Share Facebook

11-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
NateM

Mucus in stool?

Lately, whenever I go number 2, the toilet fills with a clear mucus. I dont feel it come out, i just see it 'swirling' in the toilet water. Whenever I sit down for too long, it seems as though this mucus 'leaks' out and wets my underwear. Sometimes it has no smell, other times it smells like poop.

I do not have any anal fissures or sores around the anus.

I dont eat any junk food or milk. I exercise regularly and I am currently in remission and have been for several years (6?)

What is causing this?
11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I too have been passing a large amount of mucus. I've mentioned this to my GI before and he hasn't been terribly concerned. Biggest thing for him is if there's blood with it. It's possible that the mucus could be more of a protectant and is possibly there to help heal the area. Here is some info I found that I'm hoping might help some.

http://www.ihaveuc.com/mucus

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relate...mucusstool.htm

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
11-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
It can be a manifestation of active crohn's. "Visible mucus in the stool could be also be due to a bacterial infection, an anal fissure, a bowel obstruction."
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relate...mucusstool.htm

I had a lot of mucus for an abscess and now have a lot with draining fistulas. It's best to check it out since it's a new symptom.
11-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
What have you been diagnosed with Nate? This might help us understand and give you ideas as well.
11-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
NateM

What have you been diagnosed with Nate? This might help us understand and give you ideas as well.
I only had one flare up, when I was young (10-14). They then diagnosed me with a very mild case of Crohn's. I have been in remission every since.

I dont believe I have an anal fissure. I have felt around the anus, and I dont not feel anything out of the ordinary or have any pain.
11-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Nate you can have abscesses, fistulas and fissures in the anus and be unaware, they can be deeper. I'm not saying you have one but I think a prostrate exam by your doctor is warranted.
11-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Nims22

My Support Groups:
I would say that warrants a visit to the doctor just for peace of mind. I get mucous that comes out when I urinate sometimes without me even realizing it. Luckily it hasn't happened off of the toilet. It usually happens between flares and my stomach won't feel right around the time it's happening. I have not been in remission at all since getting sick. I'll have some pretty decent weeks with one or two bad days, but no really long stretch without symptoms.
11-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Nate you can have abscesses, fistulas and fissures in the anus and be unaware, they can be deeper. I'm not saying you have one but I think a prostrate exam by your doctor is warranted.
I agree. It never hurts to get checked out.
11-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
I agree, I would run it by your gastroenterologist. Lots of things can cause mucus, Mucus is very common with IBS as well from what I was told. I would ask you gastro just to be sure though.