• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed and needing support

Hi All,
I was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I have been terribly down and depressed since. I am especially upset about having to be on such a strict eating plan with so many foods that were part of my regular day to day eating eliminated. It's not so bad when I am home, but I haven't figured out how to go out with friends and be social when I find it so hard to find foods I can eat at restaurants. Going to a friend's for a meal is proving difficult because I feel badly telling them I can only eat such and such and guilty that they should have to prepare a meal around my dietary needs.
I am wondering first off how you deal with the depression. I had been on antidepressants and anti anxiety medications prior to my diagnosis for PTSD due to a trauma I experienced. I am sure they contribute to the colitis and flareups. Right now even with the medications I am depressed, unmotivated, isolating myself and unhappy.
How do you deal with eating out? Do you bring your own food when you meet with friends a restaurant or at a friend's house? I guess the issue for me with that is that it makes me feel like an outsider who can't participate in the pleasures of eating.
How long did it take any of you to adjust to eating differently? I'm not a cook, but I did just get two cookbooks that have recipes for things I can eat.
I know I probably sound like I am feeling sorry for myself and I guess right now I am. I would like to know how others deal with and dealt with learning they have an IBD that affects their life so intensely.
I so miss finding pleasure in food and eating and that just adds to my depression.
Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
Thank you.
FrannyLA

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Franny!

I'm not familiar with antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications having any negative impact on IBD. In fact, I thought it was the opposite, if only because it would minimize your stress levels. However, I don't have much experience in that department. Hopefully someone who does will come along with a better answer. :)

Eating out can be very difficult. For now, it might be easier for you to bring your own food, especially to friends houses. After seeing how you eat for a while, it may be easier for them to provide food for you. Do you have a good understanding of what foods upset your stomach? If not, try a food journal - be as detailed as possible in recording everything you eat and every symptom you experience. Doing so greatly helps make connections between the foods and the symptoms. If you already have a good understanding of what is okay for you to eat, you can ask if something could be prepared specially for you at restaurants. Usually, they don't mind leaving off seasonings or making other accommodations.

You don't sound as if you're feeling sorry for yourself at all. You sound as if you're trying to figure out how to make the best of your situation. :)

Also, we have a Microscopic Colitis section in the General IBD Discussion forum. You can find it here: Microscopic Colitis.

I hope things get better for you soon! :hug:

For many it's a hard thing to process that they have an incurable disease. Learning to navigate it or trying to is hard, but a positive step. I wish I knew the answers to your questions but safe foods seem to be different for each of us. The ones many seem to agree on aren't always the most healthy (ie white processed bread or white potato dishes).

The food journal should be helpful. I tend to be able to process soups when eating out, even if just in taking the liquid and leaving the solids in the bowl. It also seems to appease dining companions more so than not having a dish in front of you. As far as at others houses, I agree it's probably easier bringing your own until everyone has a better understanding of your safe or allowed foods.

It's great that you've found the forum and I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Thank you SarahBeat and Shiny for your kind and nurturing responses to my post. I so appreciate you both.
Warmly,
FrannyLA

Download b the GI Monitor. It's free and is a great way to monitor your food, bms, and pain. I don't have the link but if you Google it, the link will pop up.

Louann Carroll
www.louanncarroll.com
Crohn's survivor and advocate
Trying the natural method that's not working so well right now. I DO NOT recommend this to anyone.