• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need questions answered regaurding living with Crohn's Disease

Hi,

I am a college student and just got diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago. I have very little symptoms of the disease so far, so I'm guessing that I am currently in the beginning stage. I am not on any medication at the moment. I was wondering if someone would be willing to answer some questions that I have about this disease. I would like to understand what it is like to live with Crohn's disease and the effects that it has on a person's daily life. If you are interested in answering a few questions for me please email me at: gigue014@d.umn.edu

Thanks,

Ashley

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi collegestudent21 and welcome to the forum! :D Feel free to ask you questions here on the forum.

What symptoms do you have? Did your GI suggest a course of treatment?

The effects the disease has on our daily life varies from person to person because we don't all have the same symptoms and don't follow the same treatment plan. During a flare the disease can affect our daily life a lot yet the disease can also go into periods of remission where you can lead nearly a normal life (I say nearly because many may be on medication to stay in remission).

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to our intestinal club! Everyone varies and there are some with mild crohn's symptoms who just watch what they eat, treat it naturally or via softer meds and then the other extreme of those in and out of surgeries and heavy duty meds. All of us lie along that continuum and you will find a range of experiences here. Do note though that many experience mild or severe symptoms go on to find the reverse occur later. The severity of symptoms can come and go, people can go into remission for long periods of time.

I suggest CCFA the largest crohn's organization as a primer on understanding the illness http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/

Stick with us and you will have support here and learn a lot.

Last edited:
Hi! I don't know how much this will help, but you might want to check this website out http://www.ibdu.org/. It is geared towards older teens, but has a lot of good tips about going to college and living like other young people while managing Crohn's disease. I found it to be helpful when I started my college education last year.