• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible alternative to surgery

My husband has crohns and has been having balloon dilations every 6 months as a way of preventing further surgery for his stricture. So far it has been working well and I wanted to let you all know that this is a viable alternative to surgery. This is the third time I have posted this info and so far very little response.....I am thinking this procedure isn't well known or understood. Understandably he only has crohns in one place in his bowel and is his is not a complicated case but he did have surgery 13 years ago and had a section of bowel removed and he would try anything to avoid going there again. We had never heard of this procedure until about 18 months ago and judging by my lack of responses on this forum nor have you guys!

My Mum who also has Crohn's has had it done successfully, she was rapt to avoid further surgery having already been under the knife twice. It has been a really good result for her.

Unfortunately my stricture was too long (12cm) to have this done, but it seems a really good option if the strictured segment is short.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm glad that the procedure is working for your husband Silke. :) Balloon dilation, resections and strictureplastys are all mentioned as possibilities when dealing with strictures here on the forum. Location, type and length is what helps your surgeon decide which will be best for you. Balloon dilation is also not permanent.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/718708