Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine - Sore throat

10-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
jimcon24

Azathioprine - Sore throat

Both my IBD nurse and GP said to be mindful of sore throats and to visit my GP if I got one whilst taking Azathioprine. Well I have one now and am reluctant to miss work again for a doctors appointment. I'm on 150mg and the sore throat feels like a regular winter sore throat. Does anyone think the sore throat is Aza related? My gut feeling is to head to the surgery to be on the safe side. I'd appreciate comments from anyone else who's had a sore throat whilst on this medication. Thanks.

Meds: Azathioprine 150mg, (September 2013 -)
10-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
MissCadenza

It might just be the beginnings of a cold - try some Strepsils or something to see if it relieves it and if it hasn't gone after a week, then go to the doctor. I had a sore throat a couple of weeks ago, spoke to my doctor over the phone just to be sure and she said it was most likely just a cold. And two days later, I was sneezing like crazy so yeah, it was just a cold. So probably nothing to worry about unless it lingers around for a long while.
10-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
rygon

My Support Groups:
How long have you been on aza? I think sore throats can be a sign of low white blood cell count. If I had a sore throat I would leave it a couple of days to see if it got better (whilst drinking lemon and ginger tea). If it didnt I would have rang the docs up then to see, but it never got to that stage
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
jimcon24

Thanks for both contributions. The sore throat passed- it seems like an epic cold. I guess the recovery is being delayed by the Aza which I've been on 8 weeks or so.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine - Sore throat