• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help - Bleeding

Question for all
Quick question I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's, I am waiting for MRI and other tests to find fistulas, I have 5 open around my rectum, this am I had a bm and now there is lots of blood on the gauze I use in my bum crack, is this part of Crohn's? Should I go to emerge? I'm really scared

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Is the blood something new or have you had it before? If it was only on the gauze I would be giving a call to my doctors' office to let them know things have changed. If it is active bleeding (not slowing down, running, getting worse) - I would probably go to the ER to get checked.

Fissures and fistulas can cause bleeding, it is important to catch things before they get too bad. I personally have on-again, off-again spots of blood from old scar tissue in the bum crack - especially if I wipe too hard. BUT - I know what 'normal' is for me, and if it was anything other I'd be calling my GI.

I was only diagnose 2 days ago my gp isn't really active in this diagnosis and I dot have a GI yet waiting for an appointment . The blood has ne'er happened this severe before could one have ruptured? I think ill go to emerge even of its just to ease my mind thank you

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Sarahann
Sorry you are having a bad time.
It would be a good idea to get checked out at the ER.
Bleeding is not a normal event, and it can be difficult to estimate the amount of blood loss., and where it is coming from.
Sometimes it can seem a lot---it needs professional advice.
feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I hope you went to the hospital Sarahann. You know your body best and generally if you're wondering if you should go, then you should go. Let us know how you're doing once you're able. :ghug:

Well I went to emerge last night I'm here still
Was admitted last night and they have kept me to do tests and what not which is good because I had these tests booked for months from now got to see a GI who has taken me on as a patient so don't have to wait for the one my dr referred me to to call me. Feeling good they have me on hydrocortisone ? And flagyl? The blood was from a fistula not from my rectum which is also good the dr says thanks for being there :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That's awesome that you got a GI on the spot. :D I think that's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. Hope they get everything sorted soon so you can go into remission soon! Keep us posted and thank you for the update.

I hate hospitals they pretty much kept me for 5 days then sent me home with nothing no prescription no diet nothing so i guess it's back to the waiting game for me :( depression has set in ( I already had depression before all this) feel like my life is just one problem after another

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry Sarahann. :( Are your symptoms any better, same or worse? Do you have an appointment set up with a GI now?

Thank you for having a listening ear. I do have an appointment with a GI but it's not until January :( Im not bleeding anymore but the bloating and cramps are worse probably from eating solid foods again since they only had me on liquids in hospital

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Glad to hear that you no longer have the blood! Hopefully the rest will start settling down, even if it goes away slowly. Thanks for keeping us updated. :hug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Take the foods slowly. I'm also glad the blood has stopped and will hopefully stay that way. Is it possible to get on the cancellation list with the GI in case someone else cancels their appointment?

Ya I'm praying someone cancels lol I was wondering if maybe having ensure or something for lunch while I'm at work at least would be a good option to help reduce the bloating and bathroom trips while there? Sorry this is all new to me

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It should help and you could also make your own soups as well. If you have a narrowing then a softer diet definitely helps. I stick to the low residue diet during a flare but if that causes too many symptoms then I switch to a liquid diet for a few days (have to make sure you're drinking a lot and still getting enough nutrients).