Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira - any positive stories

12-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
I am on Humira and Pentasa. Can anyone say when you stop getting really fatigued after giving yourself a shot? Seems to last a couple of days then starts to subside.
Yeah that's a great question. I am the same, extremely tired after having my Humira.

Crohn's you're an ASS!!!
Current Meds
Imuran 50mg
Allopurinol 100mg
Humira

Finally off Pred wooo

DIAGNOSED 27TH FEBRUARY 2013
12-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #32
Boltmannz

My Support Groups:
Hi, my GP & GASTRO are amazed at my progress after taking the magnesium. 500mg capsule daily 1 hour before bed it also gives me a more rested sleep.
12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
McStew

AussieChick,
I believe it took me less than 4 weeks to start noticing results, it wasn't all at once like it would be for me on steroids, it was a slow (but positive!) progression over the course of those 4 weeks.

LodgeLady,
I've never felt fatigued after I take the shot, as I do my shot right before going to bed - have you tried that? I hope something works for you.

Best of luck to you both. I really hope it works for you - life is so much better in remission! Feel free to ask any more Q's along the way!
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
QueenFox

My Support Groups:
Yeah that's a great question. I am the same, extremely tired after having my Humira.
Hi AussieChick

I have been on Humira 3 months, while it hasn't helped with my fistulas I still notice I get a little tired for about 4-5 days after my injection. I don't feel as exhausted as I did for the first few injections, so it does get better.

Other side effects I noticed were diarrhea 1-2 post injection, occasionally I feel like I have a bigger appetite - then generally regret eating too much with the diarrhea.

Hope things go well for you
12-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #35
Lulabelle

My Support Groups:
Hi, I was on humira since early 2009 and I was in remission for 4.5 years having moderate/severe crohns, this length of time in remission was fantastic. I asked my previous idiot of a GI if I could come off humira to see how I got on and he simply said "yeah" no colonoscopy, bloods, nothing. I was ok for 4-5months and then had a flare and I am still dealing with it. Tried polymeric diet to get into remission but no luck so going back on humira and just waiting for the go ahead. It did well for me. Only problem is when I did my dose (every 2 weeks) I'd feel fatigued for 1-2days after so I ensured I did my dose on Friday night and could spend the weekend feeling crap before work on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
LodgeLady

Hi, I was on humira since early 2009 and I was in remission for 4.5 years having moderate/severe crohns, this length of time in remission was fantastic. I asked my previous idiot of a GI if I could come off humira to see how I got on and he simply said "yeah" no colonoscopy, bloods, nothing. I was ok for 4-5months and then had a flare and I am still dealing with it. Tried polymeric diet to get into remission but no luck so going back on humira and just waiting for the go ahead. It did well for me. Only problem is when I did my dose (every 2 weeks) I'd feel fatigued for 1-2days after so I ensured I did my dose on Friday night and could spend the weekend feeling crap before work on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I do give the shot on Friday night. Glad I'm not a party animal ....

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

12-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #37
Pam48

My doc wants me to start after January when I get new insurance. Thanks for the positive comments. I a not really sure I want to start the shots so the stories of good results help.

My doc says I have to have a home care visit to start. Anyone have to do that?
12-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
My doc wants me to start after January when I get new insurance. Thanks for the positive comments. I a not really sure I want to start the shots so the stories of good results help.

My doc says I have to have a home care visit to start. Anyone have to do that?
I went into my hospital and the IBD nurse helped me for my initial shots. The pens are really easy, hurt a little, but it's quick
Since been on the humira i no longer have diarrhoea and my blood work is coming back really good. I have been in hospital twice, but due to a partial blockage. This is however from all the damage done in the last year because none of the other medications were working, so there is a lot of scar tissue there atm. However I am not in a flare, no inflammation, nothing and this is the first time So humira for me has already started working. I now just have to wait for my MRI scan results to see how much damage is there.

Good luck with yours, I hope it works for you too
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
Ckoenig

Keep us updated Pam! I had my loading doses yesterday! Feel like shit today, but hopeful.
My tissues/muscles feel sore in odd places if tht makes sense.
I'm just resting and drinking fluids and hoping this works! Thanks
For encouraging a positive thread the things I have read scare the life out of me!

Mother of Tyler (13) Twin Girls Rian (11) Victoria (11)
My girlfriend is amazingly supportive!

Dx'd with Crohn's Disease 8/29/2013 6 inches of diseased terminal illeum. As of December 2014 currently in remission!

Humira as of Dec 18
B-12 injections monthly
2,000 iu Vit D daily
250 mg florastor probiotic 2 x daily
.25 Xanax as needed
12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
myriahdawn

My Support Groups:
I started Humira about 8 months ago after getting an anal fistula. Although the fistula is still there Humira has made a huge difference in my symptoms overall. I have the best BM's now! My main concern was getting sick all the time and honestly everyone I work with catches colds way more than me still. I eat healthy and wash my hand, that seems to keep the bugs away. So, overall Humira has been great for me!

HD

Crohn's: Diagnosed 4/2011 (Ileum & Colon)
Med: Humira
Vitamins: fish oil, vitamin D, B12 & a multi-vitamin
Surgeries: 2012-2013: Ano-rectal fistula repair & repair again & etc.... 7/10/14 - got a plug/flap combo!!!
12-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #41
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
Keep us updated Pam! I had my loading doses yesterday! Feel like shit today, but hopeful.
My tissues/muscles feel sore in odd places if tht makes sense.
I'm just resting and drinking fluids and hoping this works! Thanks
For encouraging a positive thread the things I have read scare the life out of me!
I was the same. Was reading way too much negative things about Humira which was terrifying!!
Good Luck with the Humira Hope it works for you
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you an update. So I have been on Humira for 6 weeks now and I can honestly say I am feeling great. I have been in hospital twice however with partial obstructions, but with my last MRI its just inflammation and no scar tissue and I am already noticing a HUGE difference. I have been pred dependent the whole time, but I have been off it now for a few weeks. The day of and after I give myself a shot I am pretty tired all day, but it passes by the second day. Also I am still extremely tired by the afternoon and sometime need a nap, hopefully this improves. I also notice 3-4 days before my shot is due my symptoms start to show, my knees are aching horribly, a little diarrhoea starts etc. But as soon as I have my shot, I'm all good again, except for the fatigue. To me that really shows me the Humira is definitely doing something, because without it, I would be pretty 'shit' house

I hope everyone is doing well
X
01-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #43
Andy357

That's awesome news AussieChick!! Humira was a total lifesaver for me since I started treatment a year ago. The fatigue was the only downside but hey it's the best I've felt in 5 years so hell I'll take it!!

Please keep updating your progress and I hope your positive results continue!
01-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #44
Pam48

I just sent all of my information in to the Doc to starting getting certified for Humira.

I was in remission for over 10 years and had a bad flare up start around Thanksgiving. I am now on 60 of prednisone a day but it feels so much better.
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #45
Ckoenig

Just had my Humira ambassador come out. She was really nice she came right here to the house. I got a cool calendar and symptom log. I took my 2nd 2 injections on New Years Day. I've had a slight headache, some aches, and become really exhausted but it's dying down today. I had a normal bm today and my chest pains have been so much less! So far Humira has been life changing for me. I really hope this continues. And now I only have to take 1 injection every 2 weeks. Happy Humira girl here and FYI I am the most paranoid about medicine and anxious person you can imagine. So this was a giant leap and very challenging for me. I literally imagine having a stroke or anaphalactic reaction.
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #46
scoutfinch

My Support Groups:
AussieChick - very happy that you're doing better! Coming off pred can be terrible, but you seem to be faring OK. I hope your health continues to improve and that you get back to "normal" soon!

Ckoenig - that's awesome that it's working so quickly. Your concerns about medication are warranted, and yes, it's a risk to go on a biologic, but (as you've seen) sometimes risks can have worthwhile rewards. Hope you continue to get better!
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #47
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone for the support

Will definitely keep you all updated. Hope everyone is doing well...

x

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira - any positive stories