Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Temp colostomy, how long it takes to heal?

12-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Jimena

My Support Groups:
Temp colostomy, how long it takes to heal?

I mean, i have a temporary colostomy, because of severe perianal/rectum disease. I have had mys stoma fot 5 months now. I was in colonoscopy last week and my rectum looked like minced beef! Totally inflammed, even that i had prednison for months after surgery and humira every week and Imurel high doze.

What are the odds that it will ever even heal?
Colon removal and ileostomy 2015 -> So far so good

And after every stoma surgery, nasty Pyoderma Gangrenosum around my stoma.
12-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Samboi

My Support Groups:
Mine took 18 looooooooong months to heal.
I also had severe perianal disease.
The rectal stump developed colitis and had to be treated with Pred foam and salofalk foam.
Since the reversal - I've had an intestinal flare - but zero perianal disease and everything works like clockwork bum wise.
I had a flex sig not so long ago.
They said there was lots of scarring - but it all works just beaut.
Even a year after the stoma arrived - my bum was minced beef too.
Be patient.
Fingers crossed it will heal eventually.
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen
12-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
annawato

My Support Groups:
I guess how long it takes depends on the individual whether they are able to take a medicine that works etc. I've developed perianal disease since having this ileostomy. Never had problems down there before, other than the occasional abscess. My GI says it would be worse if I didn't have the ileostomy and at least I dont have the discomfort of regular poos but it still gets infected etc.
There have been a few people here who have had stomas for bottom problems and had success like Samboi has had so there is hope Jimena. Like everything with this disease it just takes time.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
12-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Jimena

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys, this really helps!

I have my appt with GI 22th january, so let's see what she thinks. I like my stoma so that's not the proplem, i just hate this waiting game.
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Jimena

My Support Groups:
Little more info.. i deside to keep my stoma atleast for this year but now i have quite large parastomal hernia! I am in pain! Everytime i stand up i have very bad pain and my bowels haven't work so good. I call my stomanurse today and i think i have to go to er cos i can't handle the pain anymore
04-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Let us know how you are getting on.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
04-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Jimena

My Support Groups:
I was at the er last week and now waiti g my surgeon and gi to call me. I don't know what should i do. I know i can't live like this for very long...
04-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Poor thing. Are you wearing a belt to help tuck in the hernia? You may need a custom nu hope belt that fits you and pushes it in.
04-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Jimena

My Support Groups:
I have this "abdomen binder" which they gave me after surgery i think it is hernia belt. It's uncomfortable. I have use a little lighter support but i don't think that it is tight enough.

I have to call my doctors next week. This sucks. I feel very depressed having all these proplems with my stoma. First pyoderma and now hernia. And i really don't mind the stoma, i kind of like it. I think my crohns is acting up too cos yesterday i had blood and bloodcloths coming out of my stoma.

Thanks NGNG!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Temp colostomy, how long it takes to heal?