• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton/Abscess Surgery Prep ?

Next week (Oct. 31) I am scheduled to have another rectal abscess drained & Setons placed, Colo-Rectal Surgeon is deeply concerned that there's also one+ forming in vaginal region. A Rectal/Vaginal Tunnel so to speak. Happy Halloween to me!

This procedure is not where my concerns are...

My problem is they want me to do 2 Fleet enemas (one the night before & one the morning of surgery.) The last time I had an abscess drained & Setons placed done in 2010, I had done a Gatorade/Miralax prep just like I was doing a Colonoscopy prep & had no problems with subsequent bowel movements as I made sure to take in only very soft foods, such as soups etc... for the next several weeks. It gave me peace of mind when everything seemed so out of control to KNOW I could somewhat control my B.M.'s & pain issues relating to the Setons
Is this the standard to "just do 2 Fleet enemas & I'll see you in the morning"?
That seems, to my logic anyway,-slightly unsanitary & could possibly lead to some post Seton placement pain that could be totally avoided- relating to what foods were in the digestive track yet to be processed/expelled.

And to be honest & the straight up truth is I don't want to be fumbling around with a hard tipped plastic nozzle the size of a firemans hose (to my eyes)-I have enough issues down yonder & items being inserted in my bum, without me poking around blindly...twice. I've been told my anal walls are VERY thin. I'm developing an irrational fear/panic over those 2 little squeeze bottles from hell.
I'm working myself into a downright tizzy about these damn enemas & am ready to cancel the procedure.
I am wondering about others Pre-Seton/Abscess preps.

Am I wrong in just going ahead & doing a Gatorade/Miralax prep & NOT doing those dreaded enemas. I'm not seeing any harm in my hypothesis.
I HAVE questioned the nurse & all I got was "follow your instruction sheet"
Well I think their instruction prep sheet sucks.
On another side note-When I had this procedure done in 2010 I had a heart attack on the operating table during the surgery. Perhaps I'm just not facing my actual deep seated fears & am projecting my fears on the enemas.
Well I have started rambling...so I shall stop here.
Anyone that could offer some advice/input is appreciated greatly!!
Thank You for taking your time to read this.
~wendy

I don't blame you. I abhor enemas, too. If it were me, I think I would call the office of the surgeon who was performing the procedure, and ask to speak to his/her assistant or the surgeon directly. Nurses are nice and all, but most times they won't tell you to do anything unless the doctor ok'ed it first. Explain your situation and be your own advocate. In the end, no matter what method you use, you'll be cleared out before surgery. Good luck with everything!! I'll be thinking about you and sending you prayers!

I do not blame you one bit!! Your fear of the enema is real and understandable. When I had my seton placement they had me do the Miralax prep and as far as I know, there were no issues. There needs to be a level of understanding by the doctor that those enemas will cause unnecessary pain. I believe in following Dr' s orders but in this case I would do the Miralax prep and see what happens. If they don't understand your reason for doing so, I would look for a doc. Wishing you lots of luck. I hope things go well for you!

I understand your worries. But, please remember the docs want the area both internally and externally as clean as possible. Doing an enema really is not that bad. It's a PITA for sure, pun intended, but not the end of the world.

Good Luck

Hi Wendy,

I don't know the answer, but wanted to let you know that I found your post helpful as I saw a CR surgeon on Friday and have been put on a VERY LONG waiting list for a fistulotomy and seton placement. He didn't mention the prep, so I was happy to see your post. I was thinking enema, but your way does sound better.

I agree with the advice to try to call the office and see if the secretary will ask or have the doctor call you to give you the answer.

Good luck,

Laura

How did your surgery go? My GI pulled some strings and got me in earlier, so I am scheduled for December 17. Have been told no prep, just nothing by mouth starting midnight the day before.