• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cutting Seton & returning to labor work? I need Advice!

Hello All,

I had a Cutting Seton put in place Dec. 3 2013. I was groggy when my doctor came to see me bedside after the surgery. I believe he said he just left it loose for now and he would start tightening it in a month or so.

I work a pretty laborious type job. But when there isn't a lot of laborious work to be done. I walk trails looking for dangers, scouting campsites and fishing areas for debris, I counted, on a slow day, how many times I got in/out of my vehicle, 27 times that's 27 in and 27 out not including other misc stops. Also a lot of bending and squatting.

Even though, I don't have insurance my doctor has been great and has done almost everything pro-bono. He really seems to care (I've been through a diverticuli rupture (that almost killed me), a serious anal abscess that lead to the fistula). He's a general surgeon, I respect his opinion but I don't know if I should agree with it.

I'm hoping other people will chime in their experiences during the cutting/tightening process. There isn't much online about the process and possible dangers; except that if it cuts through my sphincter too quick.

How much time should I allow for healing between tightening/cutting procedures? My doctor says (knowing what I do for work) max 3 days of recovery after.

This isn't a simple discussion to make on my own. I've already had a Colostomy for 7 months after the diverticuli ruptured. I don't want to do something stupid and cut my sphincter and have another one and this time for life.

I know everyone heals different and nobodies body is the same. I've gone through a lot of posts here and have read about unintentional cutting from even a loose Seton. Anyone that is kind enough to share their experiences with cutting Seton's would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.