• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story: Crohn's started at 42. Now 60. No surgeries. Mostly asymptomatic with moderate to severe disease believe it or not. Now with a stricture forming in my descending colon. Early on treated with antibiotics and steroids. Then Asacol for maintenance which did not seem to help. Now on Entocort and Flagyl. They want to put me on Remicade but I am reading that it can make strictures worse. Going for a consult at Mt. Sinai (I like my GI physician but he is sending me for a second opinion regarding the Remicade). I have a question regarding taking Culturelle; eating greek yogurt; and taking Konsyl (unsweetened psyllium husk). I feel the Konsyl helps to curb constipation which is not good for people with strictures. I am also now going on elimination diet. All gluten, most dairy, and all artificial anything. Am going to juice and not eat any raw fruits and vegetables. Any advice about nuts and beans??

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi tab726 and welcome to the forum! :D Sorry for the late reply.

If your stricture is mainly inflammation then Remicade can definitely help reduce it and prevent more inflammation. The rapid healing from Remicade can cause scaring yet healing in general causes scaring. The more the inflammation is allowed to build up, the more scar tissue you're going to be dealing with in the future. Were you able to get the second opinion or are you still waiting to see them?

Are you able to tolerate nuts and beans? Many aren't able to tolerate them during a flare so if they cause symptoms for you then its best to avoid them. Fiber in general should be avoided when you have a narrowing/stricture as it makes everything speed up but once it gets to the narrowing it bottle necks and backs up which can cause nausea, pain, vomiting etc. Eating smaller and softer meals more often can help.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

Thank you for responding. I have an apt for the second opinion in January...meanwhile I feel great on the meds I am on and a restricted diet. I am taking 1/2 the dose of Konsyl and have no problems at all...actually seems to help a lot. We will see.