Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's symptoms worse?

11-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's symptoms worse?

I've been taking probiotics with prebiotics(inulin) as a supplement and my symptoms are getting worse. So, I'm wondering; can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's disease symptoms worse? If so, how?
Do you have any experience, information or idea?
I'm wondering could prebiotic intake ended as overgrowth of harmful bacteria?
11-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
D Bergy

I have taken some probiotics that do not agree with me. In particular Garden of Life.

I am now taking just acidophilus and it works fine.

There can be a little change at first as your bacterial mix changes, but that should go away in a few days. If it lasts for weeks though you want to discontinue using it.

Dan
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Kev

My Support Groups:
Couple of things... overgrowth of bacteria... good or bad... may not sit well with the gastric system. And, prebiotics would/should feed probiotics... but I'm wondering if they could also nourish bad gut flora... And, although some companies used to advertise they had the 'most' good bacteria and largest variety of strains.... independent testing indicated that ingesting multiple good strains resulted in adverse effects. The good strains ended up competing with each other... providing bad bugs with an opportunity to prosper.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's symptoms worse?