• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Resection & Christmas food / alcohol

Hello All,

So it's nearly 2 weeks after my resection and all seems to be healing well :) so pleased!

With Christmas in a few days I'm just wondering if there's any foods I should avoid from the traditional Christmas lunch?

Also although I do not want to get drunk, I might fancy a glass of wine with my Christmas lunch, but is it too soon after the op for a glass of wine?

Merry Christmas to you all, hope you have a good one :)

Yvette.

Hi Yvette, I am 19 days postop too. I have just started to add some more fibrous foods a little at a time such as a few beans, some tomato and a little lettuce. So far so good.

I'm on metronidazole though so no alcohol, no brandy butter :(, probably no plum pudding either. I think I'd be a bit wary about plum pud anyway with all the dried fruit. We have pavlova for those who don't like plum pudding, so I'll eat that. Berries seem to be ok too. Turkey, ham, seafood, roast veggies all should be ok.

It will be 30 degrees Celsius here so we will be having a cold Christmas lunch. I'll be careful with the salads, maybe only eat softer stuff.

Merry Christmas, hope you enjoy the day!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :) wow 30 degrees, we don't even see that in our summer lol lol! I don't like Christmas pudding so I won't be missing out on that.

The hospital just told me to eat normally!! But I had broth one day and I sure knew about it after!! So I've been eating low fibre foods after reading about it on here.

Really don't know about the glass of wine, think I might give it a miss and be sure to make up for it all next year lol!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Great post,I am 3 weeks post-op and am nervous about upcoming Christmas gatherings.It will be my first get together since my surgery and being diagnosed with Crohn's.My family is supportive,so thankful for that.I would like to have a glass of wine for the Christmas toast.

Thanks Dave13 :) I hope you're recovery is going well? I'm confused as to whether I'm doing too much or not enough each day...lol.

That's great about your family, mine are the same, it really helps doesn't it?! I think I'll just have a child's portion of dinner this year and hope that's ok on my stomach and think I'll risk the one glass of wine....lol!

Have a lovely Christmas.

The main issue with alcohol will be if you are on painkillers or other medications. Check the leaflets of any meds you're taking. Other than that alcohol in a small quantity should be ok in that it won't do you any lasting harm, but it might cause a stomach upset or other symptoms - so it's up to you how much you want the drink compared to how much pain/diarrhoea you're willing to risk. ;) Although some people can have alcohol with no problems. I'd stick to a drink you knew you were alright with prior to surgery, and start with a very small amount, then have a bit more later if you're feeling ok. One or two glasses of wine should be ok.

For food, it's things with fibre and things which are really rich which are the things to look for. As was already mentioned, Christmas pudding could be a big problem due to all the dried fruit - this goes for mince pies and Christmas cake too. Avoid any dried fruit and definitely any nuts! Brandy butter might be too rich, but in small quantities it should be ok. I'm planning on having chocolate Yule log in place of Christmas pudding. :)

The Christmas dinner main course itself isn't too bad turkey, gravy, potatoes should all be fine. If the veg is very well cooked it should be ok.

Do satsumas even get eaten at Christmas anymore? :p If they do, avoid them, lol.

Hi Unxmas :)

Thanks for your feedback. I'm definitely only having one glass of wine, I'm not a big drinker and when I do have a rare night out I really pay for it the day after..uuurrrgghhhh!

Yes that's what I was thinking about food...the fibre in the veg. I'm not into christmas pudding etc, so I'll be ok there. Yummy yule log....youve got me wanting that now! lol!

Lol about satsumas! Made me laugh!

Have a lovely Christmas :) Yvette