Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What do you think 'caused' your Crohn's?

05-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #31
ryan_jordan

I was on a camping trip and got really sick (fever, D). At the time I thought it was from eating bad meat or drinking water that wasn't purified. When I came back to town I got flagyl for 7 days, which only worked during the course of the antibiotics. Afterwards I took flagyl for 10 days, then Cipro for 10 days. These didn't work so I then ended up taking Flagyl for 30 days. My stomach never got better. The only bug they ever found was blastocysis hominis. I don't know what the cause was, but I think it was either some bacteria or other pathogen, or the extended use of antibiotics.
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
Mark33180

Woohoo Kello Won Another First Page!!!!!!!!!!

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

Diagnosed with Crohn's 11/01 - Battling ever since
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #33
kello82

WAIT whattt?

when i posted that it was on the first page! im postive it was!!
this is so weird.........

well yayyyyyy i guess? lmao!
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
SpoonNinja
Spoonie

My Support Groups:
i dont know...i think ive always had it, when i was born i pooed in my mom before they got me out (she was in labor 72 hours tho) and had cleptoseic pnemonia but i was a pepto feen till i was diagnosed with cd and they told my i shouldnt drink that much of it...i loved that stuff too it used to be the only thing that helped!
be a ninja they have fun and get to randomly run around doing missions!! but beware of pirates theyre the ENEMY!!
Yahoo: [email protected]
Facebook: Tabathe Rammstein Obsessed Williams
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #35
straightpipe

Chicken Pox - Was 25 when I got the Chicken Pox and was running a 105 fever. Crohn's symptoms started about 6 months later.
05-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #36
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

do you think we have always had crohns but just needed something to "turn the switch on"?
sharon xx
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #37
fateful_one

straightpipe said:
Chicken Pox - Was 25 when I got the Chicken Pox and was running a 105 fever. Crohn's symptoms started about 6 months later.

I am the same way! I got chicken pocks when I was 22, was really sick for 2 weeks and then within 6 months I was having Crohn's symptoms. WTF!
05-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #38
pb4

merrywidow said:
do you think we have always had crohns but just needed something to "turn the switch on"?
sharon xx

Yes, cuz according to research there is a genetic predisposition but it must be triggered for the disease to become active.

05-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #39
kello82

im starting to wonder if theyver ever done studies like the one that we're doing, unoficially, in this thread.
fateful and striaghtpipe had the same diagnosis timeline type thing...there are so many people who went the c-diff route.....has anyone ever looked at crohnies side by side to see HOW and when they were diagnosed?
i feel like there are some real clues here.
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
pb4

Yes, check out this link about the GEM project via the CCFC....

http://www.ccfc.ca/English/research/gem.html
05-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #41
kello82

oh, i guess ive participated in something like this.
at childrens hosp of philly they took a blood sample and family history for a study

it just did not seem as in depth as what we're doing here i guess.....
05-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #42
jwoy42

I dunno if this could be a cause or trigger or what but my doc said it is possible that I "gave myself Crohn's.

As a child but mostly as a young adult I've had a candy addiction (it's a real addiction, dagnabit! Look it up!). Eventually I started having bad stomach pains and violent bowel movements after ingesting high amounts of high fructose corn syrup.

So the way I figure it, it is hereditary and all the high fructose corn syrup pretty much triggered it. Just a thought.
05-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #43
misscris

JillianB82 said:
Hmmmm, never really thought about it! I've read that several of you "ate" things. For some odd reason I used to eat coins when I was little. I guess I was trying to start my own savings account at a young age? Hmmmmmmmm
haha ... me too!!! I used to swallow pennies. I never planned to .. but I was an oral personand used to suck on stuff and ended up swallowing it.

W.C.C.....Charter member
05-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #44
mamma_jodi

My Immune System is to strong and attacks my body. I get sick with a cold or what ever and maybe 1 or 2 days later back to my normal self. I don't know what it feels like to have a fever, flu, or anything like that. I was sick as I child and remember that but from there not sure what happened but never been to sick. I do however get the cough every year almost that hangs around for about 3 weeks but feel fine with it. Usually have to go get some cough med. from the doctor to sleep.
05-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #45
D Bergy

I used to think my immune system was strong, because I never got very sick from Colds or Flu. Now, it is my belief that I never got very sick because my immune response was weak. It simply did not respond much to these viruses.

Since taking LDN my reaction to these illnesses has been much more pronounced, and I missed work today because of a virus that knocked me out. My reactions are now in line with what a normal person experiences.

It is a case where I was 100% wrong in my assumption, and I would not have known that except for the immune boosting properties of LDN and my experiences with Colds and Flu since taking LDN.

Dan
05-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #46
jecoll

I think I'm in the genetically-inherited camp. My father has some form of IBS, my brother has mild IBS ...and well, I was lucky enough to land with good ol' Crohn's.
05-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #47
misscris

My mom told me tonight I wasn't finished baking (was a preemie) and that's what my problem is. So can I just say that's what caused my Crohn's too?!?!

jecoll... I'm with you there. My sister, mom, brother, and my moms dad (I think it was grandpa who had it) have IBS. I'm just the lucky one who ended up with Crohn's instead.
05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #48
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

pb4 said:
Yes, check out this link about the GEM project via the CCFC....

http://www.ccfc.ca/English/research/gem.html
i got all the way through that website and was ready to enrol my son only to find it was for canadians only.
sharon
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
BTRoadie

I think I got it from the government milk, and infected dairy cattle
05-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #50
fallingrock26

for me it was stress that triggered it. I remember always having indigestive problems since being young tho...
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #51
pb4

merrywidow said:
i got all the way through that website and was ready to enrol my son only to find it was for canadians only.
sharon

LOL, sorry about that, hopefully they'll start the saemt ype of project in your area.

06-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #52
pb4

misscris said:
My mom told me tonight I wasn't finished baking (was a preemie) and that's what my problem is. So can I just say that's what caused my Crohn's too?!?!

jecoll... I'm with you there. My sister, mom, brother, and my moms dad (I think it was grandpa who had it) have IBS. I'm just the lucky one who ended up with Crohn's instead.

Hard to say for sure but I know there are tons of preemies out there that have not developed and IBD due to being preemies, though they still have to figure out all the possible triggers for IBD.

06-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #53
big.RHONDA

misscris said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianB82
Hmmmm, never really thought about it! I've read that several of you "ate" things. For some odd reason I used to eat coins when I was little. I guess I was trying to start my own savings account at a young age? Hmmmmmmmm

haha ... me too!!! I used to swallow pennies. I never planned to .. but I was an oral personand used to suck on stuff and ended up swallowing it.

I used to have a thing with sucking on paperclips, staples, nails, pencil lead, anything metallic, pretty much. Do either of you have iron-defficiency anemia?

My doctor said some children eat/suck on metallic objects as a subconscious response to iron defficiency. My anemic aunt did the same thing!

As far as what caused my crohn's I definitely believe genetics play a factor. I have:
2 aunts and 2 cousins with IBS
1 great uncle with ulcerative colitis
1 uncle and 1 great uncle with crohns
and now my mother and sister are going in to get their stomach problems checked on the advice of my GI.
2 of my friends AND their fathers have crohns.

And i definitely agree that it must be triggered. For me, symtoms started when I was about 6, and my mother was in an abusive relationship. Ever since, if I get extremely nervous I tend to throw up. But other than that my crohn's rarely makes me nauseous.

ALSO, I strongly believe that my diet has had a HUGE impact on my crohns. I was raised on processed foods. I think that is the number one reason my symptoms worsened.
Dairy is a problem for me too, I'm starting to realize, BUT I LOVE CHEESE!!
That, and, you guessed it, anti biotics!! I went from bronchitis, to strep throat, to sinus infections, back to strep throat.... as long as i can remember pretty much i was on anti biotics. Plus, I was very bad at taking them, which I now know is the WORSE thing you can do with antibiotics.

stress is definitely the #1 factor though... if i even think about THINKING about something that might make me stressed i feel my stomach tense up
06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #54
AmandaC

In my case I believe it's genetic (Grandfather had UC and Mum and Aunty have autoimmune diseases).

For years I was pushing my body (burning the candle at both ends) with work and finally I was so exhausted but wasn't making the necessary choices to slow down. Had a chest infection for a week, but still ignored my body, so it landed me in hospital with Crohn's.

I now have a much more balanced life and listen to my body when it tells me I need to rest.

So, in summary: Genes and stress
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #55
CD68

I can remember having stomach aches as a teen and "colon cramps" as a young adult but the day that I was hospitalized with a very bad MRSA infection was the day that I first began experiencing joint pain and it got worse from there.

In fact, I was convinced that I was suffering from some ill effects of the antibiotic they had given me to get rid of the infection.
06-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #56
thewarrior

It may just be a coincidence, but in high school i had swimming class and one time i swallowed a big gulp of pool water by accident. this was 9th grade and i was fifteen. that summer, right around my sixteenth birthday was when i started having symptoms.
06-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #57
Naps22

I'm pretty settled on Crohns NOT being genetic. I'm the only one in my family who has it. My brother, and sister are perfectly healthy. Mom and Dad are perfectly healthy, dad has some cholesterol problems but nothing other than that. None of my grandparents have ever had stomach problems. NONE of my aunt's and uncles have it. I feel saying the disease is genetic is such a cop out. There's a reason Crohns is unheard of in underdeveloped countries. Or practically unheard of in Asian countries. Or was practically nonexistant 100 years ago. I believe this is a disease completely caused by outside, environmental factors. What those factors are I'm not sure. Most likely has something to do with our lack of exposure to different forms of bacteria, combined with our extremely unhealthy eating habits, chemicals and preservatives put in our food, and overreliance on carbs and dairy. Could also be due to the numerous vaccinations we take as children which alter our immune systems.
06-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #58
chloechiller

I was on the pill and decided to stop taking it.
A week later I had diarrhea and did not stop til I was diagnosed with Crohn's, I think it was a hormone imbalance that started it.

3000mg of Mesalazine/day.
Fish oil
Vitamin D
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #59
Guest1

Naps22 said:
I'm pretty settled on Crohns NOT being genetic. I'm the only one in my family who has it. My brother, and sister are perfectly healthy. Mom and Dad are perfectly healthy, dad has some cholesterol problems but nothing other than that. None of my grandparents have ever had stomach problems. NONE of my aunt's and uncles have it. I feel saying the disease is genetic is such a cop out. There's a reason Crohns is unheard of in underdeveloped countries. Or practically unheard of in Asian countries. Or was practically nonexistant 100 years ago. I believe this is a disease completely caused by outside, environmental factors. What those factors are I'm not sure. Most likely has something to do with our lack of exposure to different forms of bacteria, combined with our extremely unhealthy eating habits, chemicals and preservatives put in our food, and overreliance on carbs and dairy. Could also be due to the numerous vaccinations we take as children which alter our immune systems.
I pretty much have came to the same conclusion. Now, personally I do think that Crohn's might be genetic in some cases, but for the most part I strongly believe it's enviromental. Granted, I have yet to be diagnosed, but around the time I started experiencing symptoms I was off and on antibiotics and in the back of my head I can't help but think it contributed to a "bacterial imbalance" of the sorts. The first time I went to the ER for pain I was put BACK on antibiotics and was reluctant, but took them anyway. I read something interesting the other day and wonder if it's been brought up (I'll see if I can find the article), but they were saying that there might be a link between mercury fillings and IBD.
06-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #60
chelli

For what it's worth, I caught a cold in October 08 and then I turned 40. I have not felt human since early Oct. I was very healthy up until then and Crohn's does not run in my family.

Chelli

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What do you think 'caused' your Crohn's?