Share Facebook

12-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Kat24

Mince pies

I had ileostomy surgery 2 and a half weeks ago and I'm dying to eat a mince pie (or 6!) am I allowed to??
Kat
12-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I had to look that up because I had never heard of it. I'd eat very bland and low fiber for 4-6 weeks after surgery. After that period try one new food at a time to see how you adjust.

Right now your body is healing and adjusting and fruit, veg, whole grains, nuts and spices can irritate and at worst cause obstruction.
12-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Hmm, I'm not too familiar with mince either but I would say from the recipe I saw that it might be a bit early for it. It looks like there are bunch of dry fruits in there and these can be rather tricky to deal with at first. The only way I could see it being "safe" in very small portion was if you would make your own preparation and that you would blend these fruit into some sort of jam like a date square like preparation texture. Otherwise I would not risk it that early in the process.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
12-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You've never heard of mince pies???
They are very rich but yummy.
Yes I agree, might be early to try some.
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
12-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
bigtruck

Go ahead but chew well, remember a little of what you fancy won't do you any harm.
12-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
At 2-1/2 weeks, your stoma is still swollen and your body is trying to adjust. Maybe a VERY little and chew it up really REALLY good. The dried fruit could swell up near the stoma and possibly cause an obstruction with your stoma being so new. If I were you, I wouldn't chance it, though.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I agree with everyone else...try a little bit, and chew it really well - I mean, once you think you have it chewed really well, chew it more. Just to be safe.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

12-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Kat24

Thanks everyone I might wait til Christmas just to be on the safe side.also because I know I won't be able to just have a little bit haha
12-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Axelfl3333

Just scoff one,you,ve given me the notion our local baker makes great mince pies.
12-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
ellie

My Support Groups:
My approach to anything that I'd really like but am uncertain about is to have a taste... A nibble or two and see how it goes - if everything is fine tomorrow, have a whole one, and enjoy!!

HD
12-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Just scoff one,you,ve given me the notion our local baker makes great mince pies.
I hope you are trying to be funny. You should never scoff anything with a new stoma.
12-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
rygon

My Support Groups:
I would suggest making your own (river cottage has a great recipe) so you know what is in it and if you can eat it all. As others have said, try a bit way before xmas so you can see if its ok (and if not it wont spoil xmas day)
12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Mince pies must be a British thing - I read these replies thinking who on earth hasn't heard of mince pies?!

I had my surgery six weeks ago, and am just starting on some of the foods known to risk blockages. I was wondering about mince pies too - but they are full of dried fruits. I think it would be quite a big risk.
12-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
grt73

My Support Groups:
Mmmmmm mince pies, I have been thinking about them too! Don't know if I dare tho, it's the raisins and dried fruit thing, I may try and make some but blitz the mincemeat first. If that fails I'm gonna make a mince pie and Xmas pud smoothie
12-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
At least we should be alright with brandy butter and Christmas chocolates? And I seem to be ok with sprouts - once they've been through the blender anyway. So my Christmas dinner will be alright, it will just look like mush.

And I agree with 2thFairy, it's not like you just risk making yourself feel bad - some people might feel an increase in symptoms is worth paying for enjoying food, which is their choice, but risking a blockage where you don't just feel bad but are risking serious health complications is another matter.
12-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
grt73

My Support Groups:
Mmmmmm mince pies, I have been thinking about them too! Don't know if I dare tho, it's the raisins and dried fruit thing, I may try and make some but blitz the mincemeat first. If that fails I'm gonna make a mince pie and Xmas pud smoothie
12-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Maybe we should go back to the original when mince pies were made of actual meat? More meat and less dried fruit?

For dessert, I guess chocolate yule log would be a good stoma-friendly alternative to Christmas pudding.
12-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Kat24

Mince pie smoothie haha may get my husband to make me some as he is a much better cook than me (don't anyone tell him I said that lol)