk to someone who can relate.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Young Adult Support Group