Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Questran and Cholestyramine unavailable, any alternatives in the UK

11-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
J28

Questran and Cholestyramine unavailable, any alternatives in the UK

Hi All, would really appreciate some help. My Mum takes Questran which any of you out there that takes this will know is a godsend. Unfortunately it is unavailable at the moment, and will not be available until some time in 2014. The alternative is the generic Cholestyramine which she has been taking for the past few months. Unfortunately the pharmacy is also unable to source a supply of this at the moment leaving my Mum in a panic. Her doctor is unaware of any other alternative and is trying to get in touch with the hospital to see what they suggest. Would really appreciate it if anyone could advise of anything that they currently take or have tried as an alternative.
11-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
I take Questran in Canada. The brand I was given is Olestyr. I have been taking only for a week but it seems to be helping me.

Diagnosed 1989
Asacol,Pentasa and Entocort (didn't work in 2005 and didn't work now)
Done with Prednisone 09/07/13
Azathioprine (Imuran)150mg no longer working
Developed allergic reaction to Humira injection!
Currently trying Remicade with Methotrexate
Still trying to get into remission!

Ileocecol resection surgery
September 14th, 2013.
55cm small bowel removed!
11-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Nims22

My Support Groups:
If the concern is to stop or slow down diarrhea, maybe try Lomotil? It is very different than Questran... More like a super powered Imodium, but it works really well for me.
11-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Aussie

Hi J28, you could try colesevelam or colestipol.

Best wishes.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Questran and Cholestyramine unavailable, any alternatives in the UK