• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Expiration Date of LDN

Hello, in my country there are no pharmacies like Skip's Pharmacy. To get ldn, I give a pharmacy Naltrexone HCL 50 mg and then they crush the tablet and make 4.5mg granules. Then they put it into capsules. As a result of this way, I get nearly 300 ldn capsules. I keep capsules in a plastic box. No sunshine, no moisture. But I wonder what is the expiration date of these capsules? What do you think? I'm calling the pharmacy but I can't reach them, so your ideas is important for me.
Thank you for reply.

I have noticed a 'difference' in my pills performance as they age. I get 90 a DAY script, and refrigerate.

I will not get more than 90 pills made at a time (In fact, I am considering switching to a 60 day fill).

Mine are compounded and the pharmacy said they are most stable at room temperature. These seem to lose potency, for me, around 80 days in (probably sooner if kept at warmer temps).

Now, that might be different--or not--for the full dose 50mg pills in their whole form (not crushed) which seem to be coated differently. I haven't really researched whether you should refridgerate/freeze the whole, 50mg, coated capsules. When I mixed it in 50 ml of distilled water, I always kept it refridgerated and shook it up prior to taking. But I only took this mix, in a pinch, between scripts.

Jennifer, I reached them a week ago and they said capsules will not lose its effect majorly, I can use it for all nine months. But I'm not convinced because they actually have no clear idea about this situation and from then on, I will order my ldn capsules every 3 months.
Thanks for every reply.

Kev

Aging drastically affects the potency of compounded LDN. Pharmacies will probably tell you it will last 6 months. I would be leery of anything more than 3 months old. Problem is that, to compound them, they are typically made in batches of 100 pills. So, whenever a prescription for 90 pills is filled... there are leftovers. And I don't think these just go away. One way to resolve this is to ask your prescribing doctor to break with tradition and issue a script for 100 pills. If everyone did this, the issue with old leftovers is solved.