• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's symptoms worse?

I've been taking probiotics with prebiotics(inulin) as a supplement and my symptoms are getting worse. So, I'm wondering; can taking probiotics with prebiotics as a supplement make crohn's disease symptoms worse? If so, how?
Do you have any experience, information or idea?
I'm wondering could prebiotic intake ended as overgrowth of harmful bacteria?

I have taken some probiotics that do not agree with me. In particular Garden of Life.

I am now taking just acidophilus and it works fine.

There can be a little change at first as your bacterial mix changes, but that should go away in a few days. If it lasts for weeks though you want to discontinue using it.

Dan

Kev

Couple of things... overgrowth of bacteria... good or bad... may not sit well with the gastric system. And, prebiotics would/should feed probiotics... but I'm wondering if they could also nourish bad gut flora... And, although some companies used to advertise they had the 'most' good bacteria and largest variety of strains.... independent testing indicated that ingesting multiple good strains resulted in adverse effects. The good strains ended up competing with each other... providing bad bugs with an opportunity to prosper.