Share Facebook

08-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #31
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

Poor kid
He's lucky to have you for a mom though!
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #32
momandsonofcrohns

Thanks so much! This is a great place for me it's nice to talk to others regarding this
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
momandsonofcrohns

My son has had a sore throat for 2 weeks , a stye on his eye stayed home from school yesterday but got his blood taken just waiting for results maybe he'll take less of the immuran- its hard seeing him sick!
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #34
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

That's awful
I hope he gets better soon.
Hasn't he only been on the Imuran for 2 weeks?
09-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #35
farm
Captain Insaneo

momandsonofcrohns said:
My son has had a sore throat for 2 weeks , a stye on his eye stayed home from school yesterday but got his blood taken just waiting for results maybe he'll take less of the immuran- its hard seeing him sick!
Make sure to keep us updated!
09-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
momandsonofcrohns

My son got blood results back - his liver enzymes are high- but his gi wants him to be on 100mgs for another month then recheck- im confused i thought he said if they were high he would adjust meds-so i have an apt with his fam dr for blood work fu in a few weeks - in the mean time im having bright red blood for 2 days now when i have a bm (normal consistancy though) i will go see my dr once he is all taken care of - maybe its a fissure or hemr not sure never had this before. Im am tired but that goes with the disease- thanks everyone for listening and responding it sure is nice to talk to others regarding him.
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
momandsonofcrohns

I know its hard not to worry though- he got over his sore throat- wasnt strep thank goodness. His stye is gone- just got back from the oral surgeon and they had to cut his gums because his tooth isnt coming up straight- for his braces my husband said tears just coming down his cheeks when they numbed him up about 8 shots poor guy- he is requesting mashed potatos tonight yum! His energy level is shot especially in the morning he gets up to eat then lays back down til 10 min until the bus comes. Otherwise he goes afterschool and bikes and skateboards with his friends i am very thankful for that- he chose to not be in football because of the b-room thing and im so ok with that- his friends have been wonderful about it and watching him take so many meds- he is still taking 8 asacol and his 2 immuran daily- i give him the immuran at night so the nausea doesnt really affect him. I will keep you posted re his next blood results- his gi is from iowa city and comes out by us (outreach clinic) once a month- i sched his next apt for November. To me that seems a little long but i am assuming if liver enzymes go up they just adjust meds and don't need to see him. I am so happy that his bm's are not more than 5 a day like before. Again a teenager sometimes hard to get answers re his bms but i know and feel comfortable that he is telling me what i want to know. Being a mom its a little obvious. He doesnt like the iron pill it really upsets his stomach so he hasnt been taking that his gi said it was fine once the blood work comes back again if they see he needs it they will maybe switch to a dif iron pill. Thanks again for listening
11-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #38
momandsonofcrohns

Hello again quick update had more blood taken his inflam markers are up they are giving him 25mgs more total of 125 then in 3 weeks take blood work again and see if it improves. He is so fatigued but keeps going thank goodness. I think i will ask his gi about b12 shots it helped me. Asacol now comes in 800 mg tablets so he only has to take 2 in morn and 2 at night with his 2 1/2 immuran 125 mgs the asacol pill is a little bigger but he likes not taking 8 anymore He is having bloody stools so we finally got the stool test done got back results today negative. Good news but what is the bleeding from? His gi did a rectal finally i left the room so he couldn't say no to him. He said no fissure or hemmohroid - it is not every day but now he is saying he has pain with it- asked him if it was on the left or right side he said he didn't know again getting aggrivated with mom asking questions- his gi mention possibly another colonoscopy for him which i know will be devastating for him! Im thinking a week or two of being admitted cleaning out the gut, iv fluids and get the damn colonoscopy done to. I pray he feels better he looks terrible. A few people at work asked me if he had cancer! He has dark under his eyes and now he never wants to eat dinner. I pray he feels better soon.
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #39
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Hi
I just read this thread. Wow, I'm sorry you are having to go through all this. I can't imagine what it must be like for you. My daughter is 13 and all of a sudden she has become so modest and embarrassed easily. It's only natural that your son would get shy about discussing his bodily functions. He's lucky to have a mom who understands the pain and can sympathize with him. I will be praying for you both.
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
farm
Captain Insaneo

Thanks for the updates. We'll pray with you!!
11-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #41
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am really sorry that your son was diagnosed with Crohn's so young. I too have had it since about 12, but was not diagnosed until I was 15. Kids can be very cruel. I thought I was okay with the diagnosis at first, but then about6 months after I became severely depressed and had a lot of anxiety. I went to a psychologist at the local Children's hospital and it helped me out a lot. They teach you ways to cope with the disease, and they teach you ways to gain more confidence in yourself and learn to face your fears.

I would really recommend getting him into something like that, or even a Crohn's support group.
11-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #42
kello82

hi masoc, sorry your son still isnt doing well

in one of your posts a while ago you mentioned that your son had a stye in his eye? i just wanted to let you know that crohns can also cause problems like that with the eyes. im not sure what its called but ive had it many times before, fortunately they havent acted up for a long time though.
what did it look like? mine was always a small white-ish or pink bump RIGHT where the iris meets the white of my eye. it was never anywhere else on my eye, whenever it popped up it was somewhere in that ring. and then from the bump there were always a few pink blood vessels that ran from the bump outward, like bloodshot eyes when you are tired, but this was only around where the bump was.
ANYways, i went to the eye doc and they said it does have to do with crohns BUT the thing is that non-crohns people can get it too.
but they prescribe mild steroid eyedrops and for real, the thing is gone in 2 days. those drops are amazing.
was it really uncomfortable for him to blink? it feels like you have something stuck in your eye, feels like when you have an eyelash in there or something.
ok well hopefully that helps, look into it if he should have problem with his eye again!

one more thing, as far as the bleeding when he goes poo, is thre any chance he has a skin tag? its not a hemmroid, it is just a bit of skin that forms right around the bum hole, i got quite a few (my surgeon decdided to remove them when i was under for something else and it was a breeze) and they DID cause some pain and did bleed. over time though they stopped bleeding and hurting. almost like they were on their way to being dead bits of skin.
well see if you can get a peek or ask him (i know he is embarrased, poor guy =/) but i hope it will help.

good luck masoc!! much love and concern to you and your son
Everything, everything will be alright.

<3 Mik
11-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #43
CrohnsHobo

momandsonofcrohns said:
asked him if it was on the left or right side he said he didn't know again getting aggrivated with mom asking questions
Sorry to hear about your son.

The part above did make me chuckle though. I got diagnosed at 16 and I am 31 now. My mom still aggravates me with the questions.

It's a moms job to ask, and it is a young mans job to be tough. It happens. Even into my late 20's I had times where my mom demanded to go to the Dr. with me because she felt I wasn't giving the whole story and I probably wasn't.

I hope he starts feeling better soon. He's got a long haul ahead of him, but if he takes it all with the right frame of mind it can teach you a lot about life.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
11-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #44
Rhonda

CrohnsHobo said:
Sorry to hear about your son.

The part above did make me chuckle though. I got diagnosed at 16 and I am 31 now. My mom still aggravates me with the questions.

It's a moms job to ask, and it is a young mans job to be tough. It happens. Even into my late 20's I had times where my mom demanded to go to the Dr. with me because she felt I wasn't giving the whole story and I probably wasn't.
I'll have to admit, it made me grin too. Keith was diagnosed at 12 and I've seen more of my share of exasperation from him as I ask him again what his bowels looked like today.

~Rhonda

She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. ~ Mark Twain

11-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #45
britt_l_andy

I can't image how you feel with your son having Crohn's at such a young age. I am 24 and every time I have to go to the er I take my mom. Why? Because I know she will get things done. My mom asks everyday if I had taken my meds and how I am feeling. I found this great tracker from Crohnsandme.com Its called the wellness widget. You can track how many bm, pain levels, fatigue, and how you feel overall. Then when you see your gi you can print out reports of the last month or even few days. It might be a great way for him to keep track of himself. Oh and there is a place to write notes too, I put down when I taper if there was blood in the bm, or food that I find I cant eat. Maybe this will help you guys out.
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #46
momandsonofcrohns

Thanks for all the posts i spoke to his gi's nurse tom today - unfortuanately dr was doing procedures all day. He asked me tonight when do i see my dr again i asked him why he said when he poops it hurts - i thought it was his stomach!~the nurse is supposed to call me tomorrow with what the dr wants next- just figures the stool sample he finally took had no blood in it and whatever they were checking for came out negative good news but why has he been having bleeding here and there and why is there pain when he goes? Yep could be a skin tag but he wont let me look ill leave that up to the dr. So i will hear news tomorrow - i know he said if his inflam markers don't go down he may have to do the remicade infusions. If he wants to do the colonoscopy again i hope they admit him cause it's going to be tough having him drink this. When he was admitted with this lovely disease they gave him the gallon of go lightly - his gi said they dont use that way for kids thank goodness i think he said pills and some to drink. I am so stressed out right now smoking like theres no tomorrow and i really want to quit soon(my husband and i smoke outside) it will happen soon- once everything starts getting better. Im wondering is there another test that they can do besides drinking the prep but go up his but? He hasn't had an upper gi yet either. So im thinking maybe they can go that route first i don't know- just thinking- thanks again for listening-again i wish this was all a nightmare and im going to wake up and he doesnt have crohns
11-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #47
momandsonofcrohns

Spoke to his nurse- they are wanting him to to the steroid again for 6 weeks then go off- maybe help his flair- has an apt to see his gi 12-4 also. Blood work in 2 weeks. Will update when i know some more- he is soooooo tired especially in the morning to go to school. The nurse said when the colonoscopy is needed they do the 4 day prep it is some powder you can put in anything and doesnt have a bad tase yeah He did dring the barium at some point- so maybe this steroid will help for now.

Last edited by momandsonofcrohns; 11-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #48
crohnsmum

My son was 13 when he was diagnosed after a year of weird complaints, not knowing if it was school stress or what. Anyway he was on Asacol, Nexium, 6MP but never really made progress until he was switched to Remicade at age 16. Now he is 20 and Remicade stopped being effective at the beginning of this year. He was put on Humira but it has taken me 6 months to persuade him to get it started! The older they get the harder it gets to force them to do things. I still manage his condition, he flatly refuses to, I guess he will as he grows mature.