Share Facebook

11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Psoriasis

Hello everyone,

Well, as you can tell by the thread title, I want to ask about psoriasis. Do any of my fellow ostomites have it? I just recently developed it, and I have to say that it's really annoying! I have it across my scar, around the outside of my flange, and the worst place, my genitals! Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? Or at least make it more bearable? I'm currently using coal tar topical ointment (which stings like a bugger on the genitals, gotta say), hydrocortisone cream, and polysporin to numb things. The stuff on my stomach isn't too bad, just very flaky, and the stuff near my flange makes it hard to stick, but I've remedied that with tegaderm.

Any advice would be appreciated! I did look at the Skin subforum in the Extra Manifestations section and saw some advice, but thought I'd gather some here so it's easy for me to find later.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

11-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear, that sounds awful. I don't have it but a good friend of mine does and really cleared up on Humira. It would also help any crohn's problems you have too so it may be worth it for you.
11-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Fortunately for me, I have no Crohn's issues right now...so I don't really want to go on any meds for that if I don't have to. Thanks for the input though
11-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Can you be seen by a dermatologist? There are many topical options but they all need prescriptions. There would also be the possibility to consider UV therapy but I don't think it is indicated in all type of psoriasis...

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I saw my GI at my regular appointment and she prescribed me the coal tar gel. I guess the next step would be to go to a dermatologist if it doesn't clear up more than it has. Boy, oh boy, how I love Crohn's and all it's lovely side effects!

A friend of mine actually suggested light therapy, but not sure how to do that on my crotch...lol I think that would be a sight to see!!
11-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Summer makes everything easier, with a yard... and high fences....
11-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Hmmm...I have a yard, and a high fence...the summer part isn't cooperating though...lol
11-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
kikidee1994

My Support Groups:
Hi I suffer with psoriasis and I have it over my feet hands and head I honsely find just leaving it alone and trying to ignore it helps as its caused by stress and illness
11-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the advice kikidee1994, but ignoring the psoriasis on my lady parts is really hard! It hurts like hell, and when it's not hurting, it's itching. The rest is tolerable though.
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
ashlygt

Methotrexate works best for me - better than the biologics!
11-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
annawato

My Support Groups:
Nyx have you tried good old canestan for your "lady Parts" . I know its an anti fungal an psoriasis isn't fungal but I use it for any itches and rashes in that area- if nothing else I think it must have something in it that is soothing cos it does help. Or maybe its the placebo effect. Hydrosol which is cortisone and anti fungal (i think) may also help????

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
11-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Nyx - I sometimes get what appears to be my psoriasis/eczema spreading to my lady parts too- bad enough that I can pull large sections of dry skin off (gross, I know!).....it lasts a week or two then goes away - I'm thinking it is more of an infection/irritation than true psoriasis.....

Hopefully what you are dealing with isn't truly psoriasis - we tried something 'new' at my infusion Monday to see if mine reacts differently...will post about that in a new thread....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
11-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Went and got some good ole canesten...we'll see how that goes...it can't get worse can it? lol Thanks Anna for the tip!
11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
annawato

My Support Groups:
Hope it works!!!!
11-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Amanda89

My Support Groups:
Hi I have Crohns and was diagnosed with severe plaque psoriasis so I feel your pain with the itching. I've tried methotrexate which definitely helps (and also helps your Crohns) but after a while found the side effects too much so I'm currently on cyclosporine to treat mine which seems to be helping a bit. Hopefully you'll find the right treatment to help

Also light treatment probably wouldn't help that, but there is a cream you can get that's designed for sensitive areas on your body if you ask your gp
11-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I have Psoriasis as well but have been on Biologics so long that it barely bothers me anymore. Only a bit during a change of season. I have topical meds but when I dont i lather in Vaseline or Aquaphor and wrap it (not that you can wrap anything in the lady bits).

Good Luck.
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Well, it seems the good ole canesten is doing the trick! I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that..
11-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
annawato

My Support Groups:
Well, it seems the good ole canesten is doing the trick! I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that..
Touchwood.
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Ang71

My Support Groups:
I use Elcon cream for my psoriasis. In Australia u have to get in on prescription u can also get it in a lotion if you have it on ur scalp. The tar products never worked for me. Also humid climates are gr8 for it and the sun or the uv tanning beds..