Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » 1 hr infusion vs 2 hr

12-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
1 hr infusion vs 2 hr

So, is anyone doing the new 1 hour infusion now? My hospital cancer treatment/infusion center where I go is now giving us Remi patients the option to go one hour instead of the 2 hr infusions. Apparently they have found that if the patient can tolerate it there is no change in how the drug affects the patient.

I have been doing it for the last 6 infusions and love it. I'm a little more tired than usual which sucks cause I drive 2 hrs to do this, but all in all it is worth it.

I do have a friend here that is going to a different center there for Remi for his arthritis. At the arthritis center they will not do this. He was surprised that it was available. One of the OC nurses at my hospital said that some of those patients have 6-8 hr infusions. Oh man, I don't think I could do that.

Just thought I would get your thoughts on it.
12-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Kendra Cox

My Support Groups:
my Gastro has my infusions 4 hours and i had to have a port
12-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
My loading doses stated at 6hrs IIRC Im now ruffly at 3hr. If they think you will be fine at 1hr, Id do it.
The billing is way cheaper the less time your on the pump
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
My infusions take 2 - 3 hours. The nurse at the clinic turned it up to 1 hour once - never again. I was so sick for weeks after that. I raised holy heck at the clinic when I went in again and now it takes 2 - 3 hours again.

Dx: Crohns - 2010
Dx: Severe cervical spondylosis/foraminal stenosis, ruptured discs
Dx: Severe lumbar ruptured discs
Dx: thyroid cancer - 2 surgeries - done with
Rx: Remicade, Methotrexate, Lyrica, Butrans patch
Vitamin D, C, B, calcium
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
ThanksP

I can't do one hour because I get a slight reaction when the infusion speeds up. From admission to discharge, it takes me 7-8 hours. I would be happy if I could speed up the entire process. But at least the hospital is nice, the staff are great, and the food is pretty darn good. Most importantly, the Remicade has been working perfectly for me so i can't complain.
12-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Kendra Cox

My Support Groups:
i haven't had that many side effects beside joint pain and being extremely tired. I missed my last infusion but see my GI Jan 6th. He is not gonna be too happy. I just recently got my medical card and owe him money plus surgeons you name it. I've had to file bankruptcy because of the debt.
12-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
Oh my. I sure feel for all of you. But I think I must just really tolerate it well. I even went off it for about 18 mos and used Humira. When it didn't work very well I went back to Remi with no problems. That is kind of rare from what I can tell.

Here's another thought. My dose is being increased from 5 ml to 10. Now you have me wondering if I should go back to 2 hrs. Guess I will call my GI and see what she says.
12-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
2 hours here and never had an option to go faster but I think I would opt for it and see how I reacted.
12-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
Just talked to the infusion center pharmacist. She said the dose doesn't drive the time but my tolerance of the drug and the time on the drug (in my case about 9 years). So, looks like I can do the 1 hr infusion even with double the dose.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » 1 hr infusion vs 2 hr