Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Sore Throat and Flu like symptoms with Asacol HD!

10-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
angelface325

Sore Throat and Flu like symptoms with Asacol HD!

Help!! I'm newly diagnosed CD this month and they started me on Asacol HD 800 mg 3 Times a day. Every since taking it, my throat is sore, its hard to swallow and I feel like I was hit by a train. Complete body aches, feel like I have the flu. Dr started me on antibiotics, day 4 now, and I feel no better! Is this a side effect from asacol, or has anyone else experienced this? ? If so, does it go away? ?? I'm miserable! Don't know what to do!!
10-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so unwell. Yes. It does look like the symptoms you're getting are most likely side effects from your medication. Have you talked to your doctor about it? I would mention this asap if you haven't. Here is the information on Asacol HD for you. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

http://www.rxlist.com/asacol-hd-side...rug-center.htm

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
10-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
angelface325

Wow, that's what I thought. TY so much, I wonder what else they can put me on?
10-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
There are quite a few different medications they could change you to. I'd wait and see what they say at the doctor's office. However, it never hurts to look up the medication online to see what it is and such. Many of the members talk about their medications on here as well. You can take a look under our treatment section too for more info. Good luck!

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16
12-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
donnagag

I had a sore throat also with asacol HD. It progressed to spasm in my throat, jaw, neck, back. Dr thought it was GERD so put me on Prilosec. I tried that for 5 days, it did not help and I felt much worse. So I stopped both meds and in a day or two the sore throat went away. Two weeks later, as my stomach was not feeling as well, I took one asacol and the sore throat immediately returned. Back to the drawing board.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Sore Throat and Flu like symptoms with Asacol HD!