• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sick AGAIN after my Humira shot!!

Almost every time I take my Humira shot about a week later I am sick with an upper respiratory infection. Does this happen to anyone else? I have a cough,runny nose, muscle and headache :frown:

This happened to me when I was on Humira. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but the only time it went away was when I stopped Humira. Then a few months later I started Cimzia, and experienced the same thing. I got through it by taking Vitamin C and some cold medicines off and on, but for the most part I just had to deal with it. I'm sorry you are having this problem, I hope you find some relief.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
The day after my injection I would have an upper respiratory infection that would last up until 2-3 days before the next injection. I took Humira for 3 months before I had to stop.

Not everyone experiences this with biologics but a fair number do. If its causing more harm then good then you need to talk to your GI about trying something else. If its helping your Crohn's a lot then you have to weigh the pros and cons here. If your inflammation is high and your symptoms are bad then you may want to stick with Humira if its helping to reduce the inflammation and get your symptoms under control. For me I stopped taking it because my symptoms and inflammation were minor compared to the side effects Humira caused.

Almost every time I take my Humira shot about a week later I am sick with an upper respiratory infection. Does this happen to anyone else? I have a cough,runny nose, muscle and headache :frown:
You are not alone, I take humira and suffer bad for 3 days after every time

Hiya

I had this when I first started Humira (been on it about 3/4 months now). I would happen for 2/3 days after my injection, and I would feel really tired.

I started to take my injections on a night instead and it hasn't really happened since. When this was my body getting used to it or the time I take it. Maybe give it a go? If it works for you then it is worth sticking to.

Astra

Hiya Mary

I've stopped the Humira, the side effects far outweighed the benefits, and I was told it can't penetrate my scar tissue anyway, so I'm waiting for surgery instead. I've recently had so many reactions and side effects from all meds, it's a shame, I've tried my best, but my body has had enough and revolted!
Take care xxx

Hiya Mary

I've stopped the Humira, the side effects far outweighed the benefits, and I was told it can't penetrate my scar tissue anyway, so I'm waiting for surgery instead. I've recently had so many reactions and side effects from all meds, it's a shame, I've tried my best, but my body has had enough and revolted!
Take care xxx
Joan,
You going to have surgery? I hope you do well!!! I often wonder since Ive had Crohns in the same spot for the past 4 years now why cant they just take it out? I just don't understand. I know it can form in other places but it hasn't and Im not in remission on Humira. I still have inflammation...I refuse to go on prednisone!!!