Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Testing foods with a new ileostomy

01-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #61
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
One small, peeled apple (no skin at all) set me off cramping after eating again (not after eating the apple, but later when eating triggered the stoma to start working, exactly as it happened before). I guess I really am just going to be living off bananas.
01-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #62
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I found that cooked/stewed apples were good for me when I had my Stoma, they also seriously thickened up my output!
It can be really hit and miss, I decided to get myself a latte one evening and thought I'd broken myself, my bag filled up with liquid output so quickly about 10 times that night!

You'll find something that agrees with you, just keep it simple.

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
01-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #63
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I found that cooked/stewed apples were good for me when I had my Stoma, they also seriously thickened up my output!
It can be really hit and miss, I decided to get myself a latte one evening and thought I'd broken myself, my bag filled up with liquid output so quickly about 10 times that night!

You'll find something that agrees with you, just keep it simple.
Thanks, yes I've had stewed apples and apple sauce with no problems. I was just missing the crunch of raw apples, pears, salad, etc. But it's just not worth it when even a tiny amount seems to send my stomach cramping.
01-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #64
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Ah yeah, I know what you mean about missing that crunch of fresh food. It's definitely not worth the pain though!

01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #65
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
One small, peeled apple (no skin at all) set me off cramping after eating again (not after eating the apple, but later when eating triggered the stoma to start working, exactly as it happened before). I guess I really am just going to be living off bananas.
Does this happen only with apples? Does it happen with other peeled hard fruits (like pears or peaches). Did you have problems with apples before your ostomy?

https://www.veganostomy.ca
https://www.youtube.com/user/Veganostomy/
https://www.facebook.com/Veganostomy
https://www.twitter.com/VeganOstomy

01-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #66
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Does this happen only with apples? Does it happen with other peeled hard fruits (like pears or peaches). Did you have problems with apples before your ostomy?
At first I was eating well-cooked veg without problems, but as soon as I increased from more than about one small portion every few days, I got the major problems I described earlier in the thread. Since then, I've done alright with tiny portions of very well-cooked veg, e.g. broccoli, as long as I then don't have anything else fibrous for a few days. I had tried grapes, and although they didn't give me the same severity of symptoms that I got with the blockage, they did give me a stomach ache (usually I don't get any pain with Crohn's, so this was abnormal for me). I had had a small peeled apple once before without problems, but eating fruits with no cramps seems to be the exception for me rather than the norm.

Before the ostomy I had a lot of problems with fibre. It wouldn't cause me pain, but a lot of discomfort and increased diarrhoea. I could manage more fibre pre-ostomy though; I could eat maybe a couple of small pieces of fruit (including fruit skins, pips, etc.) and veg (including salad, beans and other harder-to-digest veg), or maybe a small portion of wholegrain bread with no noticeable problems. But much more than that - especially nuts and seeds - and I'd be uncomfortable with worse diarrhoea than normal.
01-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #67
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
At first I was eating well-cooked veg without problems, but as soon as I increased from more than about one small portion every few days, I got the major problems I described earlier in the thread. Since then, I've done alright with tiny portions of very well-cooked veg, e.g. broccoli, as long as I then don't have anything else fibrous for a few days. I had tried grapes, and although they didn't give me the same severity of symptoms that I got with the blockage, they did give me a stomach ache (usually I don't get any pain with Crohn's, so this was abnormal for me). I had had a small peeled apple once before without problems, but eating fruits with no cramps seems to be the exception for me rather than the norm.

Before the ostomy I had a lot of problems with fibre. It wouldn't cause me pain, but a lot of discomfort and increased diarrhoea. I could manage more fibre pre-ostomy though; I could eat maybe a couple of small pieces of fruit (including fruit skins, pips, etc.) and veg (including salad, beans and other harder-to-digest veg), or maybe a small portion of wholegrain bread with no noticeable problems. But much more than that - especially nuts and seeds - and I'd be uncomfortable with worse diarrhoea than normal.
I can understand how frustrating that must be.

What foods are working for you then? Perhaps it's not a fiber issue, but something else, like fructose in fruit or something else along those lines. If you compare what works to what doesn't, do you notices any similarities/differences?
01-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #68
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I can understand how frustrating that must be.

What foods are working for you then? Perhaps it's not a fiber issue, but something else, like fructose in fruit or something else along those lines. If you compare what works to what doesn't, do you notices any similarities/differences?
Besides the fibre I seem fine with pretty much anything. I can have fizzy drinks, which I was told might cause gas, with no problem. My diet is pretty much the same as before the ileostomy - I eat very small snacks every couple of hours rather than big meals (feeling too full is a major problem for me, and that was the case pre-ostomy too).

My family does a lot of cooking at home, so I have one home-made meal a day - e.g. home-made pizza (though without the peppers and other toppings I'd have had before), rice, shepherd's/cottage pie, roast dinner, pasta. I'd have a small portion of veg with each meal. The only meals the family have that I don't eat are spicy things - that's because I just don't like the taste, so I've never tested whether spicy things upset me. I snack on a lot of junk food - chocolate, ice cream, biscuits, some healthier things - home-made bread, yoghurts, bananas, tinned fruit, crackers. Before the ileostomy it would have been fresh apples, pears and other fruits instead of tinned, and I would have had things like raw tomatoes and cucumber where now I just have very well-cooked veg like carrots. Low-fibre cereals for breakfast. I don't like tea or coffee or alcohol, but drink a lot of milk, fruit juice, coke, lemonade. I don't like anything too rich or stodgy.

I realise whilst typing this that besides the fruit and veg, I haven't tried any fibrous foods since the ileostomy. I'm so used to choosing white bread, white rice, low-fibre breakfast cereals since that's what suited me pre-ostomy, and since I am quite happy eating the low-fibre options and can easily go without nuts, seeds, dried fruits, I just haven't tested any out. With fresh fruit and veg, there are so few low-fibre options, so that's what I've been trying out.

So could it be the fructose? I seem to do fine with a banana a day, fruit juice and tinned fruit - unless these are low in fructose? It seems to me more likely the fibre's the problem, especially since that's the only issue I'd identified in all my years of being ill pre-ostomy, and I'm not sure testing out whole-grain bread or nuts or something would be a good idea?

Last edited by UnXmas; 01-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #69
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
Besides the fibre I seem fine with pretty much anything.

I realise whilst typing this that besides the fruit and veg, I haven't tried any fibrous foods since the ileostomy. I'm so used to choosing white bread, white rice, low-fibre breakfast cereals since that's what suited me pre-ostomy, and since I am quite happy eating the low-fibre options and can easily go without nuts, seeds, dried fruits, I just haven't tested any out. With fresh fruit and veg, there are so few low-fibre options, so that's what I've been trying out.

So could it be the fructose? I seem to do fine with a banana a day, fruit juice and tinned fruit - unless these are low in fructose? It seems to me more likely the fibre's the problem, especially since that's the only issue I'd identified in all my years of being ill pre-ostomy, and I'm not sure testing out whole-grain bread or nuts or something would be a good idea?
Isn't it ironic that the least healthful foods are the ones that cause the least number of problems with IBD? Considering you can drink cola (which is often made with high-fructose corn syrup) without a problem, I doubt it's the fructose in fruit which causes the problem.

If you do try higher-fiber non-fruits/veg, keep note which (if any) cause you problems.

Have you ever been tested for food allergies? It may be a long-shot, but perhaps something in those specific foods are triggering something unrelated to fiber.
01-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #70
annawato

My Support Groups:
Its obviously different for everyone but I found that foods that gave me problems when I first got my ileo don't now. I think over time the bowel adapts and you may find that in the future you can eat foods that are now causing you problems. Could you be lactose intolerant? just a thought since the latte caused problems. i also have found that I have problems more if I eat a lot of fibre in one go rather than a little several times a day. good luck with it all, I can understand how frustrating it is for you, and scary too since you don't know what is causing the problem.
anna

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
01-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #71
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I have no food allergies, and dairy is and has always been a very safe food for me. I did try going dairy-free a while ago and found no benefits, and have tested negative for lactose intolerance and coeliac.
01-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #72
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

It was me who had problems after drinking a latte :-) I'm ok with dairy since I've had my Stoma reversed, which is weird.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Testing foods with a new ileostomy