• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side effects of Entocort/Humira

HI all
I am new to the forum,well I joined some time ago but have only plucked up the courage to post now !
I was diagnosed with crohns disease in 1998. My main symptoms then were weight loss that was happening over years, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. Anyway after a year on and off Pred, I was patched up and went back to college and finished my education. I really cant complain about the years that followed then. I had some problems but nothing that wouldnt settle again. The past 4 years have been tough though, In 09 I got myself a Gastro consultant who I must say is really good. I went from the usual blast of the dreaded Pred for a while to trying out Humira. Humira I find kinda "runs out" before my next injection is due, so since last month I am now on Humira weekly. Last year I started on entocort and I have found it very difficult to reduce the dosage from 3 X 3mgs. I've more or less been on entocort for 15 months at the max dose.
For the past three years I get iron infusions and in the past month I have found out that I have B12 deficiency. I got 4 injections over a couple of weeks and they have given me a great boost ! :dance:

During the summer I noticed that my menstrual cycle was reducing from a bang on 28 days to 18 days! :( and it could last for almost 2 weeks!!

Since those months my cycle has messed up even more ! now I dont know when my period is starting or finishing, or whether it is intermenstrual bleeding that I am having.
ahhhhhhhhhhh! I got in contacted with my GI doc and he has arranged a gynae consult at the end of January for me along with my check up with him.

No matter how bad my flare up are I never have any problems with my cycle, they are always spot on 28 days.
Has anyone else had any of these problems with entocort or humira ?

blueskies xx

Even before I was on any meds, I noticed that my Crohn's symptoms were MUCH worse during my period, so my GYN put me on a birth control pill continuously (I only take the active pills and skip the placebos). This way I don't get a period which helps that aspect of my symptoms. It may help with your iron problems. I, too, can't manage to wean the entocort, and Cimzia wasn't lasting four weeks so now I take a full dose every two.

Glad you got the nerve to post! I'm sure many of us can benefit from your experiences as well. Welcome!

All
Thanks for your replies. As i mentioned in my first post I have found it difficult to reduce down on the entocort.... but I have had more success over the past few weeks and am down now to two tabs yipeee! That side effect has eased and I dont have any intermenstrual bleeding now, although to be sure that all is ok I am still going for a gynae consult at my next gastro consult (in a couple of weeks)
I will ask this question again in the female only forum, I think it would be good to know if other women have had this issue (thanks for that David)

Blueskies XX