• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ugh, advise?

My name is Hannah. I'm fifteen years old. I haven't been fully "diagnosed" with Crohn's Disease yet, but my grandpa and my dad both have it. I have all the symptoms also. I am going to get a colonoscopy and an endoscopy on December 10th... I have had so much pain and stress lately though.. It hurts in my lower stomach and my head hurts almost constantly too. I just want advise and help through this... :/ :ywow:

It took a long time for my diagnosis. I wasn't officially diagnosed until after I started getting abscesses and fistulas like crazy.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Hannahemily27 and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. :hug: Hopefully the scopes will figure out what's going on. I hope that it isn't Crohn's but it is treatable. May I ask what symptoms you're having besides the pain and headaches? Has your doctor tested for any vitamin deficiencies? Being low in certain ones have been linked to causing headaches like vit C and vit D. Yet if you're having those tested then it would be good to test them all especially B12, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc (these are commonly low with Crohn's). Dehydration can also cause headaches so it would be good to increase your fluids as well especially if you have diarrhea.

During a flare I go on the low residue diet. For me it helps to reduce my symptoms. If you haven't tried changing your diet that would be a good one to start with. If your symptoms are severe like extreme pain, nausea and or vomiting then going on a liquid diet for a short period of time can help with symptoms as it allows the bowels to rest.

Also we have a teen section here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67

And we also have an undiagnosed section: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Feel free to check them out (you're perfectly welcome to the rest of the forum as well). Keep us posted on how you're doing and how the scopes go. :) If you need tips for the colonoscopy prep you can find that here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=44105

I'm sorry to hear of the pain and stress you are experiencing. Hopefully, getting a proper diagnosis for the symptoms you are having will get you on the right track to feeling better soon. I'll be rooting for you!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Sorry you're going through this. Want to send you my support and best wishes.

Hi Hannahemily :)
Just wanted to send my support because I'm 15 and not yet diagnosed either!!:hug: Hopefully you will get some answers from your colonoscopy in December!:)

I haven't been on here since I posted this. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Thank you all for caring :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that Hannahemily27 but I'm glad you got a diagnosis so you can start treating it and feeling better. :) How have you been doing? What sort of treatment plan are you on? Thank you for updating your thread. :)

I was doing okay for a while and I'm kind of going downhill lately. I'm on iv remicade and I'm taking 30 mg of prednisone every night. I might have to get surgery to take some of my intestines out...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I had a resection when I was 17 and it put me in remission for 14 years. For a lot of people on here it's given them their life back so if you do need surgery then I hope you go into a very long and lasting remission. :)

Are you taking the pred at night by the doc orders ?
They usually recommend taking at morning / afternoon in order to allow a better sleep ...