Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Robert Muhumuza of Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 PM
NameDr. Robert Muhumuza
AddressThe Digestive Group 8235 Ymca Plaza Dr Ste 100 Baton Rouge, LA 70810
 Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70810
 United States
WebsiteUnknown
Phone225-763-2403
BioBoard certified gastroenterologist working as a clinical instructor at LSU and concurrently runs a private practice. Graduated from Baylor College of Medicine and holds a MBA from the University of Houston . He is the founder of the SAS Foundation.

He is affiliated with Baton Rouge General Hospital, St. Elizabeth Physicians Hospital and Prevost Memorial, as well as having office locations in 3 area locations.
 View Directory Entry
11-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
BowelMeOver

We met Dr. Muhumuza via an emergency room visit, while under the care of another GI. We had just been diagnosed with UC in March, and by late April, we were still having bloody bowel movements and wound up in the ER needing blood transfusions and iv fluids.

Heather Harris, a nurse practitioner working with Dr. Muhumuza and The Digestive Group, was the first person to see us in the ER. She was so calm yet confident in her ability to get this mess under control, and was very patient and informative with all the questions we had. Sitting there at my husbands bedside, listening to her explain what was going on with my husbands colon and how they planned on treating him, I knew right then that we had just found our new doctor. And she wasn't even the doctor!

Dr. Muhumuza arrived about 30 minutes later, and had the same warm and inviting demeanor as Heather had. He had a way of explaining everything at our level, and we immediately had trust that he was going to take good care of us. I told him that I may not ever be able to pronounce his name, but if he didn't mind me calling him Dr. Bob, that we would love to be his new patients. It wasn't until much later, when he gave us his business card, that I realized his first name was actually Robert.

Our UC was never able to be put under control, even though we tried all the good medicines out there, and even during the following months of pain and misery, we still knew without a doubt that Dr. Muhumuza was doing everything in his power to make us better. We in fact wound up losing the colon altogether, at the doctors advice, and we don't for one minute regret our decision or feel that the doctor had failed us.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
3 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
5 / 5 Ease of accessibility
Contrast enema + flex scope 11-18-2013 = approved for reversal!
Reversal scheduled for December 19th. Egads!

Sometimes hope is the best medicine. Don't give up!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Robert Muhumuza of Baton Rouge, Louisiana