• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story and ongoing stomach problems

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum and decided to introduce myself.

Since grade 9 I've suffered of diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramping, reduced appetite and weight loss, extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting and delayed growth (shortest out of most my family). At first it just started as diarrhea, I had been skinny my whole life and by now I was used to it, I thought the frequent diarrhea was just my "fast metabolism" but as I grew older into my senior year of high school I had began to acquire IBD and IBS like symptoms and became tired of being skinny.

I decided to go see my family doctor and see if he could try and stop this diarrhea and help slow down this fast metabolism so that I could start to gain weight. He said there wasn't much he could do for me so he referred me over to a pediatrician. There they gave me numerous blood tests, stool tests, urine tests. Monitored my weight and height for almost a year. Many different diets where I would eliminate certain foods and food groups. However nothing worked and I still continued to feel sick. As my weight drastically decreased my pediatrician and I agreed we were not making any progress.

As I was 17 years old, instead of admitting me into the childrens hospital and start all over again with a new doctor we decided that I be referred over to a gastroenterologist that treats adults. One of my ex-girlfriends (and close friend) has Crohn's disease and I remembered her telling me she just got a new doctor after things didn't work out with her last GI. So I asked my Pediatrician to refer me over to her. After about a month of waiting I got to see my new GI and after telling her my story and how I have a family history of IBD as well as my symptoms she said it sounded like Crohn's Disease and would like to go ahead and book me for a colonoscopy soon.

At first I was devastated, to have Crohn's at my age seemed unfair, ever since i was a young child one of my dreams was to become a Bodybuilder. But overtime I expected that I may have IBD and came to terms with the disease. Now flash forward to today. I am sitting at home with the results of my colonoscopy and it says my Colon and small intestine is normal, no Crohn's and no Colitis, she noted that there was internal hemorrhoids which was the source of bleeding and that they had taken random biopsies. She said she would see me next week to review all of the results and that the diagnosis is likely IBS.

To be honest I'm not to sure how to feel about the results. Im glad its not Crohns or Colitis but I can't help but feel something was missed. Im no doctor but it seems I have some symptoms that are IBD and not IBS at all. Im not lactose to dairy even though apparently most people with IBS are. Im just getting tired of all these tests and just feeling worse and worse. I looked online and unlike all the treatment options for IBD, for IBS there seem to be few treatments that I haven't already tried with my pediatrician and have seen no results with. Hopefully my GI will have a new plan for me next week as I grow tired of feeling like crap all day and not having any energy.

Sorry for the long story, feeling kind of down today and needed somewhere to vent :/

Last edited:
I suspect your GI took plenty of biopsies during the colonoscopy. I would ask her if she checked for microscopic colitis. As it's name states it's not visible to the naked eye as ulcerative colitis is. I sympathize as I used to be super athletic, run/sprint 16 miles/WK. That was until my microscopic colitis DX which has been a bumpy path. All my best.

I suspect your GI took plenty of biopsies during the colonoscopy. I would ask her if she checked for microscopic colitis. As it's name states it's not visible to the naked eye as ulcerative colitis is. I sympathize as I used to be super athletic, run/sprint 16 miles/WK. That was until my microscopic colitis DX which has been a bumpy path. All my best.
Thanks for your reply. This is so hard on me because IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, right? Basically they test you for everything they can think of, and when they all come back negative, they just say what you have is IBS. I just really want to know whats going on inside my body as I think there is more to it...

Hi all, this is the 1st time in many years that joined a support chat group. My story is since 17years old i been fighting my health problems, they say I had it longer but came out crazy a little later by dropping down to 71lbs insane pain and as many as 42 bathroom trips in 1 day and all kinds of symtoms to enjoy with it:stinks:. my body started to shut down and was given a 50% chance on staying alive and i have had a few more close calls to death since, last time was just 6 months ago, pain 24/7 never a break:(. Im 34 now and i have had it all. full 100% with fistures crohns and i have though out the years had every symtom u can get with it. i have coushioning, addisons, pirianal, ostoporosis,artris bad joints, ulcers in my mouth, pyodem a and ecthyma gangrenosum(very rare and much more. going on 20years with only one short 6 month remission when pregnet with the 1 child i was lucky too have. i have been on every drug known as well as study drug testing to date. i have started to write a book on it all. there are pics of some of my symtoms in text books ! this past year has been hell spending much time in hospital. i use alot of humor too help deal with it all. I hope to be helpful to others and to ask others about their story. thats it for now. MY TIP OF THE MONTH, We all got to go so enjoy the go with charmin bathroom tissue, and the wipes is a must thanks to all I hope to meet you all

Brenden,
I had symptoms during 1st colonoscopy but don't think GI checked for microscopic colitis. 2nd colonoscopy confirmed it. I would ask your GI if he/she specifically tested for microscopic colitis and celiac disease. Can't hurt to ask. You deserve to know.

Brenden,
I had symptoms during 1st colonoscopy but don't think GI checked for microscopic colitis. 2nd colonoscopy confirmed it. I would ask your GI if he/she specifically tested for microscopic colitis and celiac disease. Can't hurt to ask. You deserve to know.

Brenden,
You're exactly right. I will ask this, and along with other questions I have for the GI. This may sound crazy to some, but I'm not happy with a diagnosis of IBS, especially when there is so much more going on.

I don't blame you. I was told IBS for three years by uninformed doctors. I finally after three years got more answers than just IBS. Be persistent asking them questions. It's your health and you have every right to be fully informed. Best wishes to getting answers and good health! Keep posted!

I don't blame you. I was told IBS for three years by uninformed doctors. I finally after three years got more answers than just IBS. Be persistent asking them questions. It's your health and you have every right to be fully informed. Best wishes to getting answers and good health! Keep posted!
How did you get your diagnosis change? You just asked for a second colonoscopy?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hey Brendan,

I'm sorry you're struggling with this!

Did your GI run any imaging tests, like an MRE or CT scan? Or even a capsule endoscopy? I'm asking because scopes cannot see very far into the small intestine so, you could have inflammation in the small intestine and the scopes would miss it (including biopsies). Imaging tests are much more likely to 'see' inflammation in that area.

You can also ask about stool tests - fecal calprotectin or lactoferrin - both tests will reflect intestinal inflammation.

Malabsorption is also a problem when there is inflammation in the small intestine, making it difficult to gain weight. My son was 16 (almost 17) when diagnosed, he was 145 lbs before becoming sick, went down to 120ish, did exclusive EN (enteral nutrition) and them supplemental EN and gained 30 lbs in 3 months. Since then, approx. 2.5 years, he's now at 170-175 lbs. So, it is important to get inflammation under control!!! AND, I very much encourage you to try EN, whether exclusively (no food, formula only for a time period) or supplemental (regular diet with EN formula added).

I very strongly believe EN can be hugely beneficial - it's certainly NOT a cure, and it didn't take all the inflammation away from my son (had to start on remicade), however, I do believe it's played a crucial part in maintaining his health and controlling his crohns. He still continues to drink 1 to 2 shakes per day. Feel free to ask me for more info if you'd like (tag me, ie use my name in your reply, if I don't respond to you soon ;))

Also, should the imaging or stool tests indicate inflammation, do follow-up as much as possible - maybe someone else can confirm this but, as far as I know, IBS does NOT cause inflammation.

Blood tests should also include testing for CRP (C-reactive protein) or ESR (sedimentation rate) - both these can indicate levels of inflammation, however, unlike the stool tests, these do not specifically identify intestinal inflammation... ie, could be inflammation from an injury...

Hope some of that helps!!! :)

I initially went in for a colonoscopy thinking, "something isn't right to have diarrhea as my normal BM for the day". Apparently, I didn't get my point across well enough to the GI because all I was told was to not push hard when I go because I have hemmorhoids (child birth does that). Well, I left the 1st colonoscopy feeling dumbfounded, no real answer. Things stayed the same, no treatment or DX besides celiac: avoid gluten. Then, in my 2nd pregnancy things took a turn for the worse. I don't know how I managed 39 weeks of chronic diarrhea. Doctors did nothing!!! I had a 2nd colonoscopy as soon as I had my son. My GI went in this time with the intent of looking for microscopic colitis. I was grateful for the DX but I am still looking for best long term treatment. Diet is key but it doesn't keep me from flares unfortunately. All my best to you.

Sorry to read this is really hard on you. Just keep the strength. You can fight this. Be strong in faith.