• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad teeth??

I have been told by two dentists that I need to have all of my teeth removed and replaced somehow. I think that the dental problems probably relate to either Crohn's and/or the awful medications. I can get help with the cost if it is Crohn's related. Wondering if anyone else has dental problems?
Thanks!

nogutsnoglory

I'd get more opinions because you always want to try to keep your original teeth. Once you start with artificial teeth you have a road of problems ahead of you in terms of replacement, adjustments and upkeep.

I have dental problems and my dentist said my weak enamel is due to the crohn's and Osteoperosis. He is considering putting me on a high fluoride prescription toothpaste.

My dentist said us chronies have a problem with too much bacteria - part because if crohn's and dry mouth. The dry mouth makes the bacteria thrive. There is prescription toothpaste - there are also dry mouth toothpaste and mouthwash that might help. Dry mouth can cause tooth decay, cavities, etc.

peace to you

Last edited:

SarahBear

Yup, I have bad teeth as well (oddly enough, I was just talking about it). Absorption issues and vitamin deficiencies caused by Crohn's definitely play a role. In my case, genetics definitely add to the problem as well - neither of my parents have good teeth, and my mother has already had all of hers replaced.

Ironically enough, I just moved and finally was able to see my new dentist on Wednesday. Apparently my teeth are in bad shape and he prescribed me the high fluoride toothpaste (which I am just about to head out to go fill). Last year I went to the dentist after going 4 years without any check-ups. During those 4 years, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, so I probably should have been going to the dentist after that, even though I was very diligent about brushing and flossing daily.

Well, last year when I finally went to the dentist, he found 4 cavities and 2 of them I ended up having to get root canals and crowns put on because I had a lot of sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures afterward plus couldn't even chew on one of the teeth that was worked on.

This past Wednesday, new dentist pointed out at least 4 different places where 2 teeth meet that are close to being called cavities, but he said for now he would keep an eye on them but wanted me on the Rx toothpaste (Prevident 5000, in case anyone is curious). I think I also have a problem with bruxism and the hygenist told me that there are many areas in my teeth where I've actually grinded through to the 2nd layer of enamel! I wonder if it's as bad as it is because of malabsorption rather than the extent of the bruxism, though when I asked my dentist if he thought my weak enamel problems and tooth decay could be attributed to malabsorption due to my Crohn's (especially being located in the terminal ileum, which is where lots of important vitamins are absorbed), he didn't seem to think so. Based on his response, I sort of get the impression he doesn't know much about the disease. I feel I've read enough on here and researched things to know that those things are most definitely linked.

Anyway...not happy about the high fluoride toothpaste as I have been trying to limit the amount of chemicals I put in my body, but I am at least willing to try it for the next 6 months until my next check-up and hopefully it will remineralize my enamel enough so I won't have to get more cavities filled. I've read some claims about natural ways to remineralize teeth with homemade concoctions of coconut oil, betonite clay, calcium, but I'll have to keep researching and would most likely try that after the dentist gives my teeth a good bill of health.

For what it's worth...I have a couple friends with Crohn's who used the high fluoride toothpaste with much success, so that is encouraging!

Last few years have been hard on my teeth as well. I have been prednisone dependent for 16 years and it is starting to take its toll. I have gone on a high fluoride toothpaste

PsychoJane

Marisa, you may want to look at a compound called Theobromine which is extracted from cocoa. It would apparently be great if not even better than fluoride to remineralize teeth. There are a few open access paper on the web about it but I have not dug deeply yet. Still, I might consider the switch myself as I avoid regular fluoride toothpaste but would appreciate its benefits.

PsychoJane

We have to be very careful at claiming something is toxic as everything pretty much is.

As Paracelsus sais: “All things are poisons, for there is nothing without poisonous qualities. It is only the dose which makes a thing poison.”

Let's just face the fact you can eat too much chocolate and reach the lethal toxicity... but you are more likely to cause your liver to go crazy from the fat before reaching that point.

That being said, even though I don't know of the concentration that are present in theodent, I would highly doubt there would be a risk to brush your teeth with it.

Last edited:
Thank All of you for responding to this post. I now have a few more ideas to consider. I took lots of lomotil for over 20 years and I remember having really bad cotton mouth often. I am guessing that is most likely the most obvious offender.

Interesting! Thanks PsychoJane for the suggestion. I saw an article on Dr. Mercola's website as well in favor of theobromine. So, I may have to check that out. :) Though i can't decide if I want to at least wait until my next dental check up (in June) to see if the high fluoride toothpaste improved anything before making the switch. That, and I want to have some sort of baseline so I know if things improve whether it was related to the fluoride or theobromine toothpaste. If anyone decides to try it out let us know what you think! I'm very interested to know.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/19/chocolate-vs-fluoride-toothpaste.aspx

I ended up with deep abraisions (not deep enough to be called a cavity but close) on a lot of teeth on both the upper and lower jaw as well as both sides. The dentist filled them so they wouldn't become cavaties. My teeth are also incredibly sensitive. I am using Fluoridex, (1.1% sodium Fluoride 5000 ppm with 5% potassium nitrate toothpaste), and find it very helpful. I alternate it with Tom's of Main, Antiplaque & Whitening, peppermint tooth paste. It is flouride-free and natural. Eating or drinking foods that have a high acid level can cause the sensitivity issues.

I forgot to mention that I just spit out the toothpaste and do not rinse out my mouth with either toothpaste. I wait 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything. The fluoride tooth paste makes your mouth water, so you may need to spit out a couple of times as the the saliva build in your mouth. You do not want to swallow the high fluoride toothpaste.

Let us know how you are doing.

Blessings!:ghug:

I have gum disease and have lost teeth recently due to gum and bone recession. The problems are never ending and I fear I may eventually lose all my teeth. I am 46 and feel too young for this to happen. Its depressing!

Regular cleaning and check ups are the key to preserving teeth.

I have also noticed my teeth getting bad. I have had to have 6 fillings and am going in for a root canal tomorrow. When I mentioned my Crohn's to my dentist she went off about this story she had seen about going gluten free curing Crohn's... so I just kind of left it alone.

My 9 yo son has CD and it is a constant battle to keep the plaque off his teeth. I know this can be a problem with kids/poor cleaning, but I swear I am as "anal" as I can be about keeping his teeth clean. I asked his dentist if it could be an issue with too little "good" bacteria in his mouth as he is on an immunosuppressant, but she wasn't sure. I give my other son the same dental care and he has a brilliant, white smile! Maybe I don't have to blame myself so much, but good grief, where do all these Crohn's related issues end?!

CrohnsKidMom, have you considered getting your son a sonic toothbrush? We had trouble getting my son (10 years old) to brush his teeth the correct amount of time, and since I use a sonic toothbrush we got him one. It beeps after 2 minutes, telling him he's brushed enough.

You might wanna read up on fluoride before getting on a HIGH fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride might have caused some of you to get Crohn's. It's a toxic waste, people!