Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Post surgery: how to cough without pain...

12-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Crohnsmomof3

My Support Groups:
Post surgery: how to cough without pain...

Looking for advice. I had a TI resection this past Friday. I am still in the hospital, hoping to go home in a day or two. I had about 100 cm of diseased and strictured small bowel removed. They removed two different segments. It was laparoscopic.

My question is this. I got a tickle in my throat this afternoon. When I started coughing (or really trying to cough), was in so much pain I was in tears. I am doing the breathing exercise thing and used a pillow to brace myself. But seriously, I thought it would be easier to just die. It was so painful.

Any advice, besides a pillow. Thanks all.

Diagnosed: 2004
Abcess: 2011
TI resection 2013 (60 cm of small bowel)

Current: Stelara, Methotrexate, Questran, B12 injections

Past medications: pentasa, remicade, humira, cimzia, imuran, prednisone, entocort, 6mp
Adverse reactions: Remicade, Humira, Cimzia, Imuran, 6MP

Diagnoses: Crohn's Disease, Iron deficiency Anemia, B12 Anemia, Osteoporosis, Anxiety
12-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Hey there

I'm sorry you're in pain , unfortunately coughing is going to hurt whatever you do, and since you need to clear your lungs from the anesthetic, you can't really avoid it.. I found making sure that my back was supported well by the bed helped, and instead of the pillow I was using a folded up blanket. I was told to press my pca every time I coughed while I could.

Other than that , make sure you breathe through the pain as much as you can, supporting the muscles is important to reduce hernia risk. It will get easier, but it takes time.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
12-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
David Abe's

Looking for advice. I had a TI resection this past Friday. I am still in the hospital, hoping to go home in a day or two. I had about 100 cm of diseased and strictured small bowel removed. They removed two different segments. It was laparoscopic.

My question is this. I got a tickle in my throat this afternoon. When I started coughing (or really trying to cough), was in so much pain I was in tears. I am doing the breathing exercise thing and used a pillow to brace myself. But seriously, I thought it would be easier to just die. It was so painful.

Any advice, besides a pillow. Thanks all.
May sound silly this bit worked for me on 3 ops I have had, if u can turn over face down on the bed, but a pillow under your stomach so your led on it, then put your face into another pillow face down, as your sort of restricted it reduces the intensity o the cough, so you pretty much cough into a pillow
12-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Besides cough suppressants and drinking fluids periodically to keep your throat lubricated I'm not sure what else would help. I started to vomit after I woke up after surgery so I know how painful it can be. Hope it stops soon.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Post surgery: how to cough without pain...