• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to site and uc. stuck with no game plan...

Hi everyone I'm fairly new to this. It feels a little weird talking about this even though after months of talking about bowel function etc I should be used to it. So here is my story so far.
My name is Teale, I am 23,female, live in victoria BC Canada. I have been having (mild) symptoms since march when I did a (wild rose) detox and thought I had just screwed my body up from that. The 2 doctors I saw pretty much told me they couldn't do anything for what they thought was internal hemrhoids (mucus) and back to back oral canker sores (for 6 months). Durring the summer I started experiencing a lot of urgency, and by the week I was admitted, scoped and diagnosed in sept also had cramping, was making bathroom trips a million times a day, fever and pretty weak and bed bound. I was put on prednisone (6pills a day) and salofalk (4x2 times).
After a few weeks I was waking up in the night from 12am-7am like clock work almost every 30 min. I slept in the day when I wasn't working. It was 2 weeks of no sleep!!
I was taken off salofalk and my prednisone up to 8 pills. started feeling a bit better, then the call came in that my labs came back and I also had/ have cdiff... Which I actually can't figure out where I would have caught it. Since then I have been ok all things considering. I have since retried the salofalk (that I was on for almost a Month in the start!)to see if it was really the cdiff that was making me react so poorly. It wasn't (chest pain, shortness of breath to name a couple) same with a second (5-asa) my doc tried. So there I am down to 2 pills a day (2weeks) of prednisone and no other treatment for afterwards other than me self prescribing more prednisone "at a dose that you felt fine with" which if after 4 months hasn't put me in remission it won't ! So thats where I am today. I have been googling (and pinterest) supplements, juicing, bone broths etc anything really. So if you found something that works let me know. :)

Welcome to the forum, Teale. I am so, so very sorry to hear about the terrible time you have had. Your story sounds similar to my daughter's as she os 21 now and has suffered with moderate to severe Crohns for six years.

So, were you diagnosed with Crohns & cdiff or with UC & cdiff? Although my daughter has never had cdiff, I've read a ton of material about cdiff and it appears that in more than 95% of cdiff cases, it can be successfully treated with Fecal Matter Transplants (FMTs). If my daughter had cdiff, we would definitely talk to her GI about an FMT. Give it some thought.

http://www.womensmedicine.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-fecal-transplantation.html

Hi Lisa, now did I forget to include the most important part! I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Although i was told it still could be crohns as they present as very similarly, and it could take a year to properly diagnos. I have heard a little about the transplants, I hadn't thought of it being useful for cdiff. I was treated with a round of antibiotics in oct and think it's gone but I guess I will wait until the labs are back. Which is silly to me because they will come back positive if I am one of the %15 of the population that is a carrier. (Good bacteria keeps it in check) If I'm not a carrier I'm not sure how I could have contracted it (wasn't previously on antibiotics, or in the hospital other than that one day). Maybe if the camera wasn't cleaned properly before my scope?

Hi GI jane,
Welcome to our forum. You have found a great place for support and advice. It sounds like you have been having it pretty rough. There is a lot of good info here about UC and Cdiff you should take a look at all the subforums. Anyway just wanted to welcome you.