Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery in two days-nervous!

12-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
YJ120

Hi Ki,

Glad you're home and getting used to Lily! Good for you! I hope you manage to recover quickly, in the meantime enjoy everyone running round and helping you

I'm in for my resection next Weds and thanks to some of your inspiration I'm coming round to the fact that I might end up with a temporary bag too! Thanks for that.

Yvette

MRI showed stricture on 24/09/13. TI resection done on 11/12/13
More tests colonoscopy on 28/3/14
12-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
Ki3

My Support Groups:
Thank you,

I'm glad I could help! Its really not that bad, on Saturday I was in a real panic I thought I would never get the hang of it but most stoma nurses are very nice and helpful and I'm sure if you have to have a stoma you will get used to it. Most people develop a friendship haha but one nurse told me someone "fell out" with the stoma and gave it a rude name when it was misbehaving but then they made up.

I'm pretty sure you wont need one, I was unlucky because I had a big abscess they didn't realise I had, so instead of a normal resection, they had to cut out the abscess and the stricture and my appendix so mine wasn't a normal operation, and I hope you are stoma free as I know you really don't want one.

Its kinda funny as at the moment Lily is passing lots of wind, so sometimes I look down to find an air bag in my leggings haha! The farts are so weird, you can't feel them coming like a normal fart, and sometimes if I'm lying flat when she farts it all bubbles as there is liquid in there haha! Its kinda smelly at the moment but apparently you can light a match and it goes or I have some stoma fragrance sprays I can use, but the smell only bothers me, no one else can smell it.
12-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
YJ120

Lol lol that made me laugh both about someone falling out with their stoma and about Lily with the wind!

Oh no about the abscess! At least it's all out now

Thanks again Ki
12-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
Ki3

My Support Groups:
Hah yeah lily is funny, she farts at inappropriate times, but she is funny. Looks like a strawberry just a warning for you, don't laugh after your op, boy is it painful.

I had to take deep breaths through TV shows last night, trying to hold back, so typing "hahaha" is as close as I'm getting lol

Thanks for the kind words, hope your op goes well
12-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Hi ki, I'm so happy to see that you are home and doing so well and it's good to see that you and Lily are getting along well . I remember coughing and moving quickly being painful for me too, and laughing or sneezing, but that will get better with time. You may have been told this, but don't get out of bed without using your arms for at least 12 weeks , and no lifting and bending for 6-8.

Keep that positive attitude and recover at your own pace , enjoy being pampered for a while

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
Ki3

My Support Groups:
Thank you, I'm enjoying being home and I'm not exactly getting out of bed at all haha, someone has to pull me up to a sitting position from my bed as I can't lol.

Me and Lily seem to get along, I've insulted her a few times as she annoys me but she knows theres no hard feelings. She is just farting so much right now haha.
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
So glad to hear you're getting the hang of things.
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #38
YJ120

Haha Ki, hope lily stops farting soon. Ha

Thanks about laughing, I will remember about that!
12-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
grt73

My Support Groups:
Hi ki, it will get better i promise! I'm a year in from my surgery now and although I still have the bag I am pretty much back to normal.
They do leak from time to time and hell it can burn. I have only ever used one piece bags and have found that if I put stoma adhesive directly on the skin around the stoma it sticks well and protects your skin from the acid. Touch wood it hasn't leaked badly for a few weeks. I tried different seals and flanges first and none have been as successful. I change every day now and that also helps. When I was recovering and just lounging around I managed 6 days without a change. The stoma nurse said it was a record lol.
Get well and good luck with your recovery!
12-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #40
Ki3

My Support Groups:
Thank you all,

Just had my first scary stoma experience, nope nothing went horribly wrong, don't worry. I went and emptied my bag, and saw, actual pieces of bacon. No joke. I obviously needed to chew it more but I never expected that. I thought id see little chunks of food and maybe with veg, bigger chunks but like it was 6 full cm of bacon, whole. I thought stomachs were meant to blend food! It scared me omg!

To be honest, at the moment I'm laughing as its hilarious but wow just an unexpected scare. Ha ha.
12-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #41
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thank you all,

Just had my first scary stoma experience, nope nothing went horribly wrong, don't worry. I went and emptied my bag, and saw, actual pieces of bacon. No joke. I obviously needed to chew it more but I never expected that. I thought id see little chunks of food and maybe with veg, bigger chunks but like it was 6 full cm of bacon, whole. I thought stomachs were meant to blend food! It scared me omg!

To be honest, at the moment I'm laughing as its hilarious but wow just an unexpected scare. Ha ha.
I don't think I've managed to identify any food coming through my stoma yet, but I've been very careful with eating. I've actually tried a lot of the foods listed as possible blockage causers, but I've blended and chewed everything down to minute pieces.
12-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #42
Ki3

My Support Groups:
I thought I was chewing pretty well ha ha! I know I forget sometimes because I'm not used to chewing so much but I have a very sensitive gag reflex and I never thought I could swallow like 7cm of bacon without gagging, but apparently I can! I'm going to be blending my bacon soon ha ha!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery in two days-nervous!