Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » My Update. (Sorry it's a long one)

11-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
My Update. (Sorry it's a long one)

When I was treated earlier this year my GI told me that he was more concerned with my passing blood than mucus. Also, mentioned that if I did end up in another flare that he'd be wanting me to come in for a colonoscopy since I had changed medical insurance this year and he hadn't done one on me before.

Well. For a few weeks now I've been on flare watch. But, have been treating it more like I am flaring. Been passing mostly mucus, sometimes only mucus and even have passed mucus along with gas a time or two. Thankfully, I haven't been seeing much blood. However, once in awhile I do see some in my stools and wipe it too. But, no dripping blood. But, think all that would happen is he'd ask to have me come in for an appointment & then a colonoscopy. Don't know if he'd find anything though since there isn't enough blood coming through me.

I'm working with a friend of mine at work though. He's the manager of the pharmacy and has been wonderful as far as support and helping with ideas. He's having me try some pepcid for a few days to see if it'll help any by reducing the acid. I've got 3 days off now, so will have more info by Friday. So, we'll see.

My main stress in my life right now is my grandparents. I'm the oldest grandchild on both sides. My last set (mom's parents) are going to assisted living. They are both losing their memories especially who their family are (names and all) & it's a bit stressful for me. We think that the next time we fly to Michigan will be for a funeral. Plus, work is getting pretty stressful preparing for the holidays too.

Needless to say, life's been a bit crazy here. But, taking a calm breath whenever I can.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
11-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I can relate to the situation with your grandparents. My remaining set of grandparents have lived in assisted living accommodation for a while, but just recently my grandma has been phoning us and saying things that make no sense, saying one thing and then ringing five minutes later to say the exact same thing, not realising she'd already said it, etc. It's very hard and very sad. Make the most of your time with them. However confused they seem at times, I feel that sometimes the "real" person comes through - they'll suddenly remember, or you'll hear something in what they're saying that makes you realise they're still with you.

As for the Crohn's symptoms - I believe blood is more concerning than mucus. Bleeding can lead to anaemia, and other problems. But bleeding isn't the only sign of inflammation and flaring. Even if you're not bleeding at all, you could still be quite unwell. So take care of yourself, have the colonoscopy if you're still getting symptoms, and keep trying to find the treatments that will work for you.
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Cross-stitch, I know we've already talked a lot about our respective grandparents' situations, so you know you have my support. Sending you a big virtual hug. I'm glad your grandparents are getting into assisted living, and I hope that helps them a lot. I hope you can see them at least once more before having to think about funerals, too.

You work in retail, correct? I can imagine the holidays must be quite stressful for you then! Hopefully the place you work isn't going to be one of those stores that opens at 6 PM on Thanksgiving - hopefully you can at least have that day to relax with family?

If you do end up needing a colonoscopy, I would hope it can find the source of the bleeding. For what it's worth, I have been passing just a little bit of blood here and there, and I didn't know if a scope would find the source of my bleeding either, but it did (internal hemorrhoids for me). So a scope could be definitely beneficial for you. Never fun, I know, but one of those necessary things we have to do. Anyway, hang in there and I hope this doesn't turn into a full-blown flare. Big hugs!
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys Sounds like this pair of grandparents might be moved from Michigan to Indiana. But, we'll see. It'll be a chore getting the 2 of them all moved. Plus, the aunt that's "helping them now" is enjoying my grandparents money and food because she and my uncle are in a hard spot money wise themselves. But, I won't get into that.

Yup, I work retail. Our store hasn't been doing well on sales and manager is pressing my person in charge at night to send someone home. But, we're so short handed anyway that she won't do that. They increased my amount of hours needed for my insurance too which doesn't help. Yeah, we open at 5am black friday. But, so far I don't go in till (I think) 6pm.

Being a good girl and watching this flare. Know to contact the doctor if need be. Will keep you guys updated too. Sending hugs your way too.
11-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Gotta love the winter! Yesterday, while my husband was mowing the yard we think a rock got kicked up and hit our sliding glass door in our dining room. The whole left side of the outside glass shattered!!! Needless to say, we replaced a glass door today! By the way, it was around 40F degrees while the area was being worked on and the hole wasn't covered.

Plus, on tuesday my husband began this wonderful cold virus going around. This morning I woke up and am coming down with it. Oh the joys of cold weather!
11-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Aw, feel better soon, Cross-stitch! I had a cold a couple weeks ago, there are definitely a lot of viruses starting to go around. My cold only lasted a few days though fortunately so hopefully your cold will also go away quickly. And yikes about the shattering glass, I'm glad nobody was hurt! I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving and that you survive Black Friday okay.
11-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Thanks Cat Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving too!

Was all excited. No blood tue, wed or thur!!! But, today I got blood with bm's and almost couldn't get off the toilet. Husband passed it off as part of this cold. But. At lunch I was hungry and when I started eating I started having stomach pain and a little pain afterwards. Thankfully not doubling over type, but still not feel good pain. So, I don't know...
11-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Yay me!!!! I started bleeding (dripping blood) from the backside yesterday (thanksgiving). Then, today (friday) I started from the front side. So, now I've had blood from both ends and cramps to match! One of the ladies from my pharmacy were trying to comfort me on what I'm going through medical wise. Told them that I've got to laugh about it, can't do much about it. It's better than crying!

Survived Black Friday and all the crazy stuff with it. By the time I started work at 6pm the store had calmed down a bit. It was steady customer wise, the store was so messed up from the morning's activities that we weren't able to get it cleaned up and ended up leaving it to come home. At least, I can say that I'm home safe!
12-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Still getting occasional blood from the backside. Thankfully majority of the time it's not dripping. However, I'm doing a midshift at work 2 days a week now and closing 2 nights a week. Today I started work at 11am and didn't have lunch till 2pm. I think I waited too long to eat, because by the time I ate lunch I was just sick. Couldn't even eat my normal amount of food because of it. Then, afterwards I had stomach pain till after 6pm when I was able to go home.

Had some cream of chicken soup that seemed easy on the tummy and then laid down. When I got up a little bit ago, had some pumpkin pie and now I've got nausea. Can't win for loosing. Hopefully things will start settling down soon.

I guess the hardest thing for me today was when I admitted to being in pain to a fellow employee. She told me to, "Suck it up" because her dad had supposedly had really bad hip pain and worked through it. Sad part is that this same person has gone through 2 miscarrages and called in sick for morning sickness and the days after she miscarried. I've been sent home before because of being in too much pain, but haven't called in sick once for my IBD. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy hearing that.

Last edited by Cross-stitch gal; 12-08-2013 at 01:52 AM.
12-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Cross-stitch, I feel really ill if I wait too long to eat, too. I'm not sure why that is - you'd think guts that are angry would be okay without food going through them for a little while! Oh well. Sounds like you're in a flare? Are you only on Pentasa & Canasa like your sig says? Is a pred taper possible just to get you feeling better?

How are your grandparents doing? Mine are not great. My grandmother's memory issues are going downhill at a rather alarming rate - my grandpa is still all there mentally but he's still declining physically. So between the two of them they have one working brain and one working body! Anyway, I hope your grandparents are okay and are adjusting to their new place okay?
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Cross stitch I'm not sure why I'm just now seeing this thread. I'm sorry to hear about everything that's going on. Have you scheduled a scope yet since your bleeding? I hope you can get this flare under control quickly.
Big
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Yes, I'm only on Canasa & Pentasa. Usually when I do the 2 Canasa a day my symptoms go down and I'm ok. But, this time it didn't seem to do much at all for me and just seemed like a waste of time. So, we decreased it back to 1 a day. New doctor doesn't like Pred at all. So, not sure if he'd even want me messing with the stuff.

Admit to being stubborn. I know if I send him an email, #1 he'll want me to come in for a visit, #2 he'll be wanting to schedule me for a colonoscopy & #3 he'll more than likely tell me that my meds don't seem to be working for me anymore. I guess, in some ways I'm hoping to make it into the new year before having to go in for another scope. However, since saturday I seem to be in pain and have nausea more often especially when hungry or after eating. Not dripping blood though which is a good thing.

Haven't heard a whole lot on the grandparents lately. They got moved from MI to IN the day after Thanksgiving. It was quite the ordeal getting them moved and such. They still have some things that still need to be done to get them all set up in the new place. Both of their minds seem to be not as sharp and both seem to be going downhill quickly. Grandpa won't be cleared to drive anymore, he knows that and is angry about that. He's getting pretty angry easily and that's never been in his nature. This is what scares me.

Other grandpa is living on his own again. However, one time when he was doing his knee therapy the guy left him alone and he screwed up his knee again. It's so bad he's in pain again and might need surgery again. But, we're not sure he's well enough to have another surgery. He too wants to be cleared to drive and be independent. But, I'm sure that's not going to happen either.

Sorry about your granparents Cat. I sure know about the worries. Got a lot to worry about with home life & work right now. You'd think it'd eventually all start getting better...

Last edited by Cross-stitch gal; 12-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » My Update. (Sorry it's a long one)