Share Facebook


12-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
brad1025
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: canton, Ohio
Question

Well I just got out the hospital from a bad flare up. I have Crohn's disease. And my doc came in and told me i can do one of two things surgery or humira. But the humira only has a slight chance of working. So I'm leaning towards the sugery. There going to remove 12in of my small intestine. So I guess my question is has anyone had surgery? And how has life been since you had it?
12-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor
 
Clash's Avatar
I would depend on the severity of the problem is he thinking that emergency surgery may soon be warranted?
Meds like Remicade and Humira can work wonders and prevent you from having to lose part of your bowel. Problem with Crohns being that it most often returns after surgery. Saving as much bowel as possible since some people with CD may have to have multiple resections throughout their life is one theory for meds first.

I would discuss all the pros and cons of both with your GI and how it fits with the progression of your disease since CD can vary from one individual to the next.

Good luck with the choices you make.
__________________
Clash
Mom to
C age 19
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara


Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
12-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
rygon
Moderator
 
rygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Grimsby, United Kingdom

My Support Groups:
The way I saw it when I was in hospital was that I could try the drug and if it didnt work I could have surgery, but if I went straight for surgery I would never know if the drug would work.

My choice was actually infliximab (remicade), which is another biological, and after 2mnths it was much better. Over a year later it feels like I don't even have the disease. Personally I'd give humira a chance. I know a fair few who are on it now and its helping a lot

Here's a UK factsheet on Humira http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/R...Adalimumab.pdf
__________________
Current Meds:
2x 1200mg Mezavant, 3x50mg Azathioprine, Infliximab (6 weekly)
12-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
brad1025
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: canton, Ohio
Thamks everyone for the replies. I go to the doc tomorrow. I'm still leaning towards surgery? So my question is can i tell my doc I'd rather have the surgery?
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
rygon
Moderator
 
rygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Grimsby, United Kingdom

My Support Groups:
Of course. Your doc has given you the choice. Although he/her may have a preference its totally down to you. As long as you are happy you have been informed enough to make a decision, go for it
12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
brad1025
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: canton, Ohio
How long does it usauly take to get surgery a couple weeks or days? And do I pick the surgeon and go see him/her?
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com