• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quick Hello

Hello all. I was Dx in Oct with Crohns. Whole thing started in Feb with what my reg dr thought was hemoroids <sp>. 2 weeks into treatment and nothing getting better, just worse, she recommended a GI at a the Cleveland Clinic of Florida. Well I had been standing in show for my BM screaming in pain so wife and I finally got into see the GI and her surgeon partner. Within 5 minutes of being there the onocology surgeon was on phone with Director of Surgery to get me in then. To make it semi short I ended up with 3 surgery's in 5 days. One of them place an Ilistomy bag on me. Thru many trials and errors, with 4 teams of drs. they finally ruled it as Crohns and put me on Prednizone. I"m still on that at the moment. I lost my job so we lost our insurance in Dec. Up till bout 2 weeks ago < Obama's Cobra part of the bill saved me> I had not seen a Dr. Been going thru a minor flareup lately but did get to dr and get blood tests going. She is weaning down the steriods..25mg now, and going to put me on imurine. I still have the stomy bag which in a way is a blessing. I have applied for SSDI because there is no way I can work under these conditions. If that comes thru I have as much as 32 months insurance and if not I have only 9 months to get to point of semi health. I love to cook and eat so this thing is real kicker for me. Some weeks I get feeling better and can wear regualar underware..other weeks its Depends. LOL funny thing is me and my grand daughter both heading down hall way saying poo..gotta poo. LOL. Glad I found this site. Looks like good group of people just dealt a poor hand of card and making the best of things.
Thanks for listening. Much more to i than just this but i'm time limited at the moment.
Mike

Welcome, unfortunately. Though you are in the right place. Plenty to learn here and good people to get along with.

Most of us here are all too familiar with the battle to stay employed, keep health insurance, and away from the brink of financial destruction. Not too many crohn's patients have had much luck in getting disability status but good luck. You never know until you try. There are a few here I think who have.

"Normal" is not what I would describe my life. But I have been through 3 surgeries since I was diagnosed in 2003 and I have done a lot since then also and enjoyed many aspects of life. It may take time, but I hope you find a medicine and food regiment that brings you closer to health and a good life.

hey mike & welcome to the forum!
i too have an ileosotmy- brand spankin new as of 2 weeks ago! mine was a planned surgery though, as the meds were just not working and my colon is pretty busted up. hoping that the break will let it heal up.

glad you found the site and keep posting!

hi michaelw, welcome to our happy little corner of the internet world.

i hear what you are saying about food... i love cooking (and EATING, esp on this prednisone!), i work as a sous chef and i've been off work for 6 weeks now... i miss it so much, i can't wait to go back! i know there are certain foods that bring on symptoms, and it's just so hard to resist everything! grrrrr...

anyways, sorry to hear you had a rough go of it... here's to a speedy recovery. nice to see you still have a sense of humor... (("Some weeks I get feeling better and can wear regualar underware..other weeks its Depends."))