Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » LDN question. Starting on it monday

12-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
stickersteve

LDN question. Starting on it monday

I was diagnosed with crohns a few months ago. I tried some of the normal drugs like asacol and Entocort for a couple months and did not notice anything except for being lighter in the pocket. Maybe they were helping or I needed to give them some more time, but I am not spending $300 a month to find out. Enough people here have had success with LDN so I am going to give it a try, and it is a lot less money. I know that it is taken at bed time and some people have sleep issues. If this happens, can I take it when I normally get up to go to the bathroom, say around 3 or 4 in the morning or should it just be taken at bed time?
12-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hi Steve

I'd always advised folks to take it just before going to bed. I didn't put much stock in the 'sleep issues'. I'd never had any. On it for over 6 years now. OK, a while back I quit smoking... AND... lo and behold... the sleep issues others have mentioned from LDN came on like gangbusters. And the stock hit home. To me, it was like.. sleeping, but dreaming I was awake.. (I know that sounds bizarre, but it is the best description I can give). On Monday past, I met with my GI. Told her about the sleep issue. We talked over my options... and the 1st thing I'm trying is taking my pill earlier in the evening. I take it about 4 hours before I go to bed. And my sleep is perfectly fine now, restful and deep. Problem is... I don't know if that will affect whether or not my LDN keeps working.

My hope is not. And, so far, so good. If it does affect it, then I'll revert to taking it before bed AND finding a non addictive sleep aid to take with it. That's all the info I can offer.

All the best

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
12-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
superzeeman

I have been on LDN for about a month and I take mine right before bedtime. I don't think that I have experienced the sleep issues but I have always had vivid dreams so that side effect I may be having but not noticing. I have slept well though.
Buproprion
LDN
Lamictal
Mulit Vitamins
Probiotics
Low Carb
Beer
Coffee
Cigars
12-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Queastor

Asacol withdrawal is unpleasant(was for me) Just a heads up on that. Never used Entocort. Same as above been on LDN for about a month.

Dream this morning. Got out of room through hallway into other room(bathroom) Sink turned into a door with a thief archtype woman with a knife in her right hand impatiently fidgeting because of the danger. Everything turned into a big dirt field (with a small hill on it) I started walking around to attact a monster (basically like a tremor monster except the image in my mind was a giant mandrake monster) A couple people went on top of the hill to make noise to attract attention Plan:dodge attack and kill monster when it appears. Noticed leaves moving around. There was literally a countdown 5.. 4.. 3.. with the numbers showing on the ground. Then I woke up and my first thought was that i wouldn't be fast enough to dodge the monster and that everyone was too spread out to attack it. Then I realized I was awake.
12-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Kev

My Support Groups:
Well, I was never on Asacol. But, I was on Salofalk (just another of the 5-ASA brand names... I don't think there is much difference in the drug itself). Anyway, I came off it cold turkey a year ago. I didn't go through any withdrawal of any type. Just the opposite. I actually stopped experiencing side effects of the 5-ASA that had crept up on my so slowly that I didn't realize what they were, or how bad they were. Acid stomach and leg cramps that were wicked. Stopping the 5-ASA stopped both. No other issues at all since.
12-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Queastor

I should probably mention my side effect was mainly nausea and sensitivity to cold water.

Which could have been ulcers caused by the asacol actually.

Last edited by Queastor; 01-06-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » LDN question. Starting on it monday