Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Is anyone else overweight?

04-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
TooSick

Is anyone else overweight?

Despite all the negative effects of Crohn's, malabsorption, etc., I am the heaviest I've ever been. My weight does fluctuate some, but I cannot seem to lose any weight long-term. I feel like the only Crohnie in the world who is overweight!

Currently taking:

Protonix 40 mg
Vitamin D
Iron (sometimes)
(Other meds for other stuff...)
04-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
katiesue1506

Its not uncommon, plus you are on Pred... pred makes you hold water... PLUS it also makes you think you look more huge than you do. It messes with your head. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I call my extra weight "buffer room"
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
butt-eze
Superstar

I am very overweight thanks to two years of prednisone and inactivity.
Committee Chair for CCFA Northwest Chapter
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
TooSick

Thanks. I have steadily gained weight over the last 7-8 years. With the pred I can understand (and I have been on it previously several times), but normally I don't eat a lot and I eat healthy. I have celiac's, so I can't eat most of the stuff that causes lots of people weight gain...plus, I'm a vegetarian. I don't drink soda and I stay away from sugar and junky/refined stuff.

Butt-eze, I guess it's probably the same thing as you...pred & inactivity.
04-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
bradraz

i weigh 150 pounds at 5'6" so yah im a little bit over weight haha
04-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
TooSick

bradraz said:
i weigh 150 pounds at 5'6" so yah im a little bit over weight haha
That's nothing! I need to lose about 80 lbs.
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
bradraz

Yah but im still gaining weight!! its the damn prednisone!!! lol. Before the prednisone i was down to 127, now i am 150 in a period of 2 weeks. !!!! so im prolly gonna be keep gaining unless i start exercising lol! but good luck with your weight.
04-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
TooSick

Oh lord, don't get me started on the prednisone! lol
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
bradraz

haha!! yah im on 30 mg right now
04-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
You can be overweight with crohns without the pred. I am... I really could do with losing 15-20 pounds. I think more exercise would help me. I don't eat much junk, but sometimes I just have to eat what I can when I can! And someitmes I think I may be better off with some "reserves" in case I can't eat in the future!
04-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Pen said:
when you dont feel good or in pain, who the hell wants to worry about your diet?
...exactly!

True about the getting off the lazy butt though... I'm trying to get walking more... walked about three miles yesterday and felt like I'd been beaten up!
04-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I set off in the right direction... but coming back I've got to get past the new Ice Cream Parlour that's opened in the village!
04-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Agent X20 said:
I set off in the right direction... but coming back I've got to get past the new Ice Cream Parlour that's opened in the village!
Well at least if you stop for ice cream on your walk, it's better than driving there!
We have one in our village too. Right in the middle. It's SO hard to go there without stopping!

Right now I am only 5 pounds overweight. I just gained about 45 back over the past year - but I desperately needed it. I was trying to stay at 135, cuz that's where I feel and look the best, but I am 140 now DAMN EASTER CANDY! And I still have a ton of candy left that I am not willing to throw out. My goal 2 weeks ago was to maintain 135. Oopsies. Now my goal is to not go above 140.

I've only been to the gym twice since my son was born, haha - he's 8 now.
And only recently, I have started wallking again without the fear of crapping myself on the way.

I've always said though - I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny with Crohn's.
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
JoeGJ

TooSick said:
That's nothing! I need to lose about 80 lbs.
I'm with ya. 5'8" 260lbs. Lots to lose.
I am not on Pred. I have no excuse except lazy. I also have a breathing problem do to my lazy butt not exercising.

My appetite has not changed with crohns, which I thought was weird??:
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
ChefShazzy

I'm not the heaviest I've ever been, but I am still overweight... about 215lb right now (I used to be about 300lb)... My weight drops and goes back up all over the place depending on if I am flaring or on prednisone... While I would like to drop a few more pounds and make it down to 175 or so... I would rather do it the healthy way than lose it through a flare up. Since I'm on prednisone right now, I'm retaining a lot of water and eating like a horse. I'm trying not to worry about it too much right now, and focus on eating fresh and healthy and try to be as active as possible on my good days.
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
04-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
ChefShazzy

...and to add to that last post, I'd be happy reaching 175lb, even though I would still be overweight, I wouldn't want to be much lower than that... I'm a curvy girl and I'd like to keep some meat on my bones. and you know what they say, never trust a skinny chef...
04-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
katiesue1506

I'm currently 145... at 5'5.5"... that may sound large and in charge but I'm also curvy and so I hold weight differently... plus like 15 of its in my boobs and ass. I was told today that I could hold a lot of weight without looking fat. Ha... compliment?
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Menking914

I am about 20 pounds, though I feel very healthy. I was only on prednisone for a month but the effects were devastating. Mostly though, I think I have gained weight simply because of all the time I have had to spend laid up or inactive because of the chronic pain or hospital stays I have had.

Sometimes, you just have to fight through. What I am doing is just walking around campus everyday, it might be like 3 or 4 miles. But just everyday do some little thing, not stressful and it should help. Then again I am 18 so what the hell do I know about really losing weight or gaining it haha
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
bradraz

katiesue1506 said:
I'm currently 145... at 5'5.5"... that may sound large and in charge but I'm also curvy and so I hold weight differently... plus like 15 of its in my boobs and ass. I was told today that I could hold a lot of weight without looking fat. Ha... compliment?
haha your the same size as me praticly! cept im kinda fat cause i got no boobs and no ass to hold the fat lmfao
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
AIjen

Ugh. Me too. I thought I was a rarity, but again, I see I'm not. I swore I'd never get up to 200, but I did. 205-210 in fact. I'm 5'9" and used to hold me extra weight well, but not this much weight! I'm really hoping I can find some energy this spring/summer to get out and walk. I'm so drained by the time supper is finished and everything is cleaned up. It's something I'm just going to have to push through I guess.

I'm thinking about trying Slimquick..................any opinions on that? I love their commercials, and if they aren't the truth, huh?
Current Diagnoses: Asthma (Can't remember), Hashimoto's (June 07), Psoriasis (March 08), Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (Jan. 08), Fibromyalgia (Jan. 08), Crohn's (Dec. 08), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (June 12)

Current Medications: Levothyroxin, Lyrica, Advair, Cimzia, Zyrtec, and Prevacid. Back on Pentassa 12/04/12.
04-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
TooSick

katiesue1506 said:
I believe you...I used to be the same way. I'm 5'8.5" and when I weighed 170, I looked good. My family is very big-boned (my mother weighed 155 when she got married and she was SKINNY!). People always used to tell me that I carried my weight well, too. That was before I got really fat, though! lol

Ugh...I don't get why it's so darn hard to lose! I used to be able to lose weight with no problem at all!
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
Procyon

I'm like, 190 lbs at 5'7''. When I started flaring this winter, I ended up dropping back down to like, 165, but then the prednisone put the weight right back on. And it gives me moobs, slightly. Can't stand it. @[email protected] The prednisone makes me worry about my weight and appearance more than I should, I think. It's like KatieSue said, it messes with your head.
04-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
BWS1982

I know I lately posted a lot on gaining weight (I myself want to eventually gain to be a lean 215ish or so, ~8% bodyfat, from there, my goals are going to be maintaining it and then strength increases), but assessing fat/weight can get convoluted. Cutting/losing fat is a little less complex once understood, but assessing what fat there is to cut and how to go about isolating it as a target, is more difficult. The mirror and how clothes fit must be utilized at least as much as a scale. A fashion tape measure is also very handy.

Even for females, I feel it prudent to point out that "weight" is a nebulous concept, particularly with IBD patients due to body compositions. Sort of as a few have pointed out, it's partly how you carry it, but it's also what that weight is consisting of. For instance, muscle, water, adipose tissue (fancy schmancy word for fat tissue), food, and other components/fluids can make up a gain or loss in "weight"....And don't get me started on the BMI system.

Long ago I was what is known as "skinny fat" on guys, I was at 190 (I'm 5'11") I had mostly fat (geek fat) and didn't do anything except basketball. In 2003 I lost most of it, and burned off enough to see abs popping at 145 lbs in 2004, but wanted to put on muscle so I started bodybuilding (I had probably lost a fair amount of muscle trimming down, as I was still learning and didn't really do any weights).

I'll add to this by saying that weight lifting will help you cut fat and weight, especially if you are new to it. My friend who is a few years older than me used to weigh about 400 lbs, he was given some morbid warnings by his doc, quit smoking, and dropped down to about 230 and now competes in Marathons and was working on an Iron man last I knew (if he hasn't done one already)...He said at first, when he added in the weight training, he was shedding around 5 lbs a week with a refined diet. That's on the higher end because his body was so willing to give up the excess energy (yes, fat is simply a storage mechanism for the body, nothing more) at the weight he was at, and it did slow down after 300 lbs, but it's widely known and fairly well accepted that weight training will attack fat loss goals better than just cardio and dietary intervention alone.

It boosts your metabolism more, ensures you lose a much higher proportion of fat as opposed to precious lean body mass (muscle), keeps energy higher, adds density to your bones (a big plus for Crohnies and pred users), helps the immune system (regulate it, not overactivate it), gives you better form and shape, helps your joints (and does not hurt them, as a certain myth asserts) the list goes on. On top of that, it is often perceived as less repetitious than cardio, and can be done in place of it in some cases. Even moderate resistance training will do, just make sure you ease into any of it and learn the form first. You won't get bulky (unless you purposely try to and know how to) or anything, if you're new to it and do it moderately, it'll actually "lean you out," for lack of a better term....

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4

Last edited by BWS1982; 04-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.
04-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #24
gratefuljackie

I am overweight. i have been for many years. It started when I was a teen and was on high doses of prednisone for another autoimmune disease. I was never able to get the weight off.
Since then i ahve slwoly put weight on. I think being undiagnosed with Crohns for many years is a bit of the problem. When my stomach is upset and I feel sick I eat. I'd rather feel the discomfort of fullness rather than the nawing nausea in my stomach. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder.
My GI told me to get fit. Easier said then done. It is incredibley hard when I feel so much fatigue and sickness. Then I overdo it and I am sick for a while and afraid to go back.
What helped me is many areas the most was Yoga. I had a teacher who was extremely gentle . Even being very overwieght I coudl do it as long as I accepted and lsitned to my body. I pray I can get back to Yoga. Where there is a will there is a way !!! And I have the will
04-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #25
cheeky

i'm currently 148-150 and i'm 5'1 or 5'2.... fortunately because i have a medium boned frame, i can get away with the extra weight, i mostly carry it in my hips/thighs, butt and boobs...

but i was 128-130 a couple months ago... i gained 20 pounds during the last few weeks i was on prednisone (at first i was maintaining, but then i foolishly stopped working out).

i've also had a history of my weight fluctuating, but i dunno... last year is when i had lost weight again and it seems to be a combination of exercise and less eating ...and apparently my crohn's must've contributed.... throughout the years (since 2002) i've been as heavy as 170-178... and my lowest has been 118. i do notice that when i try to lose weight, i lose it super fast, and there's no difficulty (maybe that's from crohn's?) so yeah, over the last year (right before prednisone), i was down 40 pounds...and it was only recently i was diagnosed with crohn's... so i'm guessing because it was at it's worse, the weight was falling off.

at this point, i haven't really tried to lose the 20 pounds i gained...and i've been eating a lot, and not healthy foods (i know i know, i should be careful)... anyway, i just started working out again, so i'm confident the weight will come off within a month or two....

but i am pretty pissed off about the weight gain from pred... i was lucky not to get moon face or a distended / really big stomach but still, i wish i didn't gain.... should've kept working out cuz i was eating like a beast. lol

Last edited by cheeky; 04-16-2009 at 06:39 AM.
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #26
NatalieMT

I'm 5ft 9 and currently weigh in at 107lbs. I have never been overweight - the highest I ever got was 166lbs, wasn't anything Crohn's related I was just big then all the eating problems hit. I have had an eating disorder close on 6 years now.

I managed to taper off pred. but it did make me feel a lot heavier when I was on it and I certainly had moon face etc, it really puffed up!

I think most of all though, regardless of weight, it's just important to lead a healthy lifestyle, eat as well as you can, do as much exercise as you feel is needed just walking rather than taking the car, some gentle swimming etc and just feel well. Who cares if you're not losing weight - just feel good for you.

Last edited by NatalieMT; 03-19-2010 at 04:58 AM.
04-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Yep I yo-yo alot weight wise and by as much as 20kg believe it or not!

Biggest problem is I am usually on steroids in one form or another for my chest (asthma), gut (crohns) or joints (arthritis) so cant really win. I also carry alot of fluid and notice the big change when I lose it.

I do exercise when I can and its mostly swimming now. I used to be very athletic and hurdled, sprinted and distance swam along with butterfly race. In the last 10yrs my stamina has reduced greatly and its the side of my life that I really miss. So do try to exercise when I can.

My different teams that manage my health issues all keep telling me not to worry about my weight but I have to say it does get me down at times. Currently I am trying work out a regime where I can manage to lose the excess and maintain some stability on this front as waiting til I am better just realistically isnt going to happen long term.

With all the hype in the media about an obesity epidemic there are days I feel like wearing a huge sign saying I look like this because of major health problems not because I choose to!

Sigh.. will get there in the end as I always do LOL Hmmm anyone got any ideas on how I can get Elle Macphersons bod overnight? Do you think she would notice if I nicked hers? LOL

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
04-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #28
BWS1982

This isn't all that different than what PB4 posted, but in case it also helps, this was on Yahoo yesterday, it's worded different with some new aspects explained. The first one on the first page is one I've always touted, and even got into some trouble for supporting on the Shape.com forums, about how intensity trumps the "fat burning zone", which I have always said. HIIT will be a better choice (interval training, or sprints) as opposed to a slow, constant jog if you want to look at the big picture....though, slow long jogs every now and then won't hurt...

http://www.divinecaroline.com/articl...alth-hype--six
04-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
JillianB82

Glad to see I'm not alone! I always wondered with pooping as much as I do, why am I not loosing weight? I do not eat a ton, due to it killing my stomach, go to the bathroom severa; times a day, walk/jog almost daily, but I've still gained about 20lbs this year. UGH! Dang Entocort!!!
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #30
BWS1982

Some more good info explained here, if it can be applied to our lives, that is:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/gabb...r-weight-loss/

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Is anyone else overweight?